Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lakes Route – starting close to Kendal?
  • Alex

Firstly, I’ve done a search! The one that kept coming up was a 45km epic labelled ‘whiteside’ on someone’s strava. We’re there on Sunday, forecast looks okay. Plan was to repeat the Conniston ride we did back in April but it’s a bit of a drive from where we’re staying and we’d quite fancy something else, if

a) it’s less than 6 hours as we’ve got to get back to Ross at some reasonable time
    b) it starts closer to kendal
    c) it’s navigable and has a GPX
    d) it’s not a total bog-slog although appreciate it’s the lakes so carrying/big puddles a given.

I know there’s a few lakes riders on here so hoping for some good advice. Ta.

martinhutch

There are a load of routes starting from Staveley which would fit the bill. I’m sure Rich will be along in a minute with more precise suggestions. Three passes would seem to be the default option given what you’ve written.

Alex

Thanks Martin. I should have said we did Nan Bield last year (a slightly extended version which seemed to require a two hour push/carry!) so not going to do that again. I’ll google three passes…

martinhutch

Three passes does involve Nan Bield and plenty of push/carry. A shorter alternative is to just do Garburn from the Troutbeck side, over to Sadgill and then back to Staveley across Green Quarter.

Alex

Yeah I just looked at that on a GPX. Definitely an option but see if anything else comes up…

whitestone
    Free Member

Maybe the eastern bit of the JennRide as far as Ambleside or a slight variation? Staveley over Green Quarter to Longsleddale, then Sadgill back over to Kentmere. Over Garburn to Limefitt, round by Jenkins Crag to Ambleside. Return to Limefitt but go round by Dubbs and High Borrans, head towards Kentmere but turn right and head down Three Rivers back to Staveley.

Alex

That sounds good whitestone.. we do have the right map for that but do you have a GPX that covers it off?

whitestone
    Free Member

Sorry but it’s not hard to follow by map as there aren’t really any other tracks leading you astray. I’m pretty sure someone will have one or two though as it’s a popular area. You could use bikehike to create your own then let someone look at it to see if you’ve made any errors.

Edit: just created one which I can email to you if you want. It’s 30 miles (the route I outlined above)

If you find you are short of time then you can skip the bit going to Ambleside.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Head across to Ambleside – nothing like as far as Coniston – and ride the Langdales, Hodge Close, Loughrigg etc etc – awesome rocky, techy riding without any bogs or carries. Email me mtbguiding@gmail.com if you want a gpx. Or buy a really good guidebook 😉

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0957364504/ref=pe_1997891_155269631_em_1p_0_ti

lowey

Cheeky kentmere Horseshoe ?

Fair bit of carrying but some stunning descents and a couple of really Tech bits.

You got lost if anyone asks and I’ll deny all knowledge.

Alex

🙂 Thanks Lowey… I’ll add it to the ‘provisional’ list.

@Mtb – dropped you a mail. ta.

Mbnut
    Free Member

So I am up in the Lakes at the weekend too.

Arriving Friday afternoon after a fair drive so will probably trail centre it or just eat and drink, Saturday a mate is showing me around a Skiddaw loop.

Sunday I was going to grab a map and follow my nose going by some of the names I have read on here. Looks like a loop around Staveley might be a good option.

If you don’t mind another along Alex i’d gladly buy the teas… but totally understand if not.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d be wary of bearded fat bike rides sleeping rough near a pub. Its quite common in those parts.
    Postierich knows some decent riding around the Grey town.
    Scout Scar and Brigsteer are very local. But its not that far to get to Burneside or Staveley and depending on your legs you can ride all you want.

postierich
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Route – starting close to Kendal?’ is closed to new replies.