Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • lakes route needed?
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

Im heading up the lakes in feb and i wanna do an overnighter in the bivy bag anyone recommend any good routes or overnight spots please?

boxelder

Depends on the weather – it’s freezing at the moment and icy as. You could get in real trouble bivvying.
    Which areas were you thinking?

mikeclarke
    Free Member

no probs there ive just been in mid wales bivvying in -5 pretty cold!
    er… around the ambleside area but can travel out.

d45yth
    Free Member

There’s quite a few caves about, if you plan around staying in one of those you won’t need to change anything if it’s raining.

sppedymat
    Free Member

Mad,I don’t do Bivying! I will be staying in a nice heated cottage in Ambleside half term week. My favorite route ever is going from Windermere and up over Garburn Pass and then finshing in Ambleside, and refilling with the best choc brownie in the world at the rattle grill cafe behind the tourist information centre in Ambleside!. I do it as a day ride.

If you want the route I can share it off my memory map thing! Where in Mid Wales did you go? I live in Llandrindod Wells!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

@sppedymat…yeah ill take that route please to have a look could u email it to mjc_226@yahoo.co.uk, I rode from Dolgellua around the back of cadair and bivyed at LLyn Barfog near Mach then back the following day via dovey forest. wicked ride heres a couple of pics
    ][/url]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Big loop of Skiddaw, riding every trail. Gives Lingy Hut as an overnight backup option….

mikeclarke
    Free Member

ir_bandito. could u explain more? Ive done a loop of skiddaw before but it was only a few hrs. Where is this Lingy Hut please i could be interested!! do u have a grid for it

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lingy Hut:

Its here

If you piece together every trail on Skiddaw and the Caldbeck Fells in one big loop its comes to about 50 suprisingly hard miles. I did once plot a route on Memory Map. I’ll dig it out later…

mikeclarke
    Free Member

never knew it was there…looks wicked thanks ive just looked at MM to see about a route but not sure what is ridable or not so if u can find gpx that would be spot on many thanks, mike

tomaso
    Free Member

Angle Tarn above Hartsop always seems such a nice place to wildcamp
    Streetmap of Angle Tarn
    Nip over to Boredale Hause, Boredale and then the Ullswater Lakeshore and for breakfast!
    Loads of routes to get you there and more than enough mountain pass action.

lowey

One I’m doing in summer.

Park Rosthwaite, climb honister, descend Wharnscale bottoms, over Scarth Gap into Ennerdale, Over Black Sail to Wasdale, climb to styhead. Then either bivvy at Styhead or Sprinkling tarn, Next Day, Rosset Ghyll into Langdale, Up and over Stake Pass and down Langstrath to Rosthwaite.

Lovely. But cold this time of year. Good Luck.

tomaso
    Free Member

The top of Rossett Gill was ffffffeckin fffffreezing and blowing a gale at the end of November. By contrast I did the Tour of Great Gable and the passes you describe in September and it was balmy.

Both great days out, in succession they’d be fantastic but I’d miss the pub action if I were bivvying.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mike – ygm

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Not far from the Lingy hut down Borrowdale is the Cave that Millican Dalton lived in. Its not bad as caves go! 🙂

http://www.brannan.co.uk/millican_dalton/cave.html#cat

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lowey, that sounds a cracker, I’ll have to look into that.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

cheers all got some good ideas to mix up now!!

mikeclarke
    Free Member

@lowey…is most of ur route uve described ridable or some of it pushing i seem to remember some of the sections uve mentioned as being rocky when walking? Not 100% tho, may have to figure it out on map and have a go thanks

lowey

Mike, bit of carrying involved up Black Sail, Scarth Gap and up to Styhead. Sticks also will be a push.

But hey… your in the wilds of high Lakeland. It goes with the territory.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My pics from 4-Pass route here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ir_bandito/sets/72157629586640551/

Didn’t do the Rosset Gill/Stake Pass bit, but I’ll be back, oh yes…

Somewhere on the forum is a thread with loads of pics of the route, in fantastic conditions too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mike – your email account just spammed me…

mikeclarke
    Free Member

ir_bandito…sorry about that it keeps sending shit to my friends. Tossers on the net i assume!!

boxelder

There’s some great descents around Lingy hut, but wet at the moment. The mine access type trails north are the best bet. If you don’t mind nav and some pushing, there’s a loooong descent off Great Sca Fell near there.

Chew
    Free Member

Lowey, give me a shout when you’re thinking of doing your route and i might join you?

bit of carrying involved up Black Sail

Its not a proper Lakes ride without a carry

mikeclarke
    Free Member

chew. thats prob the route ive got in mind with a bit added on

ir_bandito
    Free Member

bit of carrying involved up Black Sail

Like this:

mikeclarke
    Free Member

think we will leave this one for a day ride when were not loaded up!! thanks for the heads up

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘lakes route needed?’ is closed to new replies.