Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lakes route advise (again please ) Borrowdale content
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Just a little advise if someone can help out ..
    Two weeks off work and planning a few routes around the lakes , High st and Skiddaw sorted , just want any pointers on an extension to the Borrowdale bash .

Start as normal over Wandlath to Seatollor then the fun begins ..Over past the slate mine (Honister) Down to Buttermere for food and smiles then somehow back over to Grisedale, maybe via Whiteless or Gasgale and finish around whinlatter ..sound do able or is it going to be a gruller

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t start as normal, head up past castlerigg caravan park along walla crag to ashness bridge, watendlath, then over honister as you say. From there we recently went up Gasgale and over grisedale pike.
    Stonkingly brilliant day!.

stevedoc
    Free Member

If you have route/gpx id be well up for some of that 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Wharnscale (as you propose) would make the Bash almost worthwhile.

martinhutch

Can the bit from Seatoller to Grange on the standard Bash be ‘improved’ much? Never really liked the Castle Crag descent – just seems to be endless slabs of rock put down for the walkers.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres a permissive trail thats often missed just out of Seatoller, Turn right through some large slate gate posts,this trail is technical but a good challenge to clean, up onto the top path and then joins the castle cragg descent.

senorj

+1 on the seatoller permissive path,just when I think I have it cleaned, i wheel spin.ha.
    I often add whinlatter on to the borrowdale bash . Usually after cake in portinscale. 🙂
    Btw I love that castle crag descent…..used to hate it after it kept swallowing my front wheel.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well the look of Grisedale from Honister has me a little worried ..the Bash is a 3 hour blast but adding that to might be a little to much , just the thought of getting back up to Grisedale pike just wondering the best way ..up Whiteless ? grassmoor or hopegill head

TomB

Gasgale gill is by far the best option for getting from Buttermere Valley to grisedale pike. You can also return via Rigg beck if knackered or weather poor,avoiding the big height gain. Walla crag start is a Bash essential, imo.

el_boufador

ooh I like the look of that Gasgale Gill, not been up there before, just been stalking on Google images. That would really be a grand day out incorporating bash bits and back down Grizedale pike /hobcarton.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Thanks I will try to find a route ..

el_boufador

by the way, what’s the reckoning about descents off Grasmoor? Was walking with the family on Rannerdale Knotts and there looked to be an interesting trail coming down – just ooked on the map, Lad Hows is the ridge it comes down

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route advise (again please ) Borrowdale content’ is closed to new replies.