Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lakes route advice….
  • mrh86

A few friends and I are heading up to scotland for a weekend of riding, and are planning on stopping off in the lakes friday afternoon for a short(ish ride)

The friends I am going with have never ridden anything outside a trail centre. Are there any routes (ideally in the south lakes) which you think would give them an eye opener. GPS files welcomed 🙂

Cheers

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Parkamoor 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

From the motorway Staveley/Kentmere are is fairly accessable. Garburn Pass would be a good eye opener for someone who'd never ridden outside a trail centre. Jenkin Crag descent into Ambleside is fantastic too.

Something in the Howgills from Sedbergh would be another good option easily accessable from the motorway.

mrh86

ir_bandito: I havent ridden parkamoor myself either, I'll look into that!

Grumm: Yea the jenkin crag descent to ambleside is very good! I am still yet to ride Garburn so that may be an option 🙂

TomB

15 mins drive from J40 is Threlkeld, just before Keswick. Park there and ride up past the Blencathra field centre to Skiddaw house, then back the other side of the valley to Latrigg, descent to Keswick then disused railway back to car. 2 hours tops, and a nice intro to the North Lakes, easily accessible form the motorway.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Depends what you want – grassy slopes, big angles and stupid speed = Howgills (there are some decent shortish loops that can be done around those parts, the descent down from The Calf past Winder and back into Sedbergh is just epic, and pretty easy for those used to groomed trails)

Going into the Lakes is just a complete pain in the arse at the moment. If you aren't fighting tourists it's floods! Slow going 🙁 That would suggest either around Kendal/Stavely or along the A590 for Grizedale. I would be tempted to go for the latter myself, but I aint done much in the Kendal area as yet!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Downside with Parkamoor is its a bit more of a trek from the motorway so perhaps some of the other options are better suited.

However, if you gonna do parkamoor then you mayaswell do seathwaite walna scar and all that stuff

grumm
    Free Member

Bit more driving but this is a cracker – http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=2338

edit: its seathwaite and walna scar as mentioned above

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It's a decent road (by Lakes standards) to Parkamoor/Grizedale though, well… other than the last bit! You don't get stuck behind Mrs Miggins in her Micra doing 20 and slowing for the corners 😉

grumm
    Free Member

the descent down from The Calf past Winder and back into Sedbergh is just epic, and pretty easy for those used to groomed trails)

Yup – you can achieve silly speeds and the views are spectacular. Doesn't take long to get up and down either.

It's a decent road (by Lakes standards) to Parkamoor/Grizedale though

Yeah it's not too bad but a little way from the motorway. Still I think it's probably my favourite regular riding spot though. Parkamoor-Nibthwaite or to Satterthwaite are both superb.

mrh86

Cheers for the advice everyone. I fancy doing parkamoor but will have to see how things pan out. Grumm: I'll email you about sorting out a ride sometime!

grumm
    Free Member

Cool – when are you going? Might be able to get out on a Friday afternoon and show you round some stuff maybe if you fancy it.

samcamsdad

staveley is 15 mins from j36 of the m6. park outside wheelbase, and do garburn from there, about 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending which route you take. the lads at wheelbase will point you in the right direction. been doing that ride for 20 years and still love it!

allmountain76
    Free Member

As already said – Garburn from Troutbeck Limefitt side, down to Kentmere church, through the farm and down past High Borans / Rivers Meet back to Staveley. My night ride – takes 2 1/2 hours tops. 15 minutes from M6.

mrh86

Definitely thinking garburn is the place to go! Nice and close to the M6. Thanks for the suggestions

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As Samcamsdad says,Stavely is ideal as your not far from the M6 (junc36) and theres some of the best singletrack and great decents/climbs as an ideal introduction to the lakes,call in to wheelbase and they will advise you on the best routes. (can also recommend Wilfs Cafe next door) 😉

allmountain76
    Free Member

Wilfs is a rip off frequented by tourist bikers 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wilfs is a rip off frequented by tourist bikers

tourists aren't necessarily bad, and Wilf's is quite a good place to go, though the service can be very slow sometimes.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Wilfs is a rip off frequented by tourist bikers

I tend to agree. Service is abysmal.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As sfb says,but it gets busy so service can be slow. 😐

allmountain76
    Free Member

Go to the Eagle and Child, especially on a Sunday.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lakes route advice….’ is closed to new replies.