Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Lakes rides – what must I do?
  • lowey

Lot of effort for not much reward mate.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KJyQZf]IMAG0653[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

Thats the view from Brown Pike over to Dow Crag.

If your intent on bagging Dow Crag, then I’d take the excellent techy descent from Dow down to Goats Hause, turn right and then pick up WS at Cove Bridge. OR if your really up for it, carry up onto the old man and take the tourist route down to the start of the Crowberry Hawes path. I;ve never done the tourist route, but its on the to do list.

wl
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a long day and lots of hike-a-biking, 4 Passes is great. Also both sides of Nan Bield in one day.

madedgar
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection, doing Helvellyn in a couple of weeks. having read through a couple of threads there seems to be varying opinions on the best route.
    So, which is your favourite route and why?

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Helvellyn divides opinion, lots of love for sticks and seldom seen, I found it not bad, nowhere near my Lakes top descents tbh.

Dollywaggon pike is a it love/hate, it’s a bit steppy, but then the descent down from the Tarn is pretty good I’d imagine (I’ve only ever went up it!).

There’s Birkside off toward Thirlmere too, Haven’t done that though, sounds good though, but then you have to get back up and over.

It’s not that long to get up Keppel cove, if you start early it’s entirely feasible to do it twice, find out which you like for yourself.

rascal
    Free Member

Just back from Lakes trip.
    Hideous weather Sat am meant we ended up riding a lower level route around the Langdales from Coniston instead of doing Walna Scar so that’s still on the to-do list…met Pook of this parish near Loughrigg Terrace. Sun eventually came out to play in the afternoon. Sunday was pissing down again so ended up doing TNF at Grizedale as mate only had a few hours to play with…not ridden it in 10 years or so. Nice bits in the trees but so much bloody fire road! A borked tyre and slight reluctance to getting soaked 3 days in a row meant coming home a bit earlier than planned 😕

madedgar
    Free Member

Thanks Nobeer.

tomaso
    Free Member

I can strongly advocate against parts of the Caldbeck fells as it is soft as wet shite and slow going. There are some gems in there but it is a lot of effort to get the reward.

mbnutter
    Free Member

Bloody hell… heading up for a few days at the end of October, thought I had route plans reasonably settled but now confusion reigns supreme.

Will get the maps out and try and get my head around some of the above suggestions.

Great thread.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bloody hell… heading up for a few days at the end of October, thought I had route plans reasonably settled but now confusion reigns supreme.

Will get the maps out and try and get my head around some of the above suggestions.

Great thread.

I always plan to go high level in the Lakes, as views and hikeabikes float my boat, but there’s a few lower level shite-weather bail out options that I turn to when the need arises – Bash and derivatives of it, UBW, loughrigg, garburn and jenkins crag etc…

Means I always have a good weekend.

boxelder

Hideous weather Sat am

It was lovely in N Lakes. Driving through to Kendal in the evening, I couldn’t believe how much water was everywhere.

andyr
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection to bookmark for plans…

Move along now.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I’m off to the Lakes on Friday. I could spend a few hours with maps trying to work out what all the above means, or…… does anyone have some GPX routes that are good for Ambleside/Troutbeck based rides? 3-5 hour long.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Lakes rides – what must I do?’ is closed to new replies.