• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lakes must do ride for an intermediate rider
  • kiwicraig

So thanks for the advice in my other thread we’re stopping at the Lakes on the way to Scotland for a day/day and a half of riding.

I’ve spent the last few hours trawling old threads for route advice and I’m a bit overwhelmed!

Riding with the GF who whilst a decent and fit rider hasn’t ridden much in the way of rocky trails in the past so this could be a baptism of fire! Looking at videos of say Dollywagon descent that’s definitely out of her league.

So what’s a good day ride, nice views/back country ish feel, not too much hike a bike with intermediate (for want of a better word) descents? I was looking at Helvellyn Sticks Pass videos which looks do-able?

I’ve ordered the vertebrate graphics lake district book but it’ll take a while to get here. Maybe I’ll just wait till that turns up and pick a route from there, in which case where’s a good central place to look for accommodation that I can get to most of the popular spots from?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From the book thats coming

Grizedale BW loops (Route 6 & 18)
    Some of the Iron Keld and Loughrigg loops
    Borrowdale Bash
    High St (parts) and Ullswater Singletrack

Some good fun loops

djflexure

If you want a long day then the circuit of Windermere is really nice. Stopped for lunch at Lakeside. I think its from the vertebrate book, or could be from the other one with orange cover. Final run down Jenkins Cragg was the only bit my wife walked.

Otherwise runs through Langdale/ Little Langdale / Loughrigg are nice. Good bakery (Chesters) at Skelwith Bridge for lunch.

Borrowdale bash – might be a bit difficult for your GF. Descent from Watendlath to Rosthwaite for instance is rocky. Lots of climbing then a walk down and no smiles.

Trekster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27084274@N08/sets/72157651557796829/
    This was my last Lakes trip(25mls) The wind and wnd chill prevented us doing more that day 😆
    If you substitute the big hike up onto Great Calva with the normal tip down to Mosedale and then across The Calbeck Fells and back up White Water Dash climb it would be a good ride.

Garburn Pass + Kentmere from Staveley? Easy to get to from the South(free parking, bike shop and cafe)rather than over to Grizdale unless you use the ferry over the Lake. Getting parked in Windermere could be a pain 💡

Most bike shops have local route maps for a few £s

My mate bought the book mentioned but was surprised to find I already have some ancient, battered maps already marked up having ridden most before it was printed, some with the guidance from Andy @ Biketreks.

If you are looking for bike shops/bike bits;
    Wheelbase are the largest in Staveley, then Biketreks in Ambleside before a stop at Keswick Mountain Bikes in ……… All can provide info on routes, just take your map in.
    http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/guides/
    Via the KMB site; http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/staveley-and-garburn-pass/

Trekster

in which case where’s a good central place to look for accommodation that I can get to most of the popular spots from?

Ambleside.
    However accom providers in the Lakes tend to ask for a 2-3 night min stay!
    Penrith is an option, not far from Keswick and there is a Travelodge just off the M6 💡
    Good YHA and Indy hostels in Ambleside and Keswick if that’s an option 💡
    Another option; http://www.castlerigg.co.uk/camping-pods/ 😆

kiwicraig

Lots of climbing then a walk down and no smiles.

Exactly what I fear might happen so thanks for the real world advice all, much appreciated!

Trekster: Nice pics, can’t wait for a proper British pub and steak and chips now 🙂

Trekster

Gpsies is another resource used by MBR mag

Trekster: Nice pics, can’t wait for a proper British pub and steak and chips now

Try here for accom/food with riding from the door 😆

Home

Junkyard
    Free Member

Garburn Pass + Kentmere from Staveley?

Rode it yesterday in the rain and I am not sure I would call the descent easy [ its not hard either but it may be at the limit of intermediate] – look on you tube – probably easier than the Bash

You can then come back up from the farm and get another descent on the way back – circa 2 hours at a pootle pace and very very easy to navigate.

Depending on when you are over I may be able to ride with you if required

Trekster

I think any “intermediate” rider should expect a bit of walking, up or down, were not talking miles unless you’re attempting Walna Scar, High St or Helvellyn . The climb up to Watendlath and Honnistor on the ‘Bash can be a hike for some, I remember those days 🙄 Still have to push up Honnistor if my back groans!!
    Given the OP is probably coming over from NZ then I think his description of his GF being “fit” means she could well be much fitter/capable than the regular stw rider 😉

I’m one of those “in between” riders. Take loads of beginners and intermediates out and then go out with riders who make me feel like a beginner 😥 Never been too proud to get off and push, especially when on a road trip 💡 I’ve seen people break themselves or their bike on the first day of a holiday and it’s not much fun 😕

kiwicraig

Given the OP is probably coming over from NZ then I think his description of his GF being “fit” means she could well be much fitter/capable than the regular stw rider

Ha, she’ll be stoked to hear that!

She does a lot of road riding so has the fitness and rides Queenstown/Rotorua/Wellington trails a lot but I can’t say she’s ever seen a properly rocky trail before! It’s all rain foresty, bermed bike parks and steep rooty tech here 🙂

jmatlock
    Free Member

I must be the only one who thinks the Borrowdale Bash is a pretty poor ride. It just didn’t do it for me. The descents were fun and I was on 110mm full sus, do needed to pick my lines.

It just seemed like little reward for what was a bit of a boring slog.

Must be better local cheeky stuff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Better to just do the two descents rather than the full route IME

you can then cut back from Manesty to car and ignore the Lake bit which is just a trek.

Good route but yes there is better

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Keswick, round the back o’ Skiddaw and back via Skiddaw House is a good ‘un.

Esme
    Free Member

If you are not familiar with Lake District trails, the loose slate, etc can be a bit intimidating. So I think it’s wiser to do a series of short loops, rather than committing to a big ride which takes you a long way from your base.

Elterwater would be ideal, as it gives you Loughrigg Terrace, Hodge Close and even the “natural trails” around Grizedale. That will give the opportunity to “mix and match” depending on the weather, level of enjoyment, and so forth.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lakes must do ride for an intermediate rider’ is closed to new replies.