Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Lakes Must Do
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Heading up to the lakes for a few days, south lakes below Grizedale Forest. I know these threads have been done many many times!

Was wanting to be quite ambitious and fit in some walking (Scarfell, Helvellyn Striding Edge) some Topper sailing (not sure where’s best), some biking (Skiddaw Ulllock Pike descent) and goes without saying some ale based refreshment. Gathered from other threads on here Garburn, Nan Bield is another popular ride.

What would you class as must do given a short stay?

augustuswindsock

Borrowdale bash?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve heard of it, one to add to the list 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where abouts with regards to the forest are you staying?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@davidtaylforth – Well south on the coast 😆 so we are driving in no matter what.

Cheers Trekster “Diary of an inept mountain biker and Real Ale drinker” 😆 like the sound of this already.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well south on the coast

Ulverston? GRange? Either way, it’s a bit of a trek up the North Lakes. There’s plenty of good stuff round grizedale. If you’re walking a peak; Skiddaw is not worth it. Do fairfield horseshoe or helvellyn or something.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is worth it and rather do that than any route off Hellvellyn

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How you get to angle tarn is irrelevant, shoulder the bike up and over to Sprinkling tarn and then ride the fun fest all the way down to stockley bridge.

Simply sublime.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I got the impression Skiddaw was better ridden than walked, more to the point the descent especially if your into biking!

@Nobeerinthefridge – Hmmmm riding Scarfell, now I’ve heard little mention of that! so assumed might be a better walk. I understand if you include Sprinkling Tarn, being the walk Julia Bradbury did on I think it was Countryfile (on PoopTube) it’s quite a lengthy romp out, anyway I take it you mean shooting off at Sprinkling rather than heading up to the summit.

martinhutch

The last part of it (sty head to stockley bridge) is part of the four passes route in this month’s issue.

I don’t think I’d want to try to take a bike further towards Scafell Pike than Sprinkling Tarn.

postierich
    Free Member

Eagle and Child Staveley
    Watermill Ings
    Hawkshead Brewery Staveley
    Tower Bank Arms Far Sawey
    Brittania In Elterwater

Thats the drinking sorted have not a clue on the trails !

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Hellvelyn Sticks pass is a must do, Scafell is a waste of time, but the descent from Esk hause to Styhead pass into Seathwaite is superb.

Postieriches pub crawl^^^^^^^^^^ would be Epic too 😉

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ postierich – arrr right thats it then a pub crawl it is then 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Dont forget the four passes route featured in this months Singletrack mag, for a big day out.

postierich
    Free Member

Route for the above Pub crawl is here forgot about Dungeon Gyll 🙂
    https://www.strava.com/activities/396575265

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ postierich – whoa that looks proper, a bit much me tinks this time out.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Grizedale and Parkamoor has to be done.
    Inept video of 18 of us trying to ride it for a stag do*:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuT96tzKizM[/video]

*Note: not all present were particularly experienced cyclists. As may be apparent. And even fewer were totally sober.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The descent of Ullock Pike is a cracker.

If that’s the sort of riding you are after then the Borrowdale Bash is a bit boring and unrewarding, but good if you get caught on a rainy day. The Garburn Pass low level ride is also good for a rainy day. I would look at the descents off Helvellyn with my preference being Dollywagon and Grisedale the best, then Birk Side and then Sticks Pass if you’re after something less technical.

Other goodies include Wharnscale and various amounts of cheek. Nan Beild out and back is excellent if you like mega tech, if not the gentler southern descent can be worked into a number of loops, via Garburn Pass, High Street and Ill Bell being my favourite. So long as you avoid the very dull Gatescarth you won’t go.wrong round there.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Nah, Ullock Pike is rubbish. Who’d want to ride down this?

😉

to be fair, North Lakes is a fair old drive from the south and there’s plenty of good stuff you’d be passing.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    How you get to angle tarn is irrelevant, shoulder the bike up and over to Sprinkling tarn and then ride the fun fest all the way down to stockley bridge.

Simply sublime.

That’s the cheeky alternative to the standard 4 passes route. It goes down Grains Gill, which is a whole load more technical than Styhead Gill.
    Both are fantastic. Styhead flows better once you get past the boulderfield. Grains doesn’t flow the same but is a good technical challenge. I’ll take my hat off to anyone who clears Grains without a dab.

[Edit] If you want to extend 4 passes, start at Langdale and go up Rossett Gill, down Grains Gill, 4 Passes (well the three remaining passes) to Styhead, back down Rossett Gill to Langdale. That’s a BIG day out. [/Edit]

wool

Ullock Pike is a footpath btw

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ecky, my post wasn’t clear, sorry – I was talking about Styhead, not Grains.

The boulder field is a bit of a pain, but it justs makes the fun last longer, and builds anticipation!. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ullock Pike is a footpath brilliant, but just be courteous and gracious to any walkers you may meet, I find a rather over hearty greeting unsettles any potential whiny walker btw.

FTFY matey.

lowey

It depends where you are staying exactly, how far you are prepared to travel and what length of day you have in mind. Personally If I was staying near Grizedale, I’d spend the day in there and also Claife. Otherwise, Tour of Coniston is good also.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Doing the Skiddaw Ullock Pike descent tomorrow.

On the map the path to Ullock is called Longside Edge that be it I take it?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thats the one.
    The path from the top to the saddle at Carl Side is the scariest bit IMO. Steep, off-camber scree slope. There’s a good line through, but its not one to lose….

scandal42
    Free Member

Ahhh bollcoks, I wondered what that ridgeline was when looking up from our cottage in Bassenthwaite in awe.

Is it possible to ride down Ullock pike and back to the village?

ahsat

Postierich – that is truly epic! Well done Sir!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is it possible to ride down Ullock pike and back to the village?

Bottom section of the path is a bridleway to Bassenthwaite

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Wow now that was some descent, tougher than expected, jezuz some bits were definitely hike not bike, really good fun though.

@ ir_bandito – Yeah the scree slope was a bit rum when completely cloud covered, very steep at the top, pictures & videos don’t do the scale of it justice!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Must Do’ is closed to new replies.