Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Lakes edit on this week's Mini Movies
  • wl
    Free Member

Where is it? Looks familiar but can’t quite put my finger on it. Think the tarn might be Sprinkling? Ta.

justinbieber

Yup, Sprinkling Tarn. Trail looks like bits of Esk Hause to Styhead, and also a bit of Scarth Gap pass in there too (I think).

mintimperial

Definitely that area, you can see Sty Head Tarn and Great Gable in the background as well.

wl
    Free Member

A mix of trails would explain it. Well spotted if there is some Scarth in there – I missed that. Nicely shot film – does the Lakes justice.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Definitely looks like the trail from Esk Hause past Sprinkling Tarn to Sty Head, then the path under the Great Gable down to Wasdale.
    Whichever way you go it’s a good push to get up there.
    Don’t recognise any Scarth Gap in there (but could be wrong)..
    I think the previous vid they did was High Crag-Scarth Gap..

justinbieber

Ahh, that must be where I was getting it from. It’s all good around there anyway – you really can’t go wrong with any of those trails

hegdehog
    Free Member

I think the Sty Head descent down to Stockley Bridge is better than the one to Wasdale. It’s just all the red socks that can be on there interupt the ‘flow’ 😀

The last couple of vids they’ve done have been really good, although a tad short. Would be handy if they actually added where it was filmed in the end credits!

wl
    Free Member

From an entirely selfish point of view, probably a good thing they don’t name the trails. That one under Great Gable is good then is it? Only ever pushed up the trail that goes up the left-hand side of the valley as you leave Wasdale behind you – the one that levels out, passes Sty Head then descents down towards Seathwaite.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Fair point about not naming the trails, maybe keeping people guessing gets them talking & adds to the interest of the vid 😉
    The one in the vid under Great Gable sounds like the same one you’ve pushed up?
    I think there’s at least 2-3 different routes up from Wasdale to Sty Head.
    The Sty Head- Seathwaite is the Stockley Bridge one..

jwt
    Free Member

I’ll ask him for locations.

wl
    Free Member

jwt – nice one, cheers.
    hedgehog – Stockley descent is a favourite of mine. One of many belters around there. At some point I need to ride the one that goes from above Sprinkling Tarn down to Stockley (the start of which is shown in the vid – where that gorge is). Carried up it thinking it looked like a good DH – a bit exposed in a couple places.

justinbieber

WL – that is one of the best descents in the Lakes. The hike up to Esk Hause is a bit of a slog (I tend to head up Langstrath Beck to Angle Tarn), but it’s so so good from there on.

jwt
    Free Member

From Ben –

the trail in this video is the bridleway from Esk Hause all the way down to Wasdale Head via Styhead Tarn, hope that clears things up for everyone!

wl
    Free Member

justin and jwt – nice one and thanks. Esk to Stockley now even higher up my list.

hegdehog
    Free Member

wl- agree the Sty Head to Stockley is a great descent. Not tried the Sprinkling to Stockley path, but think i know where it branches off the main path on the right after you cross the gorge. Does it follow Ruddy Gill?
    If justin reckons it’s worth a visit i’ll add it to next years bucket list, thanks.
    That whole area is certainly not the easiest, but is an amazing place to ride..

ads678

Locals – Just looking at the OS maps for the area. looking at a route from Wasdale head and back going up to sty head and down to stockley bridge and seathwaite, then on to seatoller and stonethwaite then picking up the cumbria way bridleway towards langdale then cutting off to rosset pike, esk hause and back down to Wasdale head.

Has anyone done anything similar and would it be any good? And how long is it compared to the borrowdale bash frinstance??

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

hedgehog,
    Yes, the descent from Sprinkling Tarn to Stockley Bridge is Ruddy Gill > Grains Gill. It’s a good descent “The Gill!” on Strava.

wl
    Free Member

Think I’ve done most of that, tho I’m a bit vague on names. Rossett Ghyll is very techy, tho it might have been ‘upgraded’ (ruined) since I was there. I know Stake Pass is a great descent down to Langdale, but a crap descent down to the Langstrath side (easy enough carry/push up tho). Greenup Edge (via Lining Crag) is a mint descent towards Stonethwaite. Would be a longish drag up it I reckon.

wl
    Free Member

Ecky – is it ‘cheeky’? And is it all ridable? Just about looked it walking up, but I’ve never tried.

dunmail
    Free Member

is it ‘cheeky’?

Look on a map (streetmap.co.uk if you don’t have paper ones) – it’s all bridleways so legal.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ads678
    I’ve done the bits you describe on different rides, not all as one though.
    I’ve done up Rossett > Styhead > Stockley > Seathwaite > Stonethwaite > down Stake , from ODG in Langdale.
    The Styhead and Stake descents are OK. The rest is a just hard work.
    Rossett is far better as a descent but the rest of that loop would probably be a waste of altitude if reversed.
    You’re basically doing that route but adding the climb from Wasdale first and retracing it at the end. It’s a long carry up and would be a bit boring as a descent I think (that’s the only bit I’ve not tried as a descent).

The classic 4 passes / tour of Gable route would be a better option if you want to ride from Wasdale Head.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Sounds good Ecky, thanks!
    dunmail- it’s definitely not a BW on my map..

ads678- That would be a big day out. I’ve done similar routes in that area & yours would be an all day summer ride. Be prepared for lots of pushing! I don’t know your fitness level but i’d say wear some comfy footware & allow for around min 6-8hrs..

Edit- What Ecky said!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

wl,
    Ruddy Gill > Grains Gill is cheeky, yes.
    99% ridable. I only walked about a 6 feet section that was an off-camber scramble on the edge of a drop into the Gill (getting old and becoming concious of my own mortality). A better rider might chance it but not for me!

dunmail
    Free Member

Follow it from here – http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=318960&Y=507405&A=Y&Z=120 , long dashed lines all the way so a BW. (Unless you cut behind Rossett Pike to avoid the descent to Langdale – that’s a FP)

People are mentioning Ruddy Gill to Stockley – that’s a cheeky FP but not what was asked about.

hegdehog
    Free Member

I thought wl was asking about Ruddy > Gains Gill being cheeky?
    Your map is in Wasdale, miles away from Rosset Pike..
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=318960&Y=507405&A=Y&Z=120
    Afraid you’ve lost me…

wl
    Free Member

Might be me confusing things. I meant the descent that goes down to Stockley from up above Sprinkling Tarn, not the way down to Sty Head and beyond to Stockley. Pretty sure Ecky has it right. I always thought it was cheeky. It defo has a section or two where a fall to the left would land you in the gorge and possibly kill you.

dunmail
    Free Member

A bit of confusion here as there’s two threads going on within one 🙂 Doesn’t help that you can’t see who’s replying to which post.

From ads678: looking at a route from Wasdale head and back going up to sty head and down to stockley bridge and seathwaite, then on to seatoller and stonethwaite then picking up the cumbria way bridleway towards langdale then cutting off to rosset pike, esk hause and back down to Wasdale head.

That’s completely on bridleways and is what edgehog and I have been talking about.

The descent from beneath Great End via Ruddy Gill and Grains Gill is what Ecky-Thump and wl have been talking about.

The location of the map link was the start of ads678’s route, so follow his description and you’ll see what I mean.

I think that clears things up 😳

ads678

I was just thinking that descent on the video was good so triedto incorperate into a circular route of sorts and thought as it finishes in wasdale a start and finished there would be good.

Fitness wise I’m OK, no marathon runner though. And I’ve done helvelyn and borrowdale bash, BB I found easy enough technically. Cracking fun though.

hegdehog
    Free Member

Makes more sense now! 🙂

boxelder

That’s completely on bridleways and is what edgehog and I have been talking about

Depends where the

cutting off to rosset pike, esk hause

happens. Taking the footpath from the top of Stake Pass, though abit on/off and footpath, saves time over following BWs down into Langdale and back up again.
    Even with this ‘shortcut’ you’ll need 6 hours, so 2-3 times the length of a B’dale bash.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Lakes edit on this week's Mini Movies’ is closed to new replies.