Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • lakes – crosthwaite / underbarrow / crook / winster area routes
  • meeeee
    Free Member

anyone got any shortish routes around this area, seems to be quite a few little bits of bridleway. I’m in Windermere so right on my doorstep but over the years i’ve ignored all these in favour of riding ound Grizedale / Ambleside / coniston

I could go and explore them all myself but pushed enough for time to get out anyway so would be handy to know which ones are ok and which to avoid and best ways of linking them up. And are they generally muddy / rocky?

cheers

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s two in the Vertebrate guidebook, I’ve done one, my wife has done both. The one I’ve done is essentially a loop of Whitbarrow: Gilpin Bridge – BW to Millside – BW & lane Witherslack Hall – BW to Halecat – tarmac lanes to north end of Whitbarrow and BW over to Lyth valley then tarmac lanes back to GB. We did that route one new year’s eve and it wasn’t boggy as the tracks are on limestone so they drain well.

The other one is Staveley then roads to Cartmel Fell and then various farm tracks above CF and in and around Simpson Ground. This one is a lot of road to link up all available tracks/BWs. Again reasonably weather proof.

I grew up very local to all these. A hardtail would almost be over-biked on many of them, if it was dry then a CX bike would be enough.

meeeee
    Free Member

Thanks will give the whitbarrow one a try.

I lived in Staveley in Cartmel for a few years so know the Simpson ground stuff. Did you live somewhere near Whitestone , just guessing at your forum name!

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes, began rock climbing on that crag hence the name.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘lakes – crosthwaite / underbarrow / crook / winster area routes’ is closed to new replies.