Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lakes campsite recomendations (Coniston/Windermere way)?
  • IHN

For an upcoming biking trip.

My mate seems to be having trouble finding one, all the one’s he’s spoken to have had an issue with it being a single-sex group (there’s only six of us, and we’re all the far side of 35…) and/or won’t have a campervan (mine) next to the tents (the rest of the group).

Any recommendations? Near to a pub is obviously important too 🙂

wors

Coniston old hall

petrieboy

Haven holidays lakeland site had some all male groups when we were last there. Campers and tents are in the same field so possibly they’d let you in with the tents. They do a very good cooked breakfast so could be ideal for your purposes

marcus
    Free Member

Has he tried Gillside Farm Glenridding ?

IHN

Cheers chaps.

Any more?

IHN

Just looked at Gillside, you can’t book for camping and it says no groups…

Are you taking the gypsymobile, or tenting?

binners

Coniston Old Hall is ideal for your needs! There will be a number of similar groups to yourself, guaranteed. Quiet it isn’t. Its a quick stroll down by the lake to quite a few decent pubs. What more do you want?

I can’t stress this enough though: TAKE ROCK PEGS FOR YOUR TENT!!!! If you don’t own some, then get some before you set off!

marcus
    Free Member

Ah – Maybe just turn up as 3 pay pairs.

Tent

lowey

Coniston Old Hall is all you ever need. Its just ace for a group. Rowdy, lively, great location and the owners never turn anyone away.

IHN

I can’t stress this enough though: TAKE ROCK PEGS FOR YOUR TENT!!!!

As I said, I’m in a campervan, I’ll let the peasantslads in the tents worry about that 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

National Trust site at Great Langdale.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Coniston Old Hall is all you ever need. Its just ace for a group. Rowdy, lively, great location and but the owners never turn anyone away manage to look cheerful.

But yes, it’s ideal for your needs. Loads of great riding right outside your awning.

hora
    Free Member

On the flipside, any good campsites near stuff to do that are quiet for families? 🙂

Hawkshead is ALWAYS full but its also too close to the road (naughty 3yr old).

captaintomo
    Free Member

The Quiet Bar

Nice campsite with an awesome barn pub on site.

lowey

Hora…

Fisherground in Eskdale is great for kids.

iain65
    Free Member

This place in the next valley over from Coniston and is probably one of the most scenic in the UK, a bit off the tourist trail though. It’s also right at the bottom of the Walna Scar road which is ideal to start or end your ride 🙂

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/england/lake-district/cumbria/252-turner-hall-farm

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fisherground in Eskdale is great for kids.

Aye this it is fantastic for the young uns but there is not much to do in the local area beyond scenery and Muncaster castle

I would go to Coniston and expect it to be noisy.

wors

Hora, i’ve just booked at Waterside house in Pooley bridge, canoes, raft building, allsorts for kids. And Sticks pass, for the big kid 😆

hora
    Free Member

Ooooo don’t forget the Ullswater singletrack.

oomidamon

Rowdy, lively, great location and the owners never turn anyone away.

Including groups of thieving chavscum – make sure EVERYTHING is locked up, including bits with QRs. Its no fun to find your seatpost and saddle missing in the morning.

robhenry85
    Free Member

+1 for Coniston Hall, as said ground is a bit rocky and take a few 50p for the showers.

i did put the bikes in the car over night tho

paulo123
    Free Member

I would recommend Hoathwaite in Torver. Bit more of a walk into Coniston, but there are a couple of pubs in Torver. A lot less crowded than Coniston Hall which can get manic in summer, cheaper as well. As a single sex group of 4 coniston hall wanted to take £10 each deposit for potential noise. The warden at Hoathwaite couldn’t have been nicer, even gave us some canoe’s to mess about in on the lake.

bongle

Abbot Park Farm. Between southern ends of lakes coniston and Windermere. Traditional farm owned by lovely people who will open their teas hol barn for brekkies and home made cakes as required. Haven’t tried the pub nearby but the location is tranquil, limited to 12 tents max.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Notwithstanding @hora’s comment I was going to suggest Hawkshead, I imagine it’s usually full as its a short stroll to the pubs and restaurants of the village and just down the road from Grizdale trails (and between Coniston and Winderemere). When we were staying in a small hotel in the village the campsite was busy with lots of mountain bikers.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lakes campsite recomendations (Coniston/Windermere way)?’ is closed to new replies.