Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lakes bike bus- what point to point routes could I use it for?
  • TomB

Hi all

I’ve got a hankering to use the new no.800 bike bus, and wondered if anyone could suggest some good A to B routes using it.

The ‘bike & ride’ service will see specially converted buses, that are able to carry up to 12 bikes and riders, travel through the heart of the Lakes along the A591 from Windermere Railway Station to the Whinlatter Forest visitor Centre. The buses will stop at Ambleside, Rydal, Grasmere, Thirlspot, Keswick and Braithwaite on the way.”

I live in keswick, so either starting or finishing here, with the outward or return on the bus, would be great. I guess something from Grasmere or Ambleside through the middle of the lakes, finishing at Seathwaite (or vice versa), for example?

Hope this makes sense- thanks!

matt_outandabout

We saw this yesterday at Whinlatter – ace idea of a bus. Opens up a world of options for point-to-point routes.

We have a new one in Scotland as well all round Breadalbane – http://www.facebook.com/breadalbaneexplorer

boxelder

Get off at grasmere and ride loughrigg to ambleside, then head up over to troutbeck, over garburn to kentmere, on over to longsleddale and down to oxenholme station, or back over to Windermere.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It will be featured in What Mountain Bike in the near future. It’s a great idea and the bus is a nice bit of kit! The obvious ride is to ride up Langdale, over Rossett Gill, past Sprinkling and Styhead Tarns and down Stockley Bridge into Borrowdale, Honister, Grange etc.

Alternatively you’ve got Stakes Pass, Easedale and Lining Crag that would fit in well too.

Thirlmere and over the tops to Keswick is generally too boggy to be worth it I believe.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

The only snag is the start times, i wanted to do Ambleside to Keswick on the route you mention Paul, however the bus won’t get you from keswick to Ambleside until lunch time & winter weather being what it is in the lakes it’s shame.

I did the Garburn – Gatesgarth – Nan beild route for the second time recently and what a superb all day ride it is can’t wait to further expand on it next year.

Cheers

Mark

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The route is actually in WMB this month, I’m now officially famous!

I’ve not looked at the bus timetable, but it might be worth you making that point to the operator as they might be able to put on a mega-early bus in the winter in the future. in the summer you’ll be fine with a mid-day start though.

Alternatively you might be able to do a ride and then get a return bus back up later int he day rather than a point to point.

postierich
    Free Member

I think the bus starts in Kendal so you could get off @ Staveley and ride back to Keswick!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lakes bike bus- what point to point routes could I use it for?’ is closed to new replies.