• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by anc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lakes Advice Please – Routes from Crummock/Butternmere to Ennerdale. ?
  • jekkyl

Hi all. I’m planning a big day out and was looking to do part of the bash but then instead of turning back to keswick at Seatoller, head up the hill towards buttermere and then over Ennerdale for a ride around the forest and then pick up ncn71 round to the back of whinlatter.
    There is a bridleway twixt crummock and ennerdale –
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=312477&y=517305&z=120&sv=312477,517305&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=636&ax=312477&ay=517305&lm=0
    Does anyone have any experience of it, will it be a right slog from that side or it is boggy or what’s it like generally. The alt routes I could take would be a bridleway up from buttermere (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=316454&y=515530&z=120&sv=316454,515530&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=636&ax=316454&ay=515530&lm=0) past bleaberry tarn cheeky down to Ennerdale forest. Or this is the most sketchy route would be a mix of bridle and cheeky from the summit of honister pass near the mine, the route doesn’t look clear from there.

We’d prefer no hike a bike at all and we’re not fraid of hills. Any thoughts on any of the above?
    many thanks.

Just to wet your appetite about the area, look at this stunning piece of landscape, this is the ennerdale valley.

dunmail
    Free Member

The farmer on the Ennerdale side of the Floutern Tarn used to be anti *anyone* walker or cyclist heading along that bridleway. Don’t know if he’s still in residence.

You say you don’t want “hike a bike” your second route would be that and only that!

The descent in to Warnscale Bottom is technical but you could do that and head back over Honister. There was a thread on here about a descent via Loft Beck in to the head of Ennerdale.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Of the two definitlely floutern tarn – the other would be pretty much exclusivley hike a bike with some sketchy scrambles thrown in – there’s one section where you’ll have to shoulder on floutern tarn – just before the tarn – but it’s a short sharp one.

I’d consider going over scarth gap and through the forest and maybe back over floutern northwards – there’s not a right lot in the forest itself as far as I know – mostly just fire road, unless I’ve missed it, but it is reet bonny.

A bit of hike a bike is compulsory in these parts and is character building to boot!

jekkyl

I know it might be difficult to judge but on the floutern route, is the up and then down equal both ways, what I wouldn’t be keen on is a long hike up for 2 minutes of down and whats the path like? made up? muddy track/ etc

We’ll be taking the road out of Ennerdale valley to the c2c route ncn 71, we won’t be going back over.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

fom north its singletrack up to floutern and cart track (pretty good cart track) down – c.70m less descending than climbing – S-N definitley better but as you say not in your plan. I’d do Scarth Gap or the cheeky from Honister (not done this myself but was a thread a couple of weeks ago) that way you’re at the head of the valley to start.It’s long slog back on the road that you could cut out doing an over and back.

TomB

Scarth gap is hike a bike, but the best way to cross between the two valleys. you can then descend towards black sail and down the forest path to ennerdale.

senorj

The farmer on the Ennerdale side of the Floutern Tarn used to be anti *anyone* walker or cyclist heading along that bridleway

I remember him .I seem to recall there being a firearm prosecution….

Op. the descent to Ennerdale from Floutern tarn is great fun. It’s also a challenging climb. The bog followed by the hikeabike is on the Crummock side going up to the tarn. I get to the bog from Loweswater, there’s a farm road/dead end that takes you into the valley alongside Mosedale beck. I love that valley.You will get wet feet.

jekkyl

thanks guys, I think I’ve got a better idea of a do’able route now.
    Is this the descent from floutern to crummock/buttermere? or is this from the other side of the valley?
    [video]http://youtu.be/QAGK2NAbLHE[/video]

anc
    Free Member

The Farmer is Thomas Ireland from Ennerdale if coming from floutern, had a fun with him in the past, he’s kinda chilled over the years so you’ll be fine going over there. The strava segments called ‘Irelands Gauntlet’ which makes me chuckle 🙂
    Your vid is the Sail beck path which goes rigg beck> sail beck. so its keswick side towards buttermere.

jekkyl

Cheers ANC, once you consider going cheeky a whole norther realm of routes become available.

anc
    Free Member

‘Ridelways’ locally :mrgreen:
    If you wanna link ennerdale into the bash consider the climb out of the slate mine then the path(moses trod) into Blacksail below Grey knotts. then either back out over Scarth or floutern. You’ll have less hikabike that way 😉
    Only thing to consider is if the cloud is low greyknotts moses trod area can be a nav nightmare.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lakes Advice Please – Routes from Crummock/Butternmere to Ennerdale. ?’ is closed to new replies.