Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lakes advice please. path from Wantendlath to Thirlmere?
  • ton

is the path from wantendlath to thirlmere worth doing.
    and if so, which direction.

wl
    Free Member

Done this but a very long time ago – around 17+ years – which suggests it can’t be that great or I’d have been back on one of my many Lakes trips since. Seem to remember it being ok for scenery but not that great in terms of riding (bearing in mind we were on fully rigid bikes, so perhaps it’s different on modern bikes). I think it can get quite boggy if it’s been wet. Done it both ways.

Garry_Lager

Done the BW from Thirlmere to Watendlath via Blea Tarn a few times. You wouldn’t do it for fun, but it’s a useful link up that is largely rideable and prob better than alternatives (use it from Grasmere to do the Bash).

Coming from Thirlmere you’ve got steep forest road from Hause Point, then a push at the top to the tarn once out of the trees, and more pushing through Long Moss which is often v wet and the path indistinct. You can get going, though, after this and have nice riding to Watendlath (Steep descent on the steps!).
    Not done it the other way, but suspect it might be hard going up to the tarn from the top of the steps unless it was really dry.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Beautiful but very boggy in places. Also quite poorly defined on the ground.

It requires a bit of navigational skill especially in poor visibility

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I seem to remember Wainwright writing that there are very few hills in the Lakes not worth climbing. High Tove & Armboth Fell from Thirlmere was one of those hills. A horrible boggy mess most of the year apparently.

justinbieber

I did it a few years ago, and haven’t been back. It’s pretty featureless and boggy for the most part, while the descent to Thirlmere is good for a bit, but then it gets unrideable. Unless you’re on a point to point, I wouldn’t bother, as the main way back is via the road or dull bridleways/fps.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Better from thirlmere – might want to cheeky up the fire road from hause beck rather than carry up the bridleway, still pertty steep though

thekettle
    Free Member

in a word, no.

bella
    Free Member

Bog bog bog bog and a big puddle!

stoney
    Free Member

What they all said!!!! 😛

boxelder

What are you aiming to do? It’s OK at first from Watendlath – steep and pushing, but good surface. Very boggy on top. Dropping into Thirlmere, get into the forest – don’t use the unrideable BW.

stoney
    Free Member

What they all said!!!! 😛

We did it from Harrop Tarn on a boiling hot day,it had been a nice dry spell and so it was quite easy. Still a few wet/boggy bits though. Very boring part of the ride……

Apparently it is usually one of the wettest walks in the Lakes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lakes advice please. path from Wantendlath to Thirlmere?’ is closed to new replies.