• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by anc.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lakes!
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a few days with friends (non-bikers) in the Lakes coming up, and fancy slipping away for a few quick rides as well. We're staying in Glenriddings, and I have a few ideas for routes up and down Helvellyn, depending on how technically gifted I feel.

I was also looking at other routes nearby and heard good things about the Ullswater singletrack. Looking at the OS map though, I can see 2 bridleways on the Eastern side of Ullswater, here

So, which is the good one?

Suggestions for other routes are also welcome, but as I'll be riding on my own, I don't want to be going on anything too long. I still need to be able to go find the others in whichever pub they're hidden themselves.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Here are photos from the Ullswater loop – not going all the way around, but starting in the north, and then going down the eastern side. That's where there is some cracking singletrack, much not photgraphed. Then there is a bit of a hike up a path, and down into a valley for the descent, after having taken in some excellent views.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157622340012992/

elliptic
    Free Member

Normal way is the lower one (you'll follow it naturally on the ground).

The upper one is very steep loose & rocky where it drops down behind Silver Point – basically a scree slope.

Along the shore path and then back over Boredale Hause would be a decent short ride option. Choice of descents from the Hause to Patterdale or Hartsop, both are steepish but rideable & fun.

docrobster
    Free Member

I rode the lower of those 2 bridleways on bank holiday sunday (the one nearer the lake shore). Really interesting: rocky, technical in places fast in others. Spoilt by millions of walkers, oaps, dogs, kids etc. Hopefully be better on a less busy weekend but still could be an issue. The higher path may be quieter. I wouldn't call it singletrack, its fairly wide.
    I rode from south to north a couple of guys going the other way said we were doing it the wrong way but who knows. We did a loop starting at dale head, about a mile on road then another mile up a singletrack climb to the col, then dropped into boredale hause, from boredale hause along the bridleway above to sandwick, then a bit of road back to the car.
    I liked it, my wife didn't!

elliptic
    Free Member

It's always busy on a nice day, you just have to be patient and say hello politely a lot. I don't find it too much of an issue as it's stop/start riding anyway – there are several sections which simply aren't rideable unless you're a trials god.

Oh, and try to resist the temptation to show off on the techy bits and then bin it embarrasingly in front of an audience 😳

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Come on the tour of Skiddaw we're running on Saturday. Meet at bottom of Latrigg at 11am http://www.bogtrotters.org/rideslist.php

Roughly 17 miles in around 4 hours

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh, and try to resist the temptation to show off on the techy bits and then bin it embarrasingly in front of an audience

Were you watching me? 😳

16stonepig
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer SFB, but this weekend is Exmoor 😀
    I don't get oop North until next Tuesday.

I was thinking of a loop from Patterdale, up to Boredale Hause, down to Bannerdale and then find my way back to the east side of Ullswater.
    Maybe stick in the climb to Boredale again and drop down to Bridgend then road back, depending how time is getting on.

anc
    Free Member

Going over Boredale is easiler up from Bridgend its 70-80% rideable going up, from the lakeshore end it is mostly a carry. But on the flipside that way down is a far better descent than dropping into bridgend which isn't very technical at all.

P.s the loop you're planning is good 😉 but also you can do High street and the lakeshore in 3-4hrs depending on fitness

16stonepig
    Free Member

anc – Thanks. I will take that into consideration.

I did look at High St, but didn't fancy it on my own. It's much further for my friends to come find me after the inevitable tumble onto my head.

anc
    Free Member

Its a dead easy nav if clear, if the clouds down it can be a difficult nav as its a bit featureless on the top. Not a huge amount of technical stuff to cause any crashes just a big jumpy fast descent to the cockpit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lakes!’ is closed to new replies.