Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lakeland Route Advice
  • thwapy
    Free Member

Hi. I am just trying to plan a good 'Stag Do' day out in July. Looking at:

Honister Hause, down by Fleetwith Pike, up over Scarth Gap, down to Black Sail Hut, up over and down Black Sail Pass to Wasdale, then up the valley, over to Sty Head then down Styhead Gill to Seatoller.

Anyone done this route or parts of it? Any advice would be great. Thanks Jay

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

50% walking. One of our lot decided not to bother taking a bike and had no trouble keeping up :o) The first time the club did it, everyone on the ride was injured 🙁

Visually spectacular though 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

Its one I keep meaning to do. supposed to be very good. Rosset Gill can be added if you like to really tech it up 😯

PTR
    Free Member

Best to keep referring to it as a "route", it's certainly not a ride! Lots of pushing up and down required.
    But, it's one of the best days out on a bike that I've ever done. just approach it with the right attitude.
    If your stag doer's are not all riders, it may even work out for the best, anyone can push as well as the best rider!

thwapy
    Free Member

They are all bikers but of varying standard, thanks for all the replies. Loved the one from you simon, all the riders were injured…. now that's MY kind of day out ! Not sure the future wife would agree but he I'll have a month for the bones/cuts to heal eh !

Just from looking at it on the map I can see there will be lots of pushing, so really the big question is, is it worth it? If the downs are worth the pushes/carries then game on! Any real bits to watch out for?

Thanks

anc
    Free Member

Great day out and you can ride a lot more than 50% if the fitness is good. Honister climbs doable and you can ride a fair bit of scarth gap, blacksail and Styhead. The descents are tricky and proper lakes techical rockfests but all rideable, not really for the inexperienced rider as they'll end up pushing up and then pushing down a fair bit.

neninja
    Free Member

We're heading up there for a stag do in early July too

Staying at Black Sail YH but have already decided to get there via Ennerdale instead of Scarth Gap

There's a decent ride planned for the Saturday but I'm not sure of where yet.

thwapy
    Free Member

Small world neninja ! We are probably going to do this on Sat 10th July…. Might see you out and about !

neninja
    Free Member

We're at Black Sail on Friday 2nd July so sadly our paths won't cross.

Doing Whinlater on the way across on the Friday afternoon and then spending the rest of the weekend doing natural trails around the Lakes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lakeland Route Advice’ is closed to new replies.