• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lake MXZ303
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Need a new pair of winter boots as my shimano ones are falling to bits. Mainly used for commuting so I don’t want walking boot style ones.

Shortlist is Lake MXZ303, shimano MW7, northwave Celsius Arctic or 45NRTH Wolverhammer, although they might be a bit ott.

Halfords sell the lakes so I can get them with multiple 10% discount to bring them down to a similar price to the others, apart from the Wolverhammer.

Anyone using the lakes?

z1ppy

Got some lakes last year, & wish I’d done it much sooner. Compared to my MW81’s they keep water out for longer & substantially warmers, especially on cold weather rides where the boot is constantly being splashed or toe submerged. Not suggesting MW81 are rubbish just the MXZ’s are ‘the next step up’.
    Very stiff boot though, I find my foot moves inside the boot to make up for the lack of flexibility, so not the best hike a bike boot.
    What is it you want from them for commuting? Waterproofness/insulation?
    Have to say the new Bontrager winter boot looks like it should also be on your shortlist

Junkyard
    Free Member

had my lakes for about 10 years and just about ok for another winter I do rate them and will get another but agree the bonty looks good.

tomkerton
    Free Member

The north waves are good at the job and hardy.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have two pairs of Lakes, 303s and 146s.
    The 303s are very warm;with a pair of woolly boolys they’re good for at least -10C.
    The 146s are also wateerproof but not so warm. I wear them in spring and autumn.

Both have fully sealed cleat holes. I’m not sure whether some other makes do, or bizarrely, not.

Availability in a proper wide fitting is a bonus.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What is it you want from them for commuting

I commute 20 miles each way and in winter it’s generally cold and wet so I want something warm and that’ll keep the rain out for a bit longer than shimanos. The lakes look up to the job.

vorlich
    Free Member

First ride out in mine today. Fairly mild out, but lots of standing water and blustery. Feets dry/toasty warm with just silk liner socks. Can’t comment of any sustained hike a bike in them, but the sole has a really good tread for mud and pushing up/down slithery slopes.

Hosed them off and wiped clean once home. I’ve just Sno Sealed them and water is now beading up even better than out of the box.

Picked them over the Bonty OMW as the sole looks better and lots of positive reviews online. Bontys look to me like they’re designed for dry cold. Removable inner is a nice feature though.

gavstorie
    Free Member

I’ve been using Lake 303’s for a couple of years… they are the dog bollocks..

The only thing about them is that you can get water into them from the cuff at the top.. I’ve recently started using a paid of £6 gaitors(from ebay) and thats cured the problem….

rone

Hosed them off and wiped clean once home. I’ve just Sno Sealed them and water is now beading up even better than out of the box.

That’s interesting, I was wondering whether to proof mine but it doesn’t mention it on the website.

Is this sno product a wax?

vorlich
    Free Member

Yup, beeswax

Suggsey
    Free Member

Best boots by far although the puttards leather is waterproof the stitched seams are not so you must apply some beeswax or similar waterproofer to them or water can seep in………but your feet will stay superwarm thanks to the NASA technology linings inside.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like? Any need to size up?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sizing is spot on and if you have wide feet just ordered the standard size but in wide option…..my size 12s in wide are the best fit of any riding shoes/boots yet.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Found them on bike-discount.de which is only a couple of quid more than the halfords price, buying from halfords would mean waiting for a discount code to be available and buying vouchers then waiting for the vouchers to be delivered.

Don’t think I’ll find them cheaper anywhere else.

D0NK

I’ve used shimano northwave and lakes, not the wolvhammers tho, silly prices!
    Shimano and northwave are both pretty similar, get the one that fits your foot best. As someone further up said lakes are a step up, warmer, more waterproof, comfy, a really nice winter boot, however….
    They take an age to dry once you’ve soaked them, they are a bit warm for milder conditions, (pretty clumpy too, cause more toe/wheel overlap on my cx) whereas the shimanos and lakes can be used on warm/wet spring and autumn days.
    After years of using shimano winter boots for commuting I’ve switched to standard shoes and overshoes, dry much quicker, warm enough for most days and I rarely have to put my foot down door to door so no muddy overshoes problems. I keep the lakes for weekend riding or when it’s properly cold.

Gary_M
    Free Member

They take an age to dry once you’ve soaked them

I have a boot dryer so that’s not an issue 🙂

I’ve tried overshoes for commuting but they just don’t last, tried loads of different ones and whilst they’re fine on a road ride they wear too quickly commuting.

I’ll buy the lakes now and look at a less warm pair for spring.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve tried overshoes for commuting but they just don’t last, tried loads of different ones and whilst they’re fine on a road ride they wear too quickly commuting.

I find that neoprene overshoes make my feet very clammy – I’m going to switch to mtb boots & SPDs on my road bike this winter.

rone

I’m sure they’re ‘only’ about £150 on bike discount now. That’s £50 cheaper than halfords.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re right but I can buy halfords vouchers with a 10% discount, I have a British Cycling membership so another 10% off plus halfords frequently do 10% off everything flash sales, bringing the £199 price down to £145.

D0NK

I’ve tried overshoes for commuting but they just don’t last,

I got some planet-X neoprene ones for a tenner, figured I could replace them pretty often at that price, lasted over 12months so far – but like I said my offroad commute is regularly dab free door to door, but yeah if you have to walk anywhere overshoes get trashed pretty quick.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lake MXZ303’ is closed to new replies.