Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Lake (Loch?) side holiday homes/cottages in Scotland
  • khani
    Free Member

Any recommended? Pref, pet friendly, good for canoeing (not in the sea) and biking and dog walking?
    Don’t want to use the car while we’re there so lake (loch) side is preferable..
    I know it won’t be cheap but that’s where the mrs wants to go so hey ho…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Has she thought about midges?

scotroutes

http://www.lochtay-vacations.co.uk/

A short cycle to Killin to pick up NCN7. Ben Lawers range just above the lodges.

khani
    Free Member

Has she thought about midges?

No.. But I have.. That’s why I want a house and not a tent..
    Edit.. Cheers Scotroutes ill have a gander

emma
    Free Member
    scotroutes

not in the sea

khani
    Free Member

ur mrs is a/the wise one

I resemble that remark… 😉 she calls me Gert Thickybucket…

khani
    Free Member

Cheers scotroutes loch tey looks perfect 😀 many thanks..

adscatt
    Free Member

http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/

We used these when we stayed at a beautiful cottage in the Highlands in 2011, may be some nice loch side stuff on there.

poly
    Free Member

Loch Tay and Loch Lomond Holiday Parks are where we send tourists who want to go ‘outdoors’ but haven’t yet made it across the threshold of realising that the attraction of being outdoors in Scotland is you can be away from droves of other people. Its one step up from Centre Parks. After that then you are probably on to Loch Google … and finding your own way in the world.

My point here is that Scotland is a big place with a lot of lochs. Depending what you want Loch Tay might be ideal, but its not quite my idea of rural tranquility.

khani
    Free Member

Ideally we’d like a cottage/house somewhere deserted on the shore of a lake miles from anywhere..
    Ideally…

Kunstler

Maybe have a look for a cottage on the shore of Loch Maree. It’s a big loch with multiple islands to explore by canoe, and although I’m not sure what might be rideable from the door (Tollaidh path, probably) some of the best biking anywhere is not far away (20 – 30 mins drive to Torridon).

There’s also Acharacle on Loch Shiel. I’m not sure about how much biking is available there but you have a large loch to explore and beaches and lovely walking in the area.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m just back from the west coast. Have a look at cottages in Glenelg, Arnisdale and Corran. They are very quiet but on a sea loch.

khani
    Free Member

Thanks peeps 😀 google ahoy!

scotroutes

Another idea

Home

Murr
    Free Member

loch tay lodges in the village of acharn is perfect for what you want,great location walking , safe beach to launch your canoe,great cycling 20 minutes walk to kenmore ,short drive for aberfeldy,killin just Loch Tay Lodges.

piemonster

Its one step up from Centre Parks

At least in Centre Parks folk poo in toilets, rather than those that camp round the shores of Loch Tay that seem happy to poo almost anywhere that’s not where they’ve pitched the tent.

piemonster

Friend did the Ben Sheann race at Stathyre last Wednesday, his legs looked like he got Smallpox.

PaddyMcG
    Free Member

We’ve just booked a week in this place. 11 miles from the nearest public road.

http://www.wildernesscottages.co.uk/property.php?id_cot=302

Lets dogs in, and it’s by a loch.

khani
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks in true STW style we’re going to somewhere nobody suggested but your ideas gave me food for thought, , found a cottage with its own beach on the shore of Loch Awe, not too far from fort Bill.. 😀
    Mexsitediam… Gnu’s and bikes, WooHoooo… 😀

mattbee

We spent 2 weeks on Eilean Shona last June, in Red Cottage.
    Small island with no vehicles, shops or anything. About as close to deserted as you’ll get. Our cottage was in the forest on its own but a 2 min walk from the loch side.
    Only neighbours were deer, pine martins and a cheeky blackbird, all of whom wandered around near the cottage.
    The dog loved it, as did we.
    Even the drive to get the boat to the island is pretty cool, a good 5 miles of singletrack road seeming to lead to nowhere.
    One of the 3 other sets of guests had kayaks with them and spent most of their time paddling about, would be handy if you wanted to see the mainland too as there are only boats across 2 times a week.
    We will be going back at some point….

matt_outandabout

shore of Loch Awe, not too far from fort Bill

All things being relative… 😐
    There is great riding all round Argyll, don’t just head to a trail centre (albeit uplift) at Fort William.

khani
    Free Member

I prefer more natural riding myself, though I might ride over there for a looksee.. 😀

properbikeco
    Free Member

loch ken might fit the bill, decent mtb tracks in galloway forest

Greybeard
    Free Member

Just a short way south of Loch Tay, Strathyre Forest Cabins may also be worth looking at. I haven’t stayed in them but the location meets your spec.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Lake (Loch?) side holiday homes/cottages in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.