Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lake Garda
  • richardculf
    Free Member

Has anyone been riding in the Lake Garda area (Monte Baldo, Arco etc).

We’re planning a family holiday there this summer and would like a couple of days out on the bike.

Any info would be appreciated.

Rich

lucien

Yes, plenty of times. Lot of riding to be had and depending on what you are seeking. Most of the larger bike shops (there are a few) will do a gpx download for you, free. There are a couple of uplifts also, again mainly linked to the bikeshops. Only big downside is the large number of tourist fashionistas in matching lycra, bikes etc but who dont seem to be able to ride a bike that well

martinhutch

Riva del Garda was crawling with high-end bikes when we passed through last year. I’m sure you’d be able to find some good riding close to there.

generallevi
    Free Member

generallevi
    Free Member

Hey Rich,

Iv ridden the areas you are talking about mate. I can honestly say also that it is the best, most technical riding I have ever done and that includes Whistler and the French Alps.

The best ride that we did was the Mt Baldo to Torbole run which is nearly 50km of DH Switch Backs, traversing the mountain for nearly 10 miles from the start point at Malcesine. The best thing to do is check the Gondola a few days before as they are a little funny about bikes. They usually only run a couple of chairs a day that bikes are allowed on. Once at the top you need to hang a left off the lift where you will traverse for maybe about 3km and then the track heads uphill for about an hour of climbing to get you to the very top of Mount Baldo. You will know you have arrived as there is a small refuge/ restaurant with prayer flags outside waiting for you.

Now, the riding…..
    I rode a 6 inch Ellsworth Moment with a coil on the back and I felt a little under biked. However this was going back 5 years and it had a 69 degree head angle so wasn’t like a modern All Mountain bike! 😉 The trail is called the 661 and literally starts the second you ride away from the refuge. It’s loose, and when riding anything you displace in the way of rocks or scree seem to follow you, proper unnerving initially but you start to learn how to surf it after about 15 mins! Some of the obstacles on route will have you speechless like Maribor type rock gardens or big old step downs but on the right bike and with a big set of Kahunas strapped on I’d say its 95 % rideable.

Keep following the signs to Torbole and eventually the trail smoothes out a little and you will start to love every switch back, on the way into the town is pure mental, riding down through houses and steps and winding streets, a little like what you would see on an urban red bull rampage!

One thing to be aware of with this run though is it isn’t a black run in Whistler or the Pleney descent in Morzine. What I mean by this is its no 5-10 min run. It is quite literally a 4-6 hr all mountain descent. We rode off from the refuge at 1500 hrs and arrived at Torbole at 2000 hrs! Completely spent but a once in a life time trail that is at the very top of my riding memories.

If you need any help when you get there you could pop into the bike shop in Torbole which is great and also can offer an uplift service. Sorry the name fails me but its the only one and is on the right as you first get into town coming from the Malcesine side. Also you will need to get back to Malcesine if that’s where you are staying and its about 10 miles away so may be worth sourcing a local cab number like we did after a couple of beers at the harbour. Would also be beneficial to learn ‘bike friendly taxi’ in Italian 😉

Sorry for rattling on, but I hope this can help you in some way. If you need any more advice on accom or health spars for the day after then feel free to ask away….

All the best,
    Lee.

lucien

Mecki’s is the bike shop in Tarbole – although all advertising of the shop inside and out includes gratuitous use of the “F” word – strange……

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I stayed in Riva for a Rocky Mountain product launch once and rode some amazing trails.
    As has been stated above, they were every bit as good as I’ve ridden in the Alps, etc.

We weren’t guided or anything, we just headed off uphill and then followed our noses.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

The riding there is great, ‘epic’ you might say. Be careful what you hire though, make sure its 100% ok. You can hire some pretty good bikes over there but you can also end up like me, with a total(ed) dud. Brakes couldn’t be swapped, forks seized, tires on wrong way round and the back wheel came off twice. However I had an amazing ride, taking the cable car up onto Monte Baldo then climbing the rest of the way to Altissimo. If you’re keen the 601 is an insane decent that really tests your skill and nerve

generallevi
    Free Member

Couple of additions to my post after reading mighty mowgli’s post. You can tell its been five years since I rode there as I added an extra 6 to the name of the trail, it’s actually called 601 not 661 and when I mentioned climbing for an hour to get to the refuge it is actually climbing from Baldo where the chairlift ends to Altissimo.

Nice one Mowgli! Stopped me from giving the Op non-pucker info there! 8)

generallevi
    Free Member

Just read this from Orange Alpine 160 sponsored rider, Trail Builder and riding ninja Rowen Sorrell about his trip to Garda and more importantly his ride down the 601 who just about says it all really:

‘Let me try to help you visualise. Riding down two of these trails, Slabmus on Monte Stivo and the 601 down from Monte Altissimo, your eyes were out on stalks, you were focusing so hard on what was coming up. I’m used to really technical sections in tracks and trails, but I’ve never ridden a 30 minute section! I’d say the 601 trail was pretty near the limit of what is possible on a short travel bike and we were pretty pleased to clean it, but I would advise you to try this one with caution as it is a very technical run. At the bottom of one of the descents on the Limone side of the lake I remember thinking this is perhaps the first time I’ve wanted a kidney belt on a push bike. Probably partly down to the fact that we were riding short travel bikes and going full–bore everywhere’.

‘You can of course back it off and pick your way through these trails, but what the hell’s the point in that, these trails are perfect for letting the brakes off and rattling on down full tilt, it makes you feel alive. If you’ve never ridden loose rock then it takes a little getting used to, it ranges depending on the trail from gravelly stone, much like around Monaco and Nice, to fist and football sized rocks you simply have to hop skip and jump on the fly. Sorry, does this sound uninviting? It shouldn’t, I really enjoyed the challenging trails and riding around the lake the vistas are stunning. There are of course some mellower trails too up around the Ronzo valley where the gradients are gentler and it is a little earthier, but the general vibe when you’re descending around Garda is that of…it’s shake rattle and roll time!’

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/travel-guide-lake-garda.html

chickenman

We got a lift up to Lago di Ledro, up the road to the road to the Pernici Hut (tarmac I know, but 850m of ascent in the heat is still a challenge!). Great 1500m descent (use the adjacent footpaths to spice things up)right down to Riva.
    The footpath descent off the old road down from Pregasena is fun.
    Look on Youtube for Mt Stivo and Route 102 (mtb garda)for inspiration.
    Route 661 is like riding down a riverbed!

ivantate
    Free Member

Some of my favourite riding of all time. Descents from Altissimo above Torbole are amazing and from Rifugio Nino Pernici above Riva.

Its been 3 years this summer since I was regularly up there but I am sure nothing has really changed.

just buy a map from a shop and ask them to mark up the trails.

Hope to be back there for a few weekends this spring.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was there in September. as said above, a lot of the descents are like riding down dry river beds. There are trails for all abilities. The place is basically a German resort. we used a combo of routes from website (GardaMTB), Tourist info, local leaflets, making it up as we went along. Italian mapping is shocking compared to OS. Most routes are massive climb, massive descent.

Another good descent was The Skull (Val del Diaol) into Torbole it runs parallel to The Serpent trail, which I think is also the descent for the 601 trail, not sure tho.

alpin
    Free Member

Lucien +1… Lots of poseurs there.

I used to be at the lake every weeks few year ago when I was guiding.

I f-in hate mecki’s…. Again lots of poseurs.

Plenty of bike shops in town that rent bikes.

Rode the 601 a couple of times. Each time on my DB Alpine, didn’t die, had fun and skilled up some of the lads on big bikes.

Lots of the tails there are quite tough and technical and it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

If you are with family it’s a good place to be if your kids like the water. there are other better places to base yourself if you want a weeks worth of stunning, varied biking.

sunnrider
    Free Member

If you are with family it’s a good place to be if your kids like the water. there are other better places to base yourself if you want a weeks worth of stunning, varied biking.

where?

alpin
    Free Member

Vinschgau for starters…. Dolomites, too.

I find Garda too much show and the prices are a bit much,imo.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I find Garda too much show and the prices are a bit much,imo.

one night, we drove south down the lake from Torbole to eat in Torri del Benaco and we were shocked at how much cheaper it was. seems Riva/Torbole = +30%.

chickenman

We stayed in a campsite 10mins north of Arco; much cheaper and almost empty. Given the weather in the Alps last summer,I’m sure there were lots of quiet biking resorts further north.
    Garda may be busy but it’s got history and class (well except Torbole and Limone);near at hand, Trento and the Adige valley have loads of stuff to go and see. The Dolomites are fine if you enjoy hanging out in out of season ski resorts!

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Do you know any good jokes in Italian?

chickenman

Well a bad joke is their previous President..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lake Garda’ is closed to new replies.