Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lake District walks with kids?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any recommendations? Would like something with great views or other interests that’s not too taxing for small folks

ElShalimo

Gummers How

martinhutch

Which bit of the Lakes?

South – Claife Heights – Low Sawrey to the tarns then back
    North – Boat across Derwentwater from Keswick to the other side of the lake, Allerdale Ramble underneath Catbells then catch the boat again back for chips.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Glen Mary, Tarn Hows, Tom heights, great views for little effort.The climb from Glen Mary can be omitted & the walk can be started from Tarn Hows. Latrigg from Keswick or the Latrigg Car park. Loughrigg from Ambleside, the view from Loughrigg Terrace is great. Helm crag from Grasmere. Depends how old the kids are I suppose.
    Edit:- all these require a bit of climbing but are very rewarding. I did a few walks with my Nephew when young and he really enjoyed the challenge.

BoomBip
    Free Member

I went with my 5 year old up Loughrigg Fell earlier in the year and he really enjoyed it. Just rugged enough at the top for him to feel like it’s a proper mountain.

I’m sure I saw family friendly walks in the Lakes on the National Trust site. May be worth a look.

Spud

Get to a LDNP office and pick up their miles without styles pack, got lots of great walks specifically aimed at small folks and pushchairs if needed too.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Cathedral Cave is a nice one, with a big Wow factor. There was a thread on here last year (about this time) and it convinced me to go with the kids. I took some head torches and we exited through the mine.

we followed this guide.

Cathedral Cave

nickc

Catbells, pubs for lunch, short hop from Keswick, enough of a scramble for wee kids, but not so hard that everyone gets a bit fraught. Literally one for the whole family.

anc
    Free Member

Round buttermere, easy for kids and great views. Gruffalo trail in whinlatter.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I was going to say the two above me… catbells and buttermere.

Add Grasmere to that

And what is the little stream area between buttermere and grasmere … more a picnic venue than a walk … but great for a paddle. 🙂

How about Dungeon Gill…. ?? I was dragged up there as a nipper on my first trip to the lakes.

StuF

From Ravenglass, catch the Ratty up to Boot, then walk back down a station or two (Fisherground / Eskdale Green) and catch the train back to Ravenglass.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Depends on age of kids. My eldest made it up Catbells when he was 3. He went up Blencathra when he was 4, but the nicest walk we did was Barrow, from Braithwaite when he was 5.

Alongside Brotherswater is a good one too. Nice and flat, lots of lakeshore to throw stones in, and head up Dovedale for some idyllic picnic spots and dam-building sites 🙂

And if you’re on the norhern edge, Trusmadoor and Brockle Crag are really nice remote spots with good paths.

mark90
    Free Member

+1 Cathedral quarry. My daughter loved it, aged 6.

tiggs121
    Free Member

How about this wee adventure – take the Rambler bus from Keswick to Roshswaite – walk along the river to Grange – plenty spots for paddling/swimming and scrambling – tea room at Grange for ice creams – continue walk along West side of Derwent Water – catch ferry back to Keswick from Hawes End (Catbells) back to Keswick or from Portinscale of kids are still going strong.

Chips in Keswick seems a decent idea too!

ampthill

It does really depend on where you are and the ages of the kids.

Catbells is great but if you were based in say Coniston there is no need to drive across the lakes for a walk

Other classics include

Bridleway along the North shore of Ulstwater is brilliant, but quite long so for older kids. Howton to Glenriding. The loop is completed via the boat

Younger kids can do a shorter version by walking round Hallin fell, or up Hallin fell

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lake District walks with kids?’ is closed to new replies.