Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lake District Roads – Saturday
  • druidh
    Free Member

I’m just having a quick look at potential road routes in the Lakes for this coming Saturday. Are the roads likely to be really busy and hence no fun?

MTB-ing is currently out so any advice on a 60-80 mile route starting and ending at Keswick would be welcome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A combo of whinlatter newlands and honister to get the distance up have a look at the mountain festival sportive page for a route

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You could do half of the Fred Whitton over Honister, Newlands, Cold Fell, Hardknott and Wrynose, those roads might not be too bad. Then after Wrynose go down Red Bank to Grasmere and head up Dunmail Raise (a591) straight back to Keswick. This road will be busy I reckon though. Dont know how many miles, probably at the upper end of your limit.

druidh
    Free Member

How about routes that don’t involve all the highest passes in the Lakes?

boxelder

Out around the back of Skiddaw and Blencathra – look for Caldbeck on the map. You could then reverse the Fred Whitton through Dockwray, along Ullswater through Patterdal and over Kirkstone (not too steep) and down ‘the struggle’ into Ambleside. From there, along past Grasmere, over Dunmail Raise, then around the back (west side) of Thirlmere. Mostly very quiet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Erm.

Keswick, Honister, Cold Fell and then work something out around that area, upto aspatri and work yor way back. Probably quieter roads.

Or just grit your teeth.

Keswick – Grasmere – Red Bank – Coniston – Lowick Bridge – Oxen Park – Through grizedale to hawkshead – Ambleside – The Struggle – Down Kirkstone – Matterdale end – Troutbeck – Back to Keswick.

djglover
    Free Member

How about routes that don’t involve all the highest passes in the Lakes?

not many options without using them, as you will be restricted to one valley or a big big round trip.

Eta- the roads shouldn’t be too busy to be fun anywhere, not the highlands but equally not the m25…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sportive Routes
    The 90km route does Honister and Newlands the easy way.
    Alternatives are head out to the NW coast around Allonby – Back roads from cockermouth
    C2C From Keswick to Whitehaven and back part of it on here map
    Basically Keswick, Whinlatter, down valley to Kirkstyle either side of the river, along loweswater up Fangs brow and to Ennerdale – the Fred heads over Cold Fell here but follow C2C back roads to Whitehaven there are some other return options.

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I’m currently considering the Whitehaven idea as I don’t get down this way much and would like to see a bit more of the countryside than the 30ft of tarmac rising up in front of me 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lake District Roads – Saturday’ is closed to new replies.