Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • lake district rides for beginner/intermediate level
  • rOcKeTdOg

Anyone point me in the direction of some routes, no epics just fun scenery rides with minimum portage

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Loughrigg out of Keswick,

samcamsdad

claife heights, from either bowness or hawkshead.

Trekster

http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Kentmere out of Staveley
    Whinlatter

thenorth
    Free Member

Grizedale has routes that accommodate any level of skill

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers, looking for natural rather than trail centre though, so maybe not grizedale or whinlatter

sefton
    Free Member

claife heights – you shouldn’t get lost either!

flyingmonkeycorps

There’s a LOT more to Grizedale than just the trail centre…

ElShalimo

You could cross the M6 to the Howgills for lots of natural trails

philfive
    Free Member

Borrowdale bash?

mrsflash
    Free Member

There’s a LOT more to Grizedale than just the trail centre…

this.

crazy-legs

Borrowdale bash?

Not really one for the “beginner/intermediate with minimum porterage” really…

Loughrigg out of Keswick,

Loughrigg is out of Ambleside and it is indeed a stunning route, pretty low-level, doable by all and almost infinitely variable route-wise.

I presume you meant Latrigg out of Keswick?

Another vote for checking out the Bogtrotters website, there are GPX files on there for download as well. Also, the Vertebrate Graphics Lake District book is very good.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Back O’ Skiddaw circuit: Dash Falls, Mosedale etc. Proper “out there” remoteness, with nothing too steep and narrow

postierich
    Free Member

RD when you coming up could possibly sort a route out for you!

d45yth
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the Lakes are you heading and what length of rides are you looking for, either in time or distance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Latrigg sorry my first ever lakes route – you’d never think I lived there 🙂 6 months ago. Back o skiddaw bit long as a beginner ride and rold is pain unless you can 2 car it. Nice loop from kirkstile inn you d the lake look for bridleway . Pick up the lakes guide book for more roots

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very useful thread as I’m researching a first Lakes trip, thanks.

Big thumbs up to whoever has put together the bog trotters site (had a look at some of the Peaks rides I did, love the bimbling photo down Cave Dale)

EDIT: So assume a 2 ride Lakes trip, one longer and more challenging all day ride, one a shorter intro/warm-up – which 2 would you suggest.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So assume a 2 ride Lakes trip, one longer and more challenging all day ride, one a shorter intro/warm-up – which 2 would you suggest.

Grizedale North face for the warm up and then Whinlatter blue & red trails for the challenger…

But really, do one day in the Sotuh around Coniston/Grizedale/Hawkshead and then a day somewhere further up North up a big hill. Perhaps.

d45yth
    Free Member

Jambalaya – There have been quite a few posts about Lakes weekends/rides in the last month.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just beware bogtrotters rides include footpaths etc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Claife is good! Call me on 07732929543 out of office hours for more specifics 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just beware bogtrotters rides include footpaths etc

good point :o)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@d45th – thanks I’ll do some research, not been online much past 10 days as have been away.

@davidt – thanks, I’m looking for natural rides but will research what you suggest

Fred
    Free Member

Back of Skiddaw is an excellent ride out, nice length and amount of up /down.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambalaya – I will send you a few suggestions and can lend you book. But Bogtrotters looks pretty good to me.

OP – if you are in the Southern Lakes, there is lots of easy stuff on both sides of Windermere. Plus if you ride in the area between Newby Bridge on the bottom LH corner and Staveley/INGs in the top RH corner, then you can eat at the magical Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank. Plus the whole Loughrigg round (not flat, but technically easy) and Grizedale, Claife will keep you happy for a couple of days.

Have fun!

edit: nice beer in the Outgate on the bogtrotters claife cheeky ride

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Jambalaya

A good all dayer could involve:

Park somewhere near Lowick Bridge or Subberthwaite or Blawith or Water Yeat.

Get up onto blawith common and make your way to Torver.

At Torver, make your way onto the Walna Scar

Descend.

Then you could head up towards Tilberthwaite and round by Hodge Close.

Up towards Tarn Howes and Iron Keld sort of area.

Back to the head of Coniston

Up Lawson Park into Grizedale

Then you’ve got loads of options, too many good bits of rocky bridleway to do I think. I reckon you could do most of them somehow, but I reckon you’d have to miss out Ickenthwaite cos you’ll be heading back down Parkamoor to Nibthwaite and then up the road back to Blawith.

Not ridden it all in a day but now I’ve typed it out I’m half tempted. Mgiht give it a go at the weekend!

ampthill

Loughrigg terrace ideally down combined with numerous Bridleways in Langdale and little Langdale. Easy to create a ride of nearly any length. You can look at the map and work out what the trails will be like. Food stops at Eltwerwater, Skelwith Bridge or Chapel Style.

If looking at an older map Skelwith Bridge to Elterwater is now a permissive Bridleway

Back Of Skidaw is great, but less tuneable. Borrowdale Bash is also good and trim to fit. The Bridleway along theedge of Catbells is tops for being easy with good views

d45yth
    Free Member

The Borrowdale Bash isn’t good for beginners! The climb up to Watendlath would see a few folk off or sicken them with a lot of pushing. The descents would be too much too, I would have thought.

Trekster

+1 45yth and the Honister climb might just finish them…..kills my back 😕

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers for all the tips, time to get planning 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘lake district rides for beginner/intermediate level’ is closed to new replies.