Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lake District – Relaxed walks, pretty drives, and other stuff?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Heading to the Lakes this weekend with a few friends. Staying at a campsite on Coniston Water.

Looking for a nice relaxed walk, 2-4 hours, with some nice scenery and maybe a pub involved, ideally minimal navigation needed, and nothing strenuous (if there is scrambling to the side of the main path that would be well received!). Happy to drive first, but ideally not too far!

Also, some nice drives would be good – read that the A591 between Kendal and Keswick is good, any other ideas?

Any other suggestions for less well known “must dos” would be great!

Thanks,
    Duane.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

scaredypants

I really like the views as you go up & down Newlands pass – decent walking round there & borrowdale too

senorj

You must walk up the Old man*. (go up coppermines valley and back down Walna Scar.Have a look on the map.)
    Oh and you must sample some of the ales in the local boozers.

*i think it’s relaxed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also, some nice drives would be good – read that the A591 between Kendal and Keswick is good, any other ideas?

Please don’t dordle along looking out the windows, apart from being dangerous the locals will hate you, plenty of places to park up and get into the nice stuff.

continuity
    Free Member

Blencathra via sharp edge is about as “must-do” as walking with a bit of a scramble is in the lakes.

There’s a pub at the start and the finish, cos it’s a big loops.

The ridge scramble is never tenuous and there is a path that runs alongside it.

globalti
    Free Member

Drive up the little lane and visit the amazing quarries at Hodge Close, just off the Coniston to Ambleside road. Nice walking around there as well.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Old Man obvs – although it’s 600m of relatively steep walking – easiest route is probably up walna scar roar road and over/round dow crag. Coppermines valley up to leverswater or round from coppermine cottages to the bell and back to walna scar car park for something less demanding

but also walk along the ambleside road (nice fpath/bway) and go to yew tree barn(not to be confused with operation yew tree), eat cake drink coffee, meander up to yew tree tarn, very picturesque, pop up to tarn hows, reet bonny, bob down to monk coniston, more cake, then if you’re feeling brave head to brantwood for more cake, a bit of art/culture and steamer back to coniston (get on the gondola if you can) or walk back along shore. Black bull for a pint of blue bird.

Brantwood may also have theatre/music on in the evenings too.

Elterwater and langdale along the valley bottom for another easy walk. Or tilberthwaite to little langdale, refreshments available on both.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blencathra via Sharpe Edge is NOT a good suggestion based upon your post OP. there are other better ways up for a casual walk.

The drive around the lakeside road from Consiton is nice, you can park up somewhere and do a casual stroll.

Given the forecast you really should try and pick a peak to get to the top of for the views.

I was recently proposed this as a nice easy introductory walk – Keswick to Cat Bells via Cumbria Way (250m ascent) then down to one of the ferry stops at Brandelhow Bay or Mary Mount Hotel and a boat ride back to Keswick. So walking, woods, a peak, views of lake and mountains, a boat ride, a beer or two and/or a dinner 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

As suggested, Tilberthwaite, Little Langdale, Hodge Close and throw in a wander through Cathedral quarry.

lowey

From Coniston, Park Walna Scar Car Park,
    Head east along walna scar bridleway.
    At Cove bridge take the right fork up to Goats water. Pass Goats water and arrive at Goats Hawse.

Scrambling option.[u]
    From Goats Water, your scrambling options are on the left in the form of Dow Crag. Easy Gully is a good scramble with minimal exposure for example. South Rake is just a steep climb really. F and B Buttress bit more exposed. Then summit Dow Crag. Head North and North East to Goats Hawse.

Then ascend Old Man, follow ridge north to Swirl How. Descend Prison Band then depending on time either descend via Levers Water to Coppermines or Ascend and summit Weatherlam and descend via Lad Stones to Hole Rake and then into Coppermines. Cross Miners bridge and take the path back to Walna Car Park.

Lovely day out in the hills.

dashed
    Free Member

Tarn Hows? Nice relaxed walking, beautiful spot? Depends on how much of a wander you want versus proper hike in the hills.

ampthill

I’d suggest not driving around the lake district as an activity. If your new the Lakes the their will be great things to do nearby

Hodge Close/ little langdale are good for a walk

Tarn Howes is good as well

Coniston Old man is an accessible peak. Go up via Goat’s water. You can save a few feet of ascent by parking at the end of the tarmac of the walna scar road (you save 170m leaving about 630m to climb). Descend via levers water

Boats on Coniston can be used to allow one way lake side walks

Good water sports hire on Coniston. Electic boats, rowing boats, canadian canoes etc.

If you really wanted the Trail Centre experience head round to Grizadale. Great central cafe and play area. Lots of marked walks including the sculpture walk which is fun kids

tetchypete
    Free Member

Yew Tree Farm tea room closed a couple of years ago. Chesters at Skelwith Bridge is nice if a bit busy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well I didn’t know that. Still a good walk though.

Low Bank Ground also have a cafe where I think you just leave what you think it was worth – buffet sarnies type thing I think, never been but the olds bang on about it

Chesters makes me want to die.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lake District – Relaxed walks, pretty drives, and other stuff?’ is closed to new replies.