Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • lake district question ?
  • PlumzRichard
    Free Member

what are the biggest 3 peaks in the lakes ?
    is it possable to walk them all in one day ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Helvellyn, Sca Fell, Skiddaw. Yes, I suppose, but better take your time rather than set quantity over quality…

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Depends what kind of top you count as a summit- but SFB is pretty close to being right in any case as you can add the other scafell tops to scafell pike without any difficulty. Do a google for “Bob Graham round”- it’s just a long walk. 😉

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

so if i was to attemp to summit all 3 in the day Helvellyn, Sca Fell and Skiddaw how much time of the day would be spent in the car do we think ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ugh, it hadn’t occurred to me that a car might be involved 🙁

crouch_potato
    Free Member

For once I agree with the sentiments of sfb 😉 . No need for a car for this one.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

okay then lads, so we are saying it possable to walk all 3 with out the use of a car :D, so how many miles would that be?? im likeing the sound of it

boxelder

The Bob Graham covers a lot more than the ‘top 3’
    Folk do Helvellyn, Skiddaw and Scafell Pike, on foot, without a car in a long day, but it usually involves some long valley link sections.
    What’s the challenge if you use a car?
    At a sharpish walk/jog/run pace, each can be done in between 2-3 hrs and driving between them would involve a 20 min shuttle from Helvellyn – Skiddaw, then a 1.5 hr drive to Wasdale Head (shorter walk up Scafell) or a 30 min drive to Seathwaite (longer walk up Scafell).
    As I said, regularly done without recourse to an automobile.
    But why?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

okay then well i didnt think doing all 3 would be possable with out a car but if its is then the car is being diched, im going to check out that The Bob Graham walk. cheers

crouch_potato
    Free Member

boxelder- reference to the BG was just to point out that it’s very much possible as the distance for the round is doable in 24hours at a steady walking pace. And, as you point out, this involves more than the “top 3” whichever way they are defined.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

yer not really to keen on doing a 24 hour walk quite yet, does look rather good though

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It might be no quicker with a car as you’d have to return to it instead of cutting cross country. You can go Sca Fell, Angle Tarn, High Raise, Wythburn, but from here I’d be tempted to go up Great Tongue rather than Birk Side (which is ghastly), so you might drop to Grasmere instead. From Helvellyn you can go along the ridge all the way to The Old Coach Road before crossing the valley to Lattrigg.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

so if i was to walk all three peaks (Helvellyn, Sca Fell, Skiddaw) how long do we think we would be walking for and how long would we spend in the car ?

spandex_bob

If you really do want to drive it:

Skiddaw up + down = 4hrs
    Skiddaw to Thirlmere (car) = 30 mins
    Thirlmere – helvellyn – thirlmere = 4hrs
    thirlmere – langdale (car) = 30 mins
    Langdale – scafell pike – langdale = 5hrs

So thats an hour in the car, and 13hrs going at a middling pace, out and back on the same routes for each hill. A big day, but do-able. Have to agree on doing it without the motor though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘lake district question ?’ is closed to new replies.