Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lake District next weekend – Advice / Guides?
  • badders84
    Free Member

Im heading up to the Lakes from Bristol with 3 others next weekend (24th-27th July), giving the welsh trail centres a break

We have some routes in mind but seeing as none of us have been up there on the bikes before I thought i’d see if any locals want to join and guide us on one or two of the days and save us some map reading (worth a few beers?!)

We’re also aware that its peak season for walkers so some local knowledge would be handy

If not guiding can anyone recommend routes for us?

Ta!

Dave

jekkyl

Where are you staying?

jekkyl

Are you looking for big mountain stuff or something more sedate?

badders84
    Free Member

No accommodation booked yet but, taking tents so not too fussed where we end up, were thinking around Ullswater for Helvellyn

Big mountain for sure!

tomaso
    Free Member

Big mountain plans are good but a contingency plan never hurts as its not always worth going up top even in summer if it turns foul and nasty.

Coniston is a good base as you can go big or small and guarantee cracking top notch biking trails – all weather trails :mrgreen:

Langdales aren’t far but nor is Elterwater, Grizedale, Claife, Walna Scar and if you had the weather Helvellyn is reachable.

Or the thinking mad choice Elterwater and eat/drink atbthw Britannia – the best bad weather plan.

postierich
    Free Member

beers you say ! Mmmmm

badders84
    Free Member

Nice, Garburn Pass looks good and Coniston probably a better base as you say

Is there much problem with walkers this time of year? I imagine the big peaks will be pretty busy?

jekkyl

Stay here:http://www.stayinthornthwaite.co.uk/ lanefoot farm camping, you can have a real fire.
    And do either the borrowdale bash the first day or the skiddaw ride. On the second day do whinlatter then home.
    http://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/cycling-routes/
    On the right.
    A good days ride would be the lonscale fell ride on here, out along the old railway, then when you get to the foot of the mountain go up it and then down on Ullock pike or straight back down the front, only takes just over an hour of pushing your bike to get to the top of skiddaw. The push up Helvellyn is worse & longer.

eddie11
    Free Member

Id recommend the usual 3 passes or nan beild (but I’d work in the cheeky mardale ill bell it’s great, nice singletrack up top, mahoosive steppy rocky descent) routes for big mountain

But I’d recommend the bike treks big day out red route (with perhaps a detour over lough rigg) It’s all low level stuff west of Windermere but some seriously good bits of trail hidden away.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lake District next weekend – Advice / Guides?’ is closed to new replies.