Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lake District locals
  • hambl90
    Free Member

Hi guys, my wife and I are planning a break for a few days in the lakes and have been looking at a place near Bassenthwaite , would this be a good location for exploring the area ?

Thanks

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Bessenthwaite is a nice spot but a bit out of Keswick if you want to wander round of a evening for a drink go for something to eat.

Keswick is a smashing place, depends on your budget what accommodation your looking for but latterly missus & I have stayed at the inn on the square & really enjoyed it bit pricey but sod it, I’d also recommend Mary Mount Hotel great setting very chilled out, B&B wise Pitcairn is good as is the grassmoor but there’s ample choice of good B&B’s

Also just a short walk from Keswick is Portinscale, a small village with a few pubs & very good restaurant called the Chalet, café by day great for a good brew after a walk as you can end your walk & drop in, or a evening out as it serves great food.

Hope that helps.

Trekster

We ate here; http://www.the-pheasant.co.uk/ a couple of weeks ago. It was fully booked but they set up the breakfast room for us(4 adults & 4 kids) 😀 Book early if going.
    Bit of a contrast to Friday nights experience in a Golloway hotel !!
    As above, the Chalet is good for a stop if on the ‘bash

Trekster

For an “easy” ride there is Whinlatter

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys,it will mainly be a relaxing break for me and the wife but I will be taking the bike for a spin around whin latter,would be rude not too really. Is there much in the way of cafes and pubs near our chosen spot?

senorj

Lakes distillery restaurant is good& popular at the moment.
    Cottage in the wood at whinlatter is excellent .
    Getting pissed in the bar after dinner at the Pheasant is recommended at least once in your life.

Trekster

Forgot about the distillery, really busy and fully booked for lunch the day we visited but they made space and time for us to have coffee & cake
    My local distillery; https://www.annandaledistillery.com/ Restruant is good, better appointed but service needs a bit of work!
    The cafe @ Whinlatter is good but can be a bit slow when busy. The Chalet as above in Portinscale, you could bike there and back
    There is a big hall which I forget the name of, it was near the caravan park we were staying on.
    http://www.herdwickcroft.co.uk/ The Pheasant was the only recommendation from the site owner.
    http://www.armathwaite-hall.com/

sefton
    Free Member

The garden house in Coniston.grizedale to the back of the house. Secure bike storage too. Coniston holiday cottage on Facebook.

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks all, will try and sample some of those recommendations .

tomaso
    Free Member

Bassenthwaite is nice and laid back, unlike Keswick.
    Close by is Buttermere and the riding around there is superb.Ullock Pike, Whiteless Breast, Grisedale Pike and Coledale hause,

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All depends on your perception, or where you come from!. Off down to Borrowdale with the boys this weekend for 3 days biking, I love Borrowdale, gorgeous area, great trails and walks in all directions and some really good pubs/cafes too.

Trekster

tomaso – Member
    Close by is Buttermere and the riding around there is superb.Ullock Pike, Whiteless Breast, Grisedale Pike and Coledale hause,

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST
    Which is true if you are an stw riding God 😉
    I’ve been riding in the Lakes for 20 odd years but still don’t have the said “stw knar to the max” skills required to attempt those trails mentioned 😐 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve rode with trekster a fair few times, and he’s being rather modest!.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lake District locals’ is closed to new replies.