Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lake District hotel / B&B recommendation for minimoon.
  • PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I get married at the end of April this year and we would like to visit the Lakes for half a week after as our little “minimoon”.

Myself and my partner travel the length of Britain every year in our stealth camper riding and walking but for this week I want a real nice place to stay in a nice setting. However id also like them to be welcoming to muddy boots and mountain bikes.

Can anyone recommend some where that are accommodating yet offer a little luxury? Ideally with some views and close to the hills.

Many thanks

Rich

lunge

The Drunken Duck near Ambleside is brilliant. Lovely, homely place to stay, great views, walks from your doorstep and the food’s awesome too. They’re more than happy with dirty boots as bikes (as I suspect most Lake District places are).Highly recommended.

I’ve also been recommended The Blue House Bed and Breakfast near Cartmel, but as I’ve not stayed there yet (I’m going next week) I am reluctant to recommend personally.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Brilliant, I will check those two out.

Thanks for the recommendations lunge.

MadBillMcMad

We’ve just had a lovely weekend in holmeshead farm b&b

Coincidentally near the Duck.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You could probably have 10 days abroad for the price of half a week in the lakes. It’s getting jolly expensive.

Alex

We stayed here: http://www.lakelandpub.co.uk and it was great. Bit of a walk into Staveley but since the food, beer and whiskey (huge selection) was so good we didn’t care. They were fine with grubby mountain bikers.

I was served a ‘de-constructed steak pie’ but forgave them after ploughing through the biggest cheese board I’d ever seen.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Thank you, its funny how you can google places for hours and find very little but yet those 3 places recommended all look exactly what I am after.

lowey

The Brit at Elterwater

Lovely quaint rooms, superb food and great beer. Superb walking and riding from the door.

petec
    Free Member

i very much enjoyed the boot inn, in boot.

Lovely spot. Quieter than most in the lakes. But you can do all from the front door if you want.

poolman
    Free Member

Britannia inn elterwater is lovely. Never stayed but eaten there and walks start at the door. Theres a nice looking cottage for private rental about 100 yards away, c 450 pw, if you prefer that.

Ings pub is nice too, theres a microbrewery in there.

Lakes is v expensive so i d go for a cottage and cook myself.

Also try masons arms bowland bridge.

Kahurangi

If you want something appropriate for a honeymoon and in Central Lakes, have a look at Brimstone, also in Elterwater.

We stayed there, also with muddy boots and bikes in the back of the car/van.

I’ve alos B&B’d at Howe Keld in Keswick, which the Mrs still recalls fondly. Get a big room if you need space for kit and the car park especially isn’t so secluded if you’d worry about bikes.

lunge

Update, I can confirm that The Blue Houseis bloody lovely. Very homely place, owner couldn’t be more helpful, good breakfast, lovely room, just can’t argue. There’s also a very pleasant walk from the door and an equally pleasant pub that’s 10 mins walk away. We were really impressed.

And if you really want to throw the kitchen sink at it, I can also confirm that L’Enclume is just down the road and is AMAZING. I’ve eaten at some serious eateries over the years and that place blew everything else out of the water. If you can get a table (and lets be honest, if you want to spend that kind of cash on a meal), I would highly recommend it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We stayed in the Drunken Duck based on a recommendation from STWer TMH. Well placed for walking and biking. Good pub gastro style restaurant, brew own beers (hence the name), view from benches outside 🙂

In the past we have also stayed at Queens Head in Hawkshead, the rooms in the new annex are nice. Not as “upmarket” as Drunken Duck

ton

just had 5 days at this place at Grasmere. been before, and love it.
    a bit of luxury.

http://www.daffodilhotel.co.uk/

lunge

That view from the Duck Jamba is awesome. A days walking followed by 2 pints sat on those benches, with those views is simply perfect.

footflaps

The bridal suite (Yewbarrow Room) in the Wasdale Head Inn is very nice, we stayed there last year for a night whilst back packing across the Lakes….

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Only just realised whilst looking at that lovely photo of the pint that I have had a drink at the Drunken Duck. Lovely place. Thanks for all the advice we have booked a place in Hawkshead but marked this thread for future reference as there has been some great suggestions.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lake District hotel / B&B recommendation for minimoon.’ is closed to new replies.