Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lake District / Grizdale etc
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Heading up to the Lake District for the 1/2 term hols, been given a 1/2 day possible a days’ pass to head out on the bike… any suggestions for some decent singletrack…

nosedive
    Free Member

bumping this as I have the same pass coming up.

I’ve done whinlatter, its not bad, I wouldn’t travel a long way for it though.

grizedale any good?

danielgroves
    Free Member

The north face trail is good fun, but I did it with a friend for the first one in 30mins including her having a puncture, so it’s not exactly a half day ride.

honeybadgerx

The ‘natural’ singletrack away from the TNF trail at Grizedale is superb, lot’s of different sections you can string together so you’re never too far from the car either. Get hold of the lakes guide book or do a bit of digging online and you’ll find out where it all is.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I would say Whinlatter is better just because the trails are longer, bigger and just a little more fun, also a lot more there. You could probably make the stuff at Whinlatter last a half day if you do one of them twice, but they are well worth it.

philfive
    Free Member

where are you based when your up there?

philfive
    Free Member

grizedale forest avoiding the north face.

park at visitor center.

Grandads, dads and dentist
    breasty haws
    hole in the wall
    up the bridal way from the tarn then down the rocky bridalway to visitor center.
    over to lawsons
    back up and down the river run.
    play on the black run.
    back to visitor center.

4 or 5 hours there.

flyingmonkeycorps

Is Red Mist in Grizedale? That’s one of my favourite descents I’ve done this year

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would say Whinlatter is better just because the trails are longer, bigger and just a little more fun, also a lot more there. You could probably make the stuff at Whinlatter last a half day if you do one of them twice, but they are well worth it.

I ride natural as a rule but to drive past all the wonderful actual mountains to ride this would be madness – some cracking stuff near to whinlatter as well – Borrowdale – skiddaw and the descent we dont mention
    tbh I dont even think it is that good a trail centre never miond the choice in the Lakes

The natural stuff at Grizedale is better IMHO though I have not done the new trail there – the riding there is not weather dependent as it is rocky

christhetall
    Free Member

The north face trail is good fun, but I did it with a friend for the first one in 30mins including her having a puncture, so it’s not exactly a half day ride

You did a 10 mile off-road circuit in 30mins despite having a puncture – what drugs are you taking ? 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Surly going to the Lakes, and then riding a trail centre is akin to going to a whorehouse and only getting a kiss…

christhetall
    Free Member

If you’re limited for time then the NF trail isn’t a bad choice, but if you get hold of one of the maps from the vistor centre that show the “trad” BWs you can devise a pretty good ride.

For example do the first couple of sections of NF, then go south to Parkamoor and do the brilliant descent to Low Nibthwaite. Bit of a slog to get back, but you can then do the descent at Bresty Haw.

Much depends on where you are staying though – lots of good stuff all over the place, but you lose a lot of time driving

philfive
    Free Member

garburn pass from stavely is doable in 3 to 4 hours.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Surly going to the Lakes, and then riding a trail centre is akin to going to a whorehouse and only getting a kiss… from the doorman

FTFY

mrlugz
    Free Member

Had a week in the lakes earlier this year. This was my favourite ride

strava link

bit hike a bike, but great descent.

jekkyl

up and down Helvellyn shirley.

postierich
    Free Member

North face trail is pretty good when linked up with all the other BWs.Start in Hawksheadand warm up by climbing Vicarage Lane which will lead you to the best bit of TNF trail to the visitor centre,from there keep following the TNF when you come across Low Parkamoor signs follow them great views of Coniston,keep following the bridalway untill you drop down to a cottage take a sharp left and head to Sttterwaite great trails,when you hit the village look out for the Breast Haw BW.Bit of a climb then some more great trails untill you hit the road.Turn left for a few hundred metres then you will see another BW on the right drop down across a stream then a grassy/boggy bit untill you hit the wood class trail back down to the road.You have the choice of a road ride back to Hawkshead or co visit Claife and its stunning views!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Philfive – staying near Newby Bridge, the tracks you mentioned are they marked or is this all local knowledge only?

Teeto – hahaha noted and well said

christhetall – thanks for the tip

will get a map and see what I can dig up… don’t mind hiking a bike up just so I can get the descent….just don’t want to get lost as my map reading skills are pretty sh”%

cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re staying near newby bridge then your half day pass will all be used up just travelling to and from keswick.

Something around Grizedale is the obvious choice since its right on your doorstep.

Where abouts are you staying?

philfive
    Free Member

They are a local knowledge thing but they are also all marked maps.

grum
    Free Member

Big +1 for what postierich said. Did that the other day – cracking ride and not really at all weather dependent.

Though TBH pretty much any BW in Grizedale is good.

nwilko
    Free Member

loads around at half day..3-4hrs..
    Borrowdale Bash (Keswick)
    Tour of Coniston inc packamoor
    Hodge Close / Hawkshead / Grizedale great singletrack..
    Grizedale Grunt..
    Elterwater / Ambleside / Hodge Close

please dont visit the lakes and do eitehr of the trail centres, the natural riding is awsome…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Davidtaylforth – believe it’s the swan hotel At newby

Guess really need the map….

Thanks guys

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes at half term? Sped the half day getting out!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d forget about the bike ride and treat yourself to a spa day….at the lakeside hotel.

There’s a few bits round strawberry bank way which you could sneak in if you’ve got a couple of spare hours one day. Within cycling distance of the hotel.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lake District / Grizdale etc’ is closed to new replies.