• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lake District first timer day trip.
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Never been to the lakes so looking for a quality ride from the moderate route options on the pedal North site.
    http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/lake-district-mtb-routes
    Winlatter would be the safe option but planing to ride Kirri,Mabie,Dalbeattie and Ae in the same week.
    More bike than Hike would be good. (Don’t what to put mrs soap off big hills)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The loughrigg route is a good one and lower level by comparison to many lakes routes. If you start from Ambleside, you can stop half way at the pub at Little Langdales for coffee and cake. I’d recommend the little detour down the BW thru Sawrey’s wood thru the slate quarry, over the bridge, into chapel stile and on the Chapel stile back road to pick up the route again.

Esme
    Free Member

Where do you normally ride, Soap? If you’re not used to rocky trails, then it might be better to pick an easier route, and enjoy the fantastic scenery.

Alternatively, a route with several loops, enabling you to “mix and match”, would be a wise choice. Elterwater is a good starting point, giving access to Loughrigg Terrace, Hodge Close, Iron Keld, etc.

SOAP
    Free Member

Normally South Wales trail centres, Quantock hills,North Exmoor. I’ve done Snowdon Rangers trail so happy to ride anything.
    We did the Black Mountains Killer route a few years ago and she was nowhere near ready. (Big mistake by me)
    Rode Jacobs ladder route earlier this year and that went well. 🙂
    Looking to build up to a trip to Europe . Eventually.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Back O Skiddaw is pretty much all rideable. I’d do it anti-clockwise to go down Mosedale and accept the challenge of climbing up Whitewater Dash.

Big bleak scenery, great on a good day, grim if its, well, grim.

If you’re looking for friendly, smooth and swoopy, Green Quarter would be a good bet. Can always extend it to include the Garburn Pass which is rideable heading east

ks562
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Loughrigg / Elterwater figure of 8. OH took me on it as one of my first natural rides and loved it (after the disaster of the Borrowdale Bash as my first). If you park at Skelwith bridge there is a fab cake shop which is ideal for a cuppa at the end. Its also the centre of the figure of 8 so you can either do the full thing from there or just one half.

martinhutch

Was it route length or technical stuff that put her off the killer loop?
    I’ll recommend what I always do – but it sounds perfect for you and the missus, honest. 🙂

Naturalish loop based around Grizedale and Claife Heights or Grizedale and Iron Keld/Tilberthwaite. Low level, all rideable if she’s enjoyed Peak descents, no pushing up, plus plenty of baleout/shortening options.

hora
    Free Member

I recommend the Ullswater singletrack route. Awesome and you’ll get hooked. Alot are too much hike a bike

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ullswater is great, but this time of year will be rammed with walkers. Get there early….

Just looked at the Pedlanorth page again.
    Parkamoor FTW

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Double post….

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 for loughrigg etc. We did this recently, it was ace:

http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/trails.php?id=circuitLEHCL

Nothing too scary/big for a first timer but fabulous views (on a good day!), and you can cut it short if you get tired/slow. We were back to Ambleside for a quick dip in the river and a late lunch.

traildog
    Free Member

Loughrigg terrace has recently been vandalised. So much of the lakes has been flattened recently.

SOAP
    Free Member

Looks like Loughrigg is the favourite 🙂 now all we need is some good weather at the end of the month.
    Thanks all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lake District first timer day trip.’ is closed to new replies.