Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lake District Advice
  • boltonjon

Hi guys

I’m heading up to the Lakes this weekend for the first time and i’m after peoples suggestions for the best place to base ourselves for 3 days

We’re looking to do some pretty epic all day rides with some very rewarding rocky downhills

Ideally, we’d like to camp, so any suggestions on an ideal village with a decent pub nearby and good access to the types of trails i’m after would be welcome

Additionally, any good suggestions on some trails would be welcome

I’m awaiting delivery of a MTB guide book of the area, so will look to link it all together when i get there

Thanks

lowey

Camp at Coniston Old Hall.

Pubs in Torver and Coniston (Crown, Black Bull, Yewdale) and the Ship Inn just at the site entrance, all easily rideable.

As for routes…
    Day 1 Torver, Broughton Forest, Stephenson Ground, Dunnerdale and back over Walna Scar,
    Day 2 Little Langdale, Iron Keld, High Close, Parkamoorm Nibthwaite and back by the lake.
    Day 3 Coniston, Lawson Park 2, Parkamoor, Satterthwaite, Breasty Haw, Devils Gallop, Fox Climb, Moot Top, Last descent of the NFT to the VC, CLimb NFT and Descend Lawson Park 1 and back to coniston.

All washed down with copious amounts of ale from aforementioned excellent ale houses.

scruff
    Free Member

Coniston or Hawkshead. Both have campsites, pubs etc & more trails than you can ride.

Andy

lowey – Member
    Camp at Coniston Old Hall.

Pubs in Torver and Coniston (Crown, Black Bull, Yewdale) and the Ship Inn just at the site entrance, all easily rideable.

As for routes…
    Day 1 Torver, Broughton Forest, Stephenson Ground, Dunnerdale and back over Walna Scar,

BoJo I have done this on Loweys advice before – great route – dont miss the last little bit of bridleway down to the road (turn right at the carpark). Think I have the GPX somewhere

tomaso
    Free Member

National Trust campsite at Wray is lovely.

d45yth
    Free Member

I would have said you would be better staying in Ambleside or Keswick. Both the 3 Passes and the 4 Passes would be good rides to do. Then you do something around Grizedale area too.
    Have a look on these threads for more info (both on here):
    One
    Two

emmodd
    Free Member

I rode the 3 passes the other week and it was tough going. i’d suggest only do it if you have a good forecast. We got caught in two torrential thunder/lightening storms and ended up wading through deep water on lots of the ups and downs. What should have taken 5-7 hours took 9. On a lighter note, finished with big smiles on our faces and would go back and do it again!

We rode Grizedale on the Sunday and having done so, have decided when we next go to base ourselves in Hawkshead.

d45yth
    Free Member

We’re looking to do some pretty epic all day rides with some very rewarding rocky downhills.

Emmodd – I was basing my suggestions on this.

emmodd
    Free Member

LOL. Should have checked the links 🙂

jekkyl

+1 keswick, been many times, love the place, all sorts of riding about, Skiddaw, Whinlatter, borrowdale bash, helvellyn. Also has plenty of pubs and restaurants.

erny
    Free Member

+1 for loweys routes

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Patterdale is nice, some great cycling around the area and a few campsites. Got an OS map and do some exploring.

justatheory
    Free Member

Sykeside next to Brotherswater, near Patterdale, it’s a nice site and you’ve got Helvellyn and High St nearby, Whinlatter and Skiddaw are a short drive away.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

High street is great, up through and the return, lakeside bridle path is the best in the area.

Trekster

Aye, another +1 for Loweys routes, classics….should read Moor Top not Moot Top 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – lakeside bridle path is the best in the area.

Except on a sunny day when the kids are off school.

grum
    Free Member

Lowey wins the thread

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have a few mates who live around the Whitehaven area and I am constantly amazed at the fact that all they ride is Whinlatter. The area has some amazing natural riding.

Oh, and if anyone does go to the Whinlatter the car park is actually free, NOT a pay to stay. A friend works for Allerdale CC and the local taxpayers fund the car park, the way the signs are worded make it sound like a pay/display, not one of my pals actually pay. You can get a ticket slapped on your windscreen but again, the way it is worded sounds like a fine…but its not.
    It is/ should be a voluntary contribution…..spread the word.

TomB

Alternatively, put your hand in your pocket and contribute to the maintenance and new build of the trails you’re there to enjoy, or ride up. It’s a FC car park and those trails didn’t build themselves. Annual pass £40 suits me, but I’m probably there 25+ times a year what with kids loving the awesome new play area too.

billyboy
    Free Member

What LOWEY says

boltonjon

Cheers guys – some great advice – much appreciated!

tomaso
    Free Member

If you want a free starter guide to Lakeland routes try the saintly trogbotters websh!te

mirage

Round Keswick area is best

Ullock Pike
    Borrowdale Bash
    Walna Scar Road (check this one though as part of it might have been resurfaced since I last did it also it’s a bit vague at the top and easy to loose the trail)

General advice; some of he riding will scare the pants off you and it WILL piss it down.

Have fun and I may see you up there as 12 of us are up there this weekend too

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lake District Advice’ is closed to new replies.