Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lake District
  • JAG

Hi everyone, me and four mates are heading to ‘the lakes’ to do some mountain biking on the weekend of 5/6/7th May. We’re looking to stay at the Kirkstone Pass Inn.

I’ve found a couple of routes (Nan Bield pass etc…) but was wondering what STW could recommend?

If you have a GPX file that would help us with our planning.

Thank You 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.freetime1.co.uk/en/Cordee-Lake-District-Mountain-Biking/m-1415.aspx
    Book is good!
    Also search in here but really it’s actually worse than Northumberland, nowt but trouble and really not worth the effort

qwerty
    Free Member

http://www.samhoughtonchallenge.co.uk/long-course.html (just descend Garburn INTO Kentmere, not up from)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JAG

Right – bought the book 8)

I’d still be very interested to hear any personal recommendations for routes in the Lake District or food, beer or accommodation 😆

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Other guidebooks are available! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lake-District-Mountain-Bike-Routes/dp/0957364504
    And feel free to ask the author for any info/GPXs if you need them? My email is in my profile – don’t always check in here that often.

richardkennerley

Starlys at Staveley for a curry post nan bield

simondbarnes

If you want to camp then http://sykeside.co.uk/ is a nice site with a good pub (Brotherswater Inn) and gives easy access to High Street and Helvellyn (and Garburn / Ambleside if you don’t mind heading up Kirkstone first!)

qwerty
    Free Member

Maggs Howe in Kentmere for tea and cake (you’ll earn it pedaling up the driveway!)

Northwind

I got the book Mikewsmith posted, I don’t know how representative it is but the one route I did out of it (Garburn pass from Ings) was years out of date, turned out the main descent which the entire ride is based around, is now a farm road, and has been for a few years. Always the risk with books o’course.

lowey

Just curious as to why your staying perched up at Kirkstone Pass Inn. Thats a hell of a climb to get back up to after a days mountain biking (unless your cheeky route finishes with John Bells Banner 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Lowey says, a strange place to base yourselves.

lowey

Also.. what are you looking for ? High level stuff ? What tech level ? How fit are you all, do you like hike a bike etc… will help when recommending routes.

mcnultycop

Pedalnorth routes and the Vertebrate book are both serving me well.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

As others have said, we really need to know what you’re into. As a great example, Nan Bield is often regarded as a “classic” Lakes ride but, depending on which way you do it, it’s either a lot of carrying or an incredibly technical descent. Similarly High Street is a big, steep, grassy hike-a-bike followed by what can be a pretty average traverse of the ridge. The views on a nice day are ace though, so it might be right up your street (see what I did there?).

Some of the best mountain biking I’ve done in the Lakes has been the lower level stuff, e.g. around Loughrigg and Ambleside area. Not necessarily “big days” out in the hills, but the quality of riding is superb. What are you after?

rascal
    Free Member

Just curious as to why your staying perched up at Kirkstone Pass Inn. Thats a hell of a climb to get back up to after a days mountain biking (unless your cheeky route finishes with John Bells Banner

My initial thought too. I’ve done a bit up there but nowhere near as many as some on here.
    Do you want big, long high-level rides or lower level? Legal or a bit of naughty?
    High – Helvellyn is an obvious (and legal) one. Several ways up and down – I went up the Keppel Cove zigzags a few years back and down Sticks Pass – pretty good! Skiddaw (by Keswick, North Lakes) bridleway ascent is a bit of a push but the Ullock Pike descent is one to tick-off if you like techy descents. Whinlatter is very close to there if you want a ride of follow-the arrows – I like it there even if it’s not natural Lakes. Ullswater single track, Martingale and Boredale Hause descent is a nice ride starting at Patterdale – not too long.
    Did a good naughty in June 16 – up Gasgale Gill to Coledale Hause to Grisedale Pike, Hopegill Head, Grasmoor then descend via Whiteless Pike (tech!) for a well earned pint in the Bridge in Buttermere – bloody love Buttermere. Nice campsite there too and you could do the 4 Passes from there. Borrowdale Bash from Keswick where they serve the must-try Cow Pie in the George. Also try the goulash in the Dog and Gun where they sell Loweswater Gold – one of man’s best inventions! Lower level stuff out Langdale way…Ambleside is a good base. Tower Bank Arms in Sawrey is the perfect pub. So many options!

Sandwich

Ullswater single track from the Vertebrate Graphics guide is good. Tea rooms at the start finish too. A good stiff climb on a track to start up to Boredale Hawse, make sure breakfast has settled before you begin.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To extend ullswater track, start at Pooley bridge, up onto Askham moor and descend bridleway to how town – UWBW – Hartsop – reservoir – angle tarn – satura crags – boredale hause – UWBW – Pooley bridge. A fine day out indeed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Again not sure on choice of venue

In addition to many good recommendations given ^, Loughrigg; the Tilberthwaite/Hodge Close and Grizedale make great options especially when conditions are poor higher up.

I had a cracking day (in the wet) recently at Grizedale – starting at Moor Top, across Forest, down Parkamoor, back over to Breasty Haw and then mucking about on the NF trail and the black trail near the V Centre. It was crap weather but fine riding despite no views and the wet!

edlong
    Free Member

If you want to camp then http://sykeside.co.uk/ is a nice site with a good pub (Brotherswater Inn) and gives easy access to High Street and Helvellyn (and Garburn / Ambleside if you don’t mind heading up Kirkstone first!)

+1 – lovely site and a great place to base yourself.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Take your pick from the Pedal North site

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Was there on hols last June with the missus and wee one so only got 1 day to get some riding in and as we were based in Windermere wanted something I could ride from our accommodation so planned to do the 3 passes route I think it’s called. I did Garburn from Windermere going up the Dubbs Road then across Green Quarter to Sadgill and up Gatescarth Pass with the intention of doing Nan Bield and heading back to Ings but the weather was utter shite so had to sack it off at the top of Gatescarth and head back (particularly as I was on my own and couldn’t see more than 20ft in the mist at the top of Gatescarth), but took another route back instead of having to carry the bike back up Garburn where you come out near a place called High Borrans that was just along the road from where I started the climb up to Garburn earlier in the morning.

It’s a big day on the bike with a lot of climbing/pushing/carrying and if you get the weather then it’ll be an awesome day.

Buy an OS map as it’ll help you plan things and you can also pick up smaller route maps from most of the bike shops which are printed on waterproof paper.

postierich
    Free Member

Good luck for a curry @ Starlys they did a bunk about 2 years ago owing lots of money.
    Kirkstone Inn would not be my recommendation to stay over priced crap ale with limited choice.

JAG

Thanks to everyone that posted.

Our intentions for the trip are to do some proper MTB (not trail centre) and have a proper day out/adventure in some real hills and mountains. Some of us are fitter than others (downhill types!) and we picked Kirkstone Pass Inn as they have space and are reasonably cheap. I’ll look again at accommodation and wait for my book to arrive – it’s the 2nd edition now so has hopefully been updated 😆

richardkennerley

Starlys is no more!? I’ve been a couple of times and been really impressed, but maybe it was longer ago than I thought! The restaurant is still there, I bike from Staveley every couple of months, does it just never open!?

Their cook at home spice kits were good too.

postierich
    Free Member

Its a coffee house now and its decent coffee
    http://www.mrduffinscoffee.com/the-coffee-den/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dodds in Ambleside for their awesome black pudding pizza…..

tomaso
    Free Member

It is a bugger of a starting point as getting to a trail by bike either involves some serious hike bike up to High Street or across to Red Screes. Not sure cycling downKirkstone or the Struggle to start a ride is a great feeling. However, if you don’t mind jumping in the car you can start somewhere a little easier.

I’ve never done the hike up Raven’s Edge and John Bells Banner but the is map says it is quite tough. The climb/scramble up to Red Screes is worse or similar.

Starting in Patterdale or Troutbeck or Ambleside gives you loads of great ride options for whatever the weather brings.

Helvellyn is a good option if the weather is kind.

Some sort of loop from Ambleside over to Elterwater, Coniston, Grizedale, Claife, Clappersgate and back.

A loop around Ullswater shore and Boredale is good shout for low level el stuff if the weather is fouland there aren’t too many walker’s.

From Troutbeck you could head over Garburn and do Nan Bield or variations on that. Or go towards Ambleside and any number of loops.

If you do go for bike hike abike from Kirkstone it would be quite a ride. You could do High Street and then Ullswater shore, up Helvellyn, down Dollywagon, up Fairfield and try and make it across Scabdale to Red Screes and Kirkstone. My guess is there is a reason folk haven’t done Fairfield to Kirkstone…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lake District’ is closed to new replies.