Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Lake District
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Taking the mrs to the Lakes for 3 days tomorrow. Staying in Kendal in a cottage with the dogs and was wondering what the must sees and dos are for us. I’ve been loads when I was young but the mrs has never been.

Any advice?

v8ninety

I’m not sure, but I’ve heard there are some lakes. But the big secret is; there are hills also! Which is nice, apparently. I’d quite like to go. There’s probably pubs too.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Maryport methadone clinic, Drigg Low Level Waste Repository, excavate a foot and mouth pit?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’ve got a site visit that way on Tuesday. If you’re happy with that I’ll send the details.

Drac

Pencil museum.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ooh, yeah good shout, how a bout a day with on of the sewer jetting crews from our Kendal depot?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers, she loves a pencil.

cdaimers

Maryport methadone clinic, Drigg Low Level Waste Repository, excavate a foot and mouth pit?

You forgot

– siddock burnout car collection
    – haverigg prison
    – sellafield sea lines aquatic centre

footflaps

I hear that Kendal’s Asda car park is great for doing doughnuts late at night…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Other highlights of the area:

Dalton bypass
    Haverigg marina
    Puff woods
    Boot woods (derrick bird’s last stand)
    Greenodd toilets

cdaimers

Forgot haverigg nudist beach and famous Kendal murder spots (one next to mates house near Sedgwick)

paulevans
    Free Member

Sorry, sensible suggestion:

Get the steamer in Ullswater to Howtown and hen walk he east shore lake trail back to Glenridding. Great walk. Stop at the Lowther Barn for coffee and cake.

Park at Finsthwaite and walk up and around High Dam. Not far from Lakeside at the southern end of Windermere.

Coffee and cake, again, at Chesters in Skelwith Bridge.

boxelder

As most suggestions so far aren’t in the Lakes……..
    Take the car ferry across Windermere and walk the dogs over Claife Heights here then Hawkshead.

Have a wander up and around Kentmere, parking in Staveley mill Yard – bike shop, brewery, craft bakery etc.

If you want a bit more touristy Blackwell House is nice.

You can’t go to far wrong with Ambleside

thestabiliser
    Free Member

For architecture there’s the tenements of Barrow Island and the old town hall, Millom.

lesgrandepotato

My allotment needs digging. PM me for details.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s a shame you’re not here for the weekend…..

Nipper99
    Free Member

Hawkshead and Beatrix Potter’s house are a nice day.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The pit?

postierich
    Free Member

Bloody outsiders coming top here staying in holiday cottages stopping the young guns getting on the property ladder 🙂
    Drive up Kirkstone Pass Ullswater Steamer hop on and off at Aira force waterfalls and walk the shoreline @ Howtown
    Staveley for beer and food @ Hawkshead Brewery
    Ferry across to Far Sawery food and beer @ Cuckoo Brow Hotel close walks to Claife great views

easygirl

Staveley is nice, big bike shop to have a wander round, then there’s the brewery hall for a beer or two and a nice lunch

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    The pit?

😆

That was actually snapped upstairs but it’s been refurbished now; it’s very swanky, apparently “not enough shitters though”

I went this Friday just gone; it is now all down in the pit…drink till you can’t see.

boxelder

……of course, Kendal’s really Lancashire.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ahhh, takes me back to Al and Wilf’s dub nights…………….

(Before your time I’d say)

Which reminds me OP, if you’re lookin for romantic seclusion a late night stroll down ulverston canal with a bottle of fizzy (cider) and watch the moths fry on the arc lights of the condensate towers in glaxo…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ahhh, takes me back to Al and Wilf’s dub nights…………….

🙂 reminiscing about nights in the big house/buffers etc. is probably the best bit about them!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

DTF: Tru dat!

I’ll relent:

from Kendal – do a day in sedbergh/dentdale

Sizergh caste – Yes: Sizergh Barn – Can **** off

Lyth/Winster valley for walks – lunch Dinner at the brown horse or the Punchbowl – both spot on

Cartmel/Holker for more twee ambling about than you can shake a crafted artisan, hand whittled walking stick at

Sawadeethai in Kendal for a neet out

Hire a rowing boat on coniston and go to Monk Coniston and Tarn hows while you’re there and go to Brantwood on Gondola

GET UP A FRICKIN’ HILL

Spin
    Free Member

I’m not sure, but I’ve heard there are some lakes

There’s only one lake.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also; if you’re considering Muncaster castle, think again. They’ve written off the majority of the owls as I found out to my disappointment last year.

boxelder

There’s only one lake.

No there isn’t, unless you’re claiming mountains without mount in their name aren’t mountains – e.g. K2

jekkyl

Park and get out of your at bowness, feed the ducks, wander round the shops, have a cup o tea and a slice a cake, get back in your car and drive home safe in the knowledge that you’ve visited the shit out of the lakes.

mrchrispy

make sure you take her up the kirkstone pass.
    she might moan about it in the beginning but she’ll soon start to enjoy it

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You mean to say they have little owls?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀 yes. Although that could mislead. And it’s a good hours drive.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Careful with Aira Force recommendation ^ its on the other side of the lake to the shore walk

If in Kendal, go to the Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank (thru Wintser Valley) for a meal – 15-20 min drive

alexxx
    Free Member

I was thinking of watching a few Steven Segal films back to back.. if we really get into them thats 2 nights entertainment? Walking is overrated

postierich
    Free Member

Sawadeethai in Kendal for a neet out

Closed got flooded out 🙁

Careful with Aira Force recommendation ^ its on the other side of the lake to the shore walk

There is a mooring opposite so you can get off the steamer

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oops and sorry PR, you are correct, I was unaware of the new pier.

Take steamer and get off to visit Aira Force 😉

RoganJosh
    Free Member

To everybody who is suggesting stavely cus there is a bike shop, he is taking the Mrs to the lakes for 3 days!

That is why you’re single!

P.s. Cheaters in skelwith for homeground in Windermere for cafe/coffee/lunch

Flat walk – coffin trail and rydal caves starting from rydal hall. Google it for route.

Hilly walk – coniston old man is your classic

Bit hilly walk – loughrigg fell from Ambleside OR chesters

Hilly with drive up most of it – Red Screes. Park at top of kirkstone pass and look up. Again look at map!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sawadeethai closed? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you must go to chesters (which is pastelrugbyshirtVAGdrivingmiddleclassnicknacktatageddon)* do the Skelwith force walk, it’s luverly. And have a dig about in the quarries above elterwater for some ‘man stuff’.**

*your missus will love it they sell overpriced posh looking pointless shite, I can’t get mine out of there without the use of copious pepper spray and a riot shield.

Also get thee up dungeon ghyll

**Diggers and machines, not bush grumble

alexxx
    Free Member

Chesters is alright like others have said and probably tick the holiday box – I’d probably go up to Grassmere though and get gingerbread and google some of the restaurants around there as they get really good reviews.. names elude me though sadly.. Chesters is just a bit of a **** posh cafe that’s full of hateful tourists having seat grabbing and queuing issues.. good cake though!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I spent a large part of my childhood at Chapel Stile, so I’ll recommend a drive down langdale, park in the big car park and walk the dogs up to Stickle Tarn, then back via the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel Bar (there’s a car park at the old dungeon ghyll but not sure how long you’re allowed to park). Probably best done on a weekday as it’s a bit busy on weekends.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Lake District’ is closed to new replies.