Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Lake District
  • oblique
    Free Member

I am going camping to the lake district with a few people that don’t cycle. I think I just have room to throw a bike in the car but is the riding there good enough to warrant the hassle of brining the bike for the two days ish i will get to ride it. It will be a XC bike i would bring and my local riding is the Yorkshire moors.

Cheers

lowey

is the riding there good enough to warrant the hassle of brining the bike

Yes.

boxelder

Na, don’t put yourself to the bother, it’s useless

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    haddock
    Free Member

where you stopping at?

malchales
    Free Member

I`m going next week and taking the bike & her in doors. Its deff worth the hassle

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Mmm thats a tough one…

Get yourself some routes and hit the trails!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no, there’s just a few hills and ponds and an insufferable number of outdoor clothing shops 🙁 It’s highly overrated!

a hill:

2 ponds:

snowslave

What a mad question!

Pook

nah, it’s crap

Walna Scar Road
    High Street and Ullswater
    Sedbergh and the Howgills
    Grizedale, Parkamoor and Coniston

Technically Sedbergh and the Howgills are the Dales, but they’re too close to not include

crazy-legs

Click on the Trail Guides tab at the top:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/category/uk/north-west/

North West routes link is above, there’s about 4 Lakes routes in that lot.
    pop into any of the local bike shops, they all sell route maps for about £3.

Junkyard
    Free Member

absolutely rubbish, no views , dull routes, barely hilly….nothing there but open countryside some of the trail centres are worth considering if you are desperate stay in Yorkshire absolutely nothing at all on this side of the border to compete with what you have there
    EDIT Try LINCOLNSHIRE closer and so much better

Pook

LINCOLNSHIRE???? PFFFF

Humberside is where it’s at.

gibby

Was up there yesterday (Borrowdale, walking unfortunately) – full of walkers and school trips but if you can find a quiet area you can’t beat it

haddock
    Free Member

Humberside is where it’s at.

You leave the flat lands alone Hill Billy! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

The Lake District: It’s like a theme park, only northern.

lowey

full of walkers and school trips but if you can find a quiet area you can’t beat it

Any of the Bridleways around the Duddon Valley fit the bill just fine.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Any of the Bridleways around the Duddon Valley fit the bill just fine

:

ie flat, boring and overhyped 🙁

Drac

Lakes is rubbish I hate going and not looking forward to my next trip ASAP.

oblique
    Free Member

Ok. I want to take my bike now but need to get some routes, the ones at the top seem good but i don’t know where i am going exactly yet. Will local bike shops be the best place to get maps?

Thank you for all the sarcasm. 😉

gibby

Any of the Bridleways around the Duddon Valley fit the bill just fine

Round Kentmere usually does it for me

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no really I mean it why couldn’t I have chosen to live near a proper trail centre ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

we could have a whip round SFB I believe there are remote ones in Scotland without broadband if you are interested

grumm
    Free Member

I thought the Duddon valley would be quiet – loads of walkers around there on Sunday!

Kentmere is usually pretty quiet though.

snowslave

oblique – you’ll find the bogtrotters website v helpful for route ideas….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you’ll find the bogtrotters website v helpful for route ideas

no it’s mostly us dragging ourselves dispiritedly over yet another mountain forcing me to take lots of pictures of girls’ bottoms 🙁

Dave
    Free Member

Back in the dayTM I remember we used to buy maps and plan routes. Plenty of fun just scanning maps and joining sections of trails together to form a suitable loop. There was a sense of adventure to find out how rideable the route would be and if you found something special it made it all the more worthwhile.

Now everyone wants spoonfeeding 🙁

snowslave

Very true Dave…..

grumm
    Free Member

‘Eee, it were all better back in my day.’

I am surprised though, by how bad many people are at reading an OS map. Even amongst my friends who do lots of outdoor stuff, climbing, walking, biking etc. most of them aren’t great at navigating.

Some people though, especially if they have limited time, don’t necessarily want ‘an adventure’, they just want a good bike ride. Don’t see the problem with that. People get slagged off for only going to trail centres, and now they are getting hassle for not making up their own routes when they do venture elsewhere.

oblique
    Free Member

That is exactly why i asked the question grumm. I don’t know what trails are overgrown crap and what are nice trails however good i am at reading maps.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

There was a sense of adventure to find out how rideable the route would be and if you found something special it made it all the more worthwhile.

I still have that as I try to find new connections – but I accept that many riders prefer to be led and not have to fuss about navigation 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

I still have that as I try to find new connections

I suppose riding along a narrow, busy Lakeland footpath on s Sunday with 30 other bikers could be seen as adventurous. 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suppose riding along a narrow, busy Lakeland footpath on s Sunday with 30 other bikers could be seen as adventurous.

when you’re mob-handed you can do as you damned well like :o)

D0NK

Hmm I don’t mind trying out new routes, getting lost, retracing steps after running into dead ends or unrideable stuff and occasionally finding a hidden gem – when I’m near home but if I’m travelling (eg to the lakes) I’d prefer not to spend my times hacking through overgrown/boring trails.

Not a great map reader but dont get lost too often.

haddock
    Free Member

Oblique – when you know were your staying and what type of riding you want post it up i’m sure you’ll get some good routes.

There are four maps that cover the lakes, NW = OL4,NE = OL5,SW = OL6,SE = OL7, if you plan to return – a worthy investment, theres also one that covers the Howgills its OL19 (Howgills routes are in issue 50 but makes no mention of OL19 for some reason).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’d prefer not to spend my times hacking through overgrown/boring trails.

ARE there any ?? The great thing about the Lakes is the brilliant network of interesting trails 🙂

D0NK

ARE there any ?? The great thing about the Lakes is the brilliant network of interesting trails

OK bad example, not many poo trails in the lakes IME, but im sure some are better than others – point me at the better ones 🙂

Dave
    Free Member

Hmm I don’t mind trying out new routes, getting lost, retracing steps after running into dead ends or unrideable stuff and occasionally finding a hidden gem – when I’m near home but if I’m travelling (eg to the lakes) I’d prefer not to spend my times hacking through overgrown/boring trails.

If you ride a lot you need to travel to try out new routes surely?

point me at the better ones

How will you know they’re better if you haven’t ridden the others?

:o)

ampthill

IMHO whats needed is to know where you will be based. Loads of good riding all over. No sense in driving across the lakes for no reason

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

point me at the better ones
    How will you know they’re better if you haven’t ridden the others?

yeah – one person’s idea of “good” might not be yours. For instance people are always recommending Haweswater to Nan Bield, but I’ve vowed never to go that way with a bicycle again :o) People have warned me off loads of tracks which I found to be good when ridden!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

As SFB says really,its over hyped here stay away,too rough,rocky and theres too many big climbs,its all rubbish, honest. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Lake District’ is closed to new replies.