Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lake Como, Italy
  • paulrogers6

I’m off on holiday to Lake Como (Italy) in October and was hoping to get a day’s riding in.

Anyone know of any maps, gpx’s, guides etc? Any recommendations?

Cheers

P

CoolLesterSmooth
    Free Member

Offroad or on. If it’s the latter I can help as I go out there with a road bike every summer. Otherwise I think there is riding above Brunate (top of the funicular)and the Monte Generoso area but I don’t know any specifics.I also used to see signs for a downhill trail up from the road near the Ghisallo.

Sorry, not much help there (but more than you were getting).

nedrapier

Got accomodation sorted?

Stayed here last year in the Casa Milena, and it’s beautiful!

http://www.agriturismocastellodivezio.com/principale.php?Lingua=EN

Can’t comment on the riding though, sorry. We were there for a long weekend and a wedding.

alpin
    Free Member

have a look at http://www.gps-tour.info

you will have to log on (but it is free) in order to download tracks. lots of stuff there.

tonyd

Depends where you’re staying and wether on or off road. No idea about off road, but we rented a little apartment in Limonta, just round from Bellagio, a few years ago so I took my road bike out for some cheeky early morning rides. Absolutely fantastic place.

You’re probably looking for off road, but if on road just go to mapmyride or something and put some routes together, then download to GPS. Or buy a half decent map 🙂

If on road you can take your bike over on the ferries too and ride one leg of the lake at a time. Ride up to Madonna del Ghisallo, there’s a cycling museum up there and a church to the Madonna who is apparently the patron saint of cyclists. Some fantastic old bikes in the church as well as the museum. The Giro goes up the climb from Bellagio and it’s fricking tough, but you can go the (long) back way to the museum and then descend if you don’t fancy coughing up a lung in 30 degree heat.

Edit: If you’re road riding obviously early is best to avoid the heat, but the main lakeside roads get pretty busy with commuters and wotnot. They’re very cyclist friendly but the roads are narrow and winding, and the italian drivers are…. italian so best avoid ‘rush hour’

BristolPablo
    Free Member

There is a restaurant called La Darsena in Como on the edge of the lake which serves the best pizza in the world. Get a table outside and watch the world go by for a few hours. Mountain biking is over rated.

paulrogers6

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses. I should’ve said but I’m looking for off road routes. I checked gpstour out. It has a good few decent looking routes (I’m only likely to get one day’s riding) and one or two start in mennagio where we’re staying this time.

I’ll definitely try the pizza out. 🙂

Will let folks know how I get on.

Many thanks

P

kaiserwood
    Free Member

I live not far from Como (Varese)
    Italian maps and guides not as accurate as they could be (unsurprisingly), Swiss italian much better, see:

Route guide

In italian but maps are good, I would recommend this one (if you have transport), but there are ones closer to Como:

Monte Tamaro

There is a bubble lift that takes away 70% of the climbing and a downhill course if you are that way inclined (Full face needed)
    Ben

martinhutch

Edit: If you’re road riding obviously early is best to avoid the heat, but the main lakeside roads get pretty busy with commuters and wotnot. They’re very cyclist friendly but the roads are narrow and winding, and the italian drivers are…. italian so best avoid ‘rush hour’

I know the OP is off-roading, but I would echo this for anyone considering including any road in their routes this in the area. I drove up from Lecco to Bellagio on a Sunday morning a few weeks back, and while it was heartening to see hundreds of roadies out and about, the roads are something else… the number of verrry dangerous overtakes on cyclists or groups I witnessed was breathtaking. I was scared enough inside my steel box.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lake Como, Italy’ is closed to new replies.