Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laggan cycle from Newtonmore
  • allyharp

What’s it like cycling to Laggan from Newtonmore? I understand it’s about 7 miles, but is that 7 easy miles or hellishly hilly miles that are likely to break you on returning from a blast round the trails?

I’m looking at riding the Gaick Pass from Blair Atholl to Kingussie on Thursday, then staying in a hostel on Newtonmore. For Friday a loop round Laggan before a late train home would round it off nicely.

Or would it be more advisable to push on to Laggan and stay in the hostel there, leaving fresh(er) legs for Wolftrax?

Stu_N

I reckon it’s nearer 10 miles than 7 but the main A86 is pretty much flat. Doesn’t carry a huge amount of traffic so wouldn’t be that unpleasant to ride on (considering its status as a Primary Route).

A nicer route that isn’t much longer would be to go the Sustrans route down the B9150, onto the offroad path to the Glentruim road and pick up the A889 for a mile or two.

There’s a cyclepath on the S side of the A86 after the junction with the A889 at Drumgask Farm – not sure how you get onto it but it certainly runs all the way to Wolftrax.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Its pretty mellow, no real hills – but watch out for the timber lorries they do tend to take up most of the road! Depends how much/fast you want to do? You can blast all three major loops (new red, old red, black) in an hour and a half at full on pace or mosey around with a break for coffee per lap, still only 2.5 – 3 hrs riding. But 7 miles tacked on the start / end wouldn’t kill yer!

allyharp

Excellent, thanks for the info guys!

I’ve just noticed that Dalwhinnie station is close too – so another option when getting the train home. Same again: does anyone know what the road from Laggan to Dalwhinnie is like?!

druidh
    Free Member

That’s a MUCH hillier cycle….

Oh- and not many trains stop there.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

As above, dead easy, the tracks at Laggan are short so you can take as much as you want before heading round. There are a couple of more direct off road options to Dalwhinnie too (pretty obvious on the map) but I can’t vouch for the shorter options. If you have the time, a few laps of Laggan then heading out towards Loch Pattack and round Ben Alder is a grand day out and links to Dalwhinnie pretty straightforwardly. Kenny Wilson’s book has a route (or 2?) that would be worth checking and modifying if that appealed.

[edit- Druidh much hillier?? Hardly. A bit undulating as opposed to flat, but nowt special]

druidh
    Free Member

Opps – my bad. Just checked on Anquet, and it’s actually slightly less climbing taking the road to Dalwhinnie. I guess it just all comes at once. Dalwhinnie is also 1km nearer than Newtonmore.

allyharp

Achh damn train was fully booked for bikes 🙁

So now I’m doing Gaick pass on Thursday from Blair Atholl to Kingussie then back home.

BUT I have the train booked from Aviemore on the way back (it was actually cheaper than Kingussie) so if we’re fit and fast we’ll be able to carry on and get a loop round Rothiemurchus before the train home.

Vader
    Free Member

Pity, the off road route via loch erict and loch pattack from Dalwhinnie is a beautiful (although non technical) crossing and well worth doing. Dont be tempted into the single track route marked on the OS maps that runs east west – it isn’t there anymore. I havent done it but I believe the Glen Banchor route to the north is good and would avoid the tarmac

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laggan cycle from Newtonmore’ is closed to new replies.