Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Laggan black – similar but harder?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

After a two year lay off I’m gradually building back up a bit of confidence and had a bash at the black at Laggan at the weekend. It’s a really, really fun trail, but not as technical as I thought it would be – most of it is just steep rock sections with obvious lines that are rollable. That said, I loved it and it helped my confidence no end.

I also rode the DH up at Nevis the day before, and it was great but I think my head/skills benefited more from the black at Laggan. So looking for more of the same.

Are there any trails which have a similar feel to the black at Laggan but are longer and maybe a wee bit trickier?

I’ve not tended to frequent man made stuff in the past, but had so much fun at Laggan that I’m open to any suggestions if the trails are of a similar quality. Preference would still be with a natural, Highland route though. On a HT, if that makes any difference to suggestions.

allthegear
    Free Member

Same route, ride faster?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A quick scan through Sannys munro thread should fulfil your needs!.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hairyscary

Glas-allt-Shiel 🙂

I think you would be looking at more natural stuff if you want techie and long. Any of the routes around Torridon have that rocky feel to them.

peterfile
    Free Member

Same route, ride faster?

Ha! Tried that on the second lap, if anything it made it easier!

I’m up in Glencoe this weekend, a few friends are riding Devil’s Staircase, is it worth doing? Walked over it a few times and always thought the descent into Kinlochleven looked decent. Will I get up on 1×10 OK (32 x 36 highest)?

Always fancied the north or south paths off the Cobbler and Narnain looks good too, might try those one evening next week.

I’ve got Sanny’s thread bookmarked from ages ago…will start compiling a list 🙂

Glas-allt-Shiel

Tell me more… 🙂

thegman67

If your doing the Devils staircase do the Kieran Path down to Kinlochleven then the Dudes descent at Marmor Lodge all natural trails with baws out riding

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glencoe – the Ciaran Path is a bit marmite, some don’t feel the love. Devils staircase is good, but not really very techy. The descent from the top of the staircase down into KLL is great fun on a hardtail.

duir
    Free Member

+ 1 for Glas-allt, it’s a stunning and very technical (with big consequences)in places. 1000’s of feet of descent so not like a quick Laggan black then cake and coffee. Epic if you start in Glen Clova and take in Broad Cairn before Lochnagar and then do the Capel Mounth to finish on the long Alpine style descent back into Glen Clova.

trekstar
    Free Member

Why not try Ben Lomon? Harder than Laggan black and lasts about 30 minutes http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2777&hilit=ben+lomond

legend
    Free Member

I’m up in Glencoe this weekend

The DH track should sort you out then

peterfile
    Free Member

Did Ben Lomond a few years ago, it was good, not as many non ridable sections as I was expecting. I’m not sure about doing it again though.

I’ve done Ben Donich a couple of times, last time was fairly recently, it’s great but some of it is just on the wrong side of “tricky” for me. Had a couple of big offs last time which have made me rethink doing it again until my skills are up to standard.

The DH track should sort you out then

Did it once in the wet. Never again. It’s absolutely nails! (I was strangely relieved every time I was on my back/face/arse since it meant for that brief moment I couldn’t fall off again!) 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Golspie?

highlandman
    Free Member

While looking at the Angus Glens, also consider Kilbo Path northbound from Prosen direction into Clova (various ways to approach) and the Loch Brandy descent. Finding tasty circuits for either can mean setting yourself up for quite a big day out but I like Duir’s proposal above to combine Glas Allt with Capel.
    Another good one is Carn an t’Saggairt Mor to Loch Callater, perhaps best approached from Lochnagar summit.
    Finally, (whispers quietly..) Big Mac..? Now there’s an epic descent..

Northwind

Ciaran Path is cool- a wee bit climby for a descent, and can be pretty stop-start but some really nice riding on it. Just the other side of kinlochleven there’s 2 excellent trails that come down from the landrover track that goes up past mamor lodge, they’re more constantly challenging and techy rather than big standout features though there are a couple. Riding it in the snow last year was interesting!

Have you gone off-map at innerleithen? Some pretty tricky stuff there, again not so much in terms of single massive features though

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Laggan black – similar but harder?’ is closed to new replies.