Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Laggan
  • mangoridebike

I'm planning on visiting Laggan this evening but I'm a bit confused by the trail map and how the upper Red and the Black seem to be mixed up. Can anyone who's ridden it explain? Also how Black is the Black trail say compared to Kirroughtree?

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Upper red is a diversion off the black effectively – you do the same climb, the first part of the descent is different then they join again IIRC

the black is hard – mainly 'cos there are no chicken runs – very rough and rocky

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh missed the Black run when we went there last as it was really wet (and I was being a bit wet at the time ) – Red was technical but the black sections looked full on 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

The Upper Red shares the singletrack climb with the Black and heads off at the start of the decent. Basically follow the black trail onto the singletrack climb until you get to the really obvious sign that points the way.

The Laggan black is way harder than the Kiroughtree black. It's nothing like as long but much more demanding. The only part of the Kirroughtree that is perhaps comperable is McMoab.

dmiller
    Free Member

The black is balls out!

I can ride a trail center red easy. Nae bother. I can ride the Nevis DH red start to finish (with a few bum clenching moments) but I can ride it all.

The black at Laggan kicked my ass weekend before last!

robgarrioch

A recent similar post here.

mangoridebike

Hmm – I'll maybe give the black a miss then, particularly as I'll be riding on my own.

If I understand TJ correctly am I right in saying that you can't ride the Upper Red without doing some of the black?

gonefishin
    Free Member

You have to ride the singletrack climb of the black but you leave the black before it gets knarly.

mangoridebike

Thanks for pointing me to the additional info from those threads Rob.

Cheers Gonefishin, maybe I'll take a cautious roll around and see how it goes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

magoridebike – not really – the shared bits are red not black.

its fine. I am no riding god but have been round both reds and the black – the black a few years ago on a shonkly old bike with almost no front sus and the lower red on my tandem.

I think Laggan is the most fun I have had at a trail centre. I just wish that the last few time I had been there I had not been knackerd or hung over so could attack the black again.

Bunnyhop

Very well sign posted, so you shouldn't get confused.

kezzergraves
    Free Member

I'm typically midrange at riding and the black bit is fine, its actually quite fun for a trail centre. we had a go at some of xc the stuff at the nevis range, it was toss. K

foxyrider
    Free Member

All Riding is good riding – its what you make out of it really – I like tech (gives me the adrenaline) or fast singltrack/XC as I can get teh cardio buzz esp on a lovely dry sunny trail 🙂

mangoridebike

Just got back, did both reds and the black in the end. the black was very challenging but awesome, the climb up to it and the descent were mentally challenging and the first time I've attempted such a large amount of technical riding in one ride. I was surprised at how much I as able to ride, having got feared the worst having read the stories on here. I think if I were to do it again I would be able to ride a fair bit more as line choice and momentum are key and knowing what was coming up on the trail is crucial. Some of it I chickened out of as I was riding on my own and the carpark was deserted when I arrived so I knew that I needed to be careful. some of it was definitely beyond me at the moment, but its good to know where you need to improve.

the upper and lower Reds were good too, although the flow of the lower red was lost in the bottom half, and the bike park is cutting up pretty badly with braking bumps all over the place.

my new favorite trail centre though 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Laggan’ is closed to new replies.