Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ladybower/Peaks route for a visitor
  • andyl
    Free Member

Off to the Peak District for a short break and have a pass to take my bike 😀

So I have 1 day to explore the area (just setting up a new GPS that’s been on the shelf and not used) and we have the OS maps for the area to walking.

Have spotted the Ladybower Lite route from the Dark Peak Trails book here (1) and here (2)

Also spotted this slightly longer Ladybower route

Was just thinking about ordering a copy of the Dark Peak Trials book as backup and to take a look at the area and a GPS mount but wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Looking for something that gives me a good general experience of the area, sight seeing but not cycle paths.

Need to choose the bike too – mile munching, confidence inspiring 29er hardtail with smorgasboards or dropper post equipped but light and fun C456 with worn NNs.

Cheers

andyl
    Free Member

Should add I spotted this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dark-peak-routes-mbr-killer-loop-maybe

this one http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genuine-ladybower-route-question

and this one: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ladybower-loop (some links expired).

so just looking at a few of the other routes given.

I do have one question that I’ve not seen the answer to yet: Which way is the right way on the ladybower route? Clockwise?

carlos
    Free Member

What sort of mileage and trails do you ride normally?

How many miles or hrs are you looking at riding and will it involve a Cafe/pub stop, where is your preferred start point or have you transport?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Garry_Lager

Clockwise would be normal on those ladybower routes – Blackley clough (potato alley) and Lockerbrook are popular descents.

The ladybower lite route(s) is too short if you’re visiting for a day. It’s true that Peak miles count double, but you still need more trail than that for a decent ride. The longer one is better – depends how long you’re aiming to ride for I suppose.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack OP but I’m tempted by a Peaks ride this Sunday. I’d be starting from Langsett and up and over Cut Gate towards Winstone Lee Tor and down to Cutthroat Bridge. The only time I’ve done this ride previously I road along the road back to the visitor centre before back around Derwent Water and back over Cut Gate but want to add a little more on maybe. It looks like there are two options:

1) cross the bridge and a short way up the visitor centre road before climbing up to Crook Hill Farm and then BW along the tops, turning right at Hagg Farm and dropping back down to Derwent Water? Is this any good? Whats the descent like?

2) Looks like I could head around the South side of Ladybower and then drop down somewhere below Hagg Farm and then climb up and over to meet Derwent Water. Any options that side? Is that where the Beast is??

Cheers
    Dave

frogstomp

I’m there on Friday and have been eyeing up the Hope Valley Challenge route.

If you’re there Friday and want to join up let me know.. or anyone else for that matter!

flyingmonkeycorps

andyl –
    The Ladybower Lite route is VERY lite, and I’m notorious for liking short rides. The longer one is a much better option, though still not exactly epic. Taken at a steady pace it’s a not a bad option for a leisurely day. Depends what you’re used to riding, really. It also has a few options for different descents.

Davey –
    1. Bloody brilliant descent, super fast and fun. I rarely do a ride round there without it in.
    2. Yup. Cross over the dam with the sinkholes, follow the track round the side of the reservoir then bear left up onto the Roman Road (there’s a couple of options to climb through the woods), follow the Roman Road to Hope Cross and bear right at the obvious crossroads – that’s Fluffy Kittens (or the Beast, as it used to be known). Straight on is Blackley Hey which is also awesome. You can then climb Hagg Side (horrific, steel, loose, push) or Rowley Farm (easy tarmacish) and head back down Lockerbrook. All that is a fairly serious ride though.

frogstomp

There’s also a BHF ride on Saturday.. that has some other similar route options. I’d probably give that a bash (rather than Friday) if I didn’t have a 100 mile road ride on the Sunday!

andyl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Distance wise I normally ride with the dog these days so have to keep it shortish or arrange for her to be picked up. Would be leaving the dog with the OH on unfamiliar trails but would like to find a route with somewhere we can meet up half way or at the end.

Used to do longer rides with mates of say 30-40km or quick evening blasts and of 20-25km. By myself the pace place will be slower.

I did think the ladybower lite looked too short.

antigee

Which way is the right best way on the ladybower route?

No right way, a lot of the time some routes work best in a particular direction as suggested above – but I think if you dig deep enough near Lockerbrook you’ll find the bodies of quite a few who’ve said “aren’t you going the wrong way?” 😈

edit and have a good ride

andyl
    Free Member

bump for evening crew.

Got the free talkytoaster OSMs on my Eltrex and too it out with me today. Seems pretty good, need to look up the benefit of the pay ones v the £20 garmin maps on the cheap 800 thread.

Dark Peak and bike mount ordered. New XT brakes arrived today so got some fettling to do.

carlos
    Free Member

Did you pick up the email I sent? I used the address in your profile

andyl
    Free Member

Just got it. Cheers. Just going to spread out the OS maps and locate the routes. Much nicer than looking at maps on a PC screen.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

fmc – thanks for the advice. I may head up there Sunday and see how fresh I’m feeling when I’m at the Ladybower Inn and decide then whether I do the south side of Ladybower/the Beast or not.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ladybower/Peaks route for a visitor’ is closed to new replies.