Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ladybower/Derwent area – any good for kids' biking?
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Getting a bit bored of the Monsal Trail and want to take my 6 year-old daughter somewhere different. Is there a good kid-friendly route from Fairholmes? Thinking 6/7 miles, reasonably flat and traffic-free road or smoothish offroad – she’s confident but not quite ready for the rough stuff yet! Thanks for any suggestions.

sturmeyarcher

From Fairholmes just pedal around the top of the reservoir. That fits your requirements perfectly.

MoreCashThanDash

Where exactly are you? There’s the High Peak, Tissington and Manifold trails around the Peak District, the green at Sherwood Pines was fine for our kids at that age.

Further south is Hicks Lodge in the National Forest, the green is great for youngsters, the blue is a relatively easy step up.

muzzle
    Free Member

I’m in Sheffield so looking for something within an easy 20 min or so drive.

scuttler

From Fairholmes and if you’re bothered about the distance/weather do a U-shape (car park at the bottom of the U) and then you get to swing back via the car and/or do whatever distance you want.

The full loop via Slippery Stones is about 12 miles best ridden clockwise.

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks. If we went right over the top via Slippery Stones, how rough are the offroad tracks around Slippery Stones and the packhorse bridge?

br
    Free Member

Park at one end of Ladybower, cycle to the café and then ride back?

AlexSimon

muzzle – Member

Thanks. If we went right over the top via Slippery Stones, how rough are the offroad tracks around Slippery Stones and the packhorse bridge? It’s all fire-road and gravel unless you go off up towards the Cut Gate route.

Another option for you sometime is the Roman Road from the Fox House Inn – then a quick whizz down Lady Cannings (it’s perfectly rollable and fun). Then back either over the cheeky Ox track when dry or road to Burbage Bridge, then back down the cart track. towards the Fox House.

We also rolled down to Padley Gorge for a quick packed lunch and a paddle. A few bits to walk for a 6yo, but not much in total.

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks b r but I want to avoid the road between Fairholmes and the A57 (I assume that’s what you were suggesting we use…?).

AlexSimon

The road is closed on a weekend – full of bikes – very pleasant to ride

joat

If you park on the road near A57 bridge, you can ride up the eastern side of the reservoir on the off road track. Alternatively, there’s the old railway trackbed on the Win Hill side of Ladybower which turns a bit more up and down track to the bottom of “The Beast”.

thepodge
    Free Member

The road between Fairhomes and the A57 is not closed all weekend.

The road between Fairhomes and Slippery stones is closed all weekend.

People still drive up to Slippery Stones at the weekend because they are idiots but in general its quiet.

AlexSimon

Ah sorry – misunderstood. It’s a long enough route for kids just Fairhomes > Slippery Stones > Fairhomes without dropping down to the A57 imo

oldejeans
    Free Member

my 5 year old did this loop on the weekend and thought it was OOOOHR-SUM

thepodge
    Free Member

Its frowned upon to ride it and there is a load of steps part way but there is a paved footpath from Fairhomes to the A57 that I rarely see anyone on.

antigee

Not quite Ladybower but from A57 traffic lights drive towards Bamford, turn down Lydgate lane after Yorkshire Bridge Inn below the dam and park before right angle bend – ride up towards the dam then head 180degs back towards Bamford on the old rail line “timberland trail?” left turn at end and short section on a minor dead end rd gets you to a decent playground and then ride across playing fields towards and then under railway line – pop out in garden centre car park – hot choc’s or icecream depending on weather – used to have lots of gold fish for kids to ogle back reverse route
    Or start from Heatherdene (toilets) but pay for parking and the descent from the (“cyclists dismount”) dam wall requires an enthusiasm for braking kids don’t always have
    About a 6mile loop with enough to entertain

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ladybower/Derwent area – any good for kids' biking?’ is closed to new replies.