Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Ladybower this weekend
  • votchy
    Free Member

Never ridden in the peaks so looking forward to our trip on Saturday, we have 2 choices of route:
    Big loop
    medium loop
    7 of us riding, which route would you locals err us towards? The big loop is deterring one of us, i am the slowest but have greater stamina than the deteree and fancy the longer route, the rest of the group are all fit as butchers dogs but a couple lack technical ability, ok climbing not so good descending.
    So opinions then please guys?

dannyh
    Free Member

Both are great rides.

The days are long at the minute so the longer one shouldn’t intimidate you too much, but if it is fitness that is the issue, nearly 29 miles is quite an undertaking.

If you don’t know the area and the riding that well, I would suggest the medium route, but spice the initial leg up a bit by going up the bridleway to Whinstone Lee Tor on the initial run down the east side of the reservoir. That will bring the ride up to about 23 miles if memory serves me and will add an extra (very tough) climb and fun descent.

The other thing about that route is that it descends Blackley Hey rather than the Beast. Neither is easy, but you do need a bit more technical skill on the Beast. Don’t get me wrong, though, the whole route is rocky as hell and you’ll take a right kicking, but finish with big grins.

GHill

I agree with the dannyh’s suggestion. Follow the start of the longer route, then when you reach the A57 follow the medium route. If you fancy a bit of a rest half way round you can follow Edale road down into Hope and sample some of the cafes.

globalti
    Free Member

Drop in to the new cafe in Hathersage Social Club (on the Station Road junction) and try their amazing waffles. Good safe place for bikes too.

RustySpanner

Go very early.
    It’s like Karno’s up there at weekends – imagine riding round the Trafford Centre.
    🙂

Dickyboy

we’re going too 🙂 just heard weather forecast for w/e 🙁

nbt

Both those routes go up this permissive track

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=417330&Y=386120&A=Y&Z=120

There’s been a lot of logging on the eastern side of that hill coveing both of the approach tracks. They were both closed to through traffic for some while and were apparently “destroyed” due to the massive machinery moving up and down them. I’m not sure if they’re open again, or if they’re in any fit state to ride

bigmick25
    Free Member

nbt – Member
    Both those routes go up this permissive track

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=417330&Y=386120&A=Y&Z=120

There’s been a lot of logging on the eastern side of that hill coveing both of the approach tracks. They were both closed to through traffic for some while and were apparently “destroyed” due to the massive machinery moving up and down them. I’m not sure if they’re open again, or if they’re in any fit state to ride

Rode up this trail on Monday and its now fine.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What nbt said!
    The climb from the East to that point might have recovered a bit by now but the climb from the North was absolutely destroyed when we did it in Feb. Machinery still working it then and mud a foot deep all the way up from the res.
    The top section, where the arrow is, after the two climbs intersect, is fine though.
    I’d push up the beast instead. It’s only short.

votchy
    Free Member

Looking at the forecast I don’t foresee there being too much of an issue with walkers lol. On that note though how does this area fare in wet weather, does it become a skating rink on the rocks or is there still reasonable grip, are there bail out options, anywhere to shelter, really exposed to wind etc?

hora
    Free Member

The logged route is now open and surfaced again/ok.

Re rain. Met/bbc change their forecast daily for the Peaks. Start early- its only busy in the carparks/parking as most peaks visitors are shy of venturing far it seems. Im on a green patriot if you see me. I seem to be the Peaks Yeti with the spottings of me 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Lots of grip- tons of it in fact. Nothing like the Lake District limestone. Does anyone have a slightly better gpx that they can lend the OP? On the long route it cycles long along the res before the start of the climb upto Win Hill?! (am I reading that right?). I’m hopeless with giving directions or place names. I’ll nudge Pook.

Dickyboy

Re rain. Met/bbc change their forecast daily for the Peaks

that’s true, heres hoping the sun managages to shine on through then

Pook

I’ll see if I can knock one up later

votchy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, there appears to be some dissent growing in the camp and I am trying to raise morale!!!

thepodge
    Free Member

If its raining avoid WLT

votchy
    Free Member

What’s WLT???

Pook

Whinstone Lee for and Derwent edge. Just east of ladybower

thepodge
    Free Member

Its all a bit sensitive up there and turned / turning into a proper mess that’s all.

hora
    Free Member

WLT? Its a place where thousands of walkers and DofE will trample through 365 days a year as its a main walking route. Don’t ride it though, stopping a handful of riders will save it.

I’m convinced most of the erosion in the Peaks is done by its popularity of walkers/ramblers/DofE.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thousands of walkers and DofE don’t mince down the side of the track because its too rocky in the middle, cyclists do.

Thousands of walkers and DofE don’t leave really obvious tracks for moaners to pick up on, cyclists do.

Thousands of walkers and DofE don’t get it in the neck, cyclists do.

Thousands of walkers and DofE don’t have to put up with you being a nob, cyclists do.

hora
    Free Member

So walkers would walk through the deep puddles in the middle? They walk round the edges as most of that rutted track is puddles in the centre!

Thousands of walkers and DofE don’t have to put up with you being right on the subject, cyclist do.

FTFY

thepodge
    Free Member

I cant remember the last time I saw a cyclist go through a puddle

I’m not the only one who suggests keeping off WLT though am I? this comes up every time, load of people say stay clear, you bump your postcount trolling on it

hora
    Free Member

I didnt say all cyclists walk through the deep puddles (or the puddles in the roots). What I am saying is (in answer to your the widening track is created by cyclists)- that I disagree with, walkers too wouldn’t walk in their shoes, trainers etc into unsighted potential ankle-twisters or just plain get their shoes/lower pants wet walking through the centre. So they also walk round the edges thus making it wider/erroded.

On a different note- Its one of my favourite flattish section in the peaks- its ever changing nature means you can try and ride it without dabbing.

Not riding it when raining is pointless. Its a very popular route. If or when its made flat aggregrate, well it’ll be a loss (to me).

The whole of the Peaks is eroding, has been created over thousands of years. I don’t understand the ‘lets preserve it’. Where do you expect all the visitors to visit? The Villages?

Better close this website quick http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/

Footfall means erosion. Its ever changing. Its not mint in box.

thepodge
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a toss who makes it wider, what I do give a toss about is that at any opportunity some user groups will blame cyclists partly because they are nobs partly because tyre tracks are really obvious. The less opportunity we give them to kick us the easier it is for us to progress.

Your view that someone’s already causing problems so you might as well join them really isn’t helpful

hora
    Free Member

No one will tell me where I can and can’t ride in the Peaks. Its public, its not illegal. Even if I ride a footpath there its not illegal. Its advertised all year round as a destination and is a honey pot for people from around the UK. People trample along WLT in their thousands each year. Seen the soles of proper walking boots? Akin to mud tyres. No footdown, off, slip, slide, grip etc.

Comes back to drop in the ocean really.

What does worry me is places like the Surrey Hills, where some of the land is private/by permission and its crowded, the tracks are like the Somme in parts. There I would avoid riding on really wet days.

thepodge
    Free Member

No one is telling you, we know you won’t listen

It’s being suggested that other people don’t ride there

hora
    Free Member

This is nowhere near the 4×4/greenlaner issue.

What will piss locals and walkers off is not slowing down when approaching/manners, shutting gates and not dropping litter. Standard stuff. Good Peaks code in otherwords.

dannyh
    Free Member

^^^^^^^

Come and ride in the Peaks – home of access and mountain bike harmony 🙄

I could have put money on the above argument happening as soon as ‘peak district’ and ‘wet weather’ cropped up in the same thread.

You whistle it and I’ll sing it………..

🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄 🙄

dannyh
    Free Member

Its all a bit sensitive up there

Can I please ask what you mean by that – for future reference?

Has whoever owns the land deemed that the bridleway is being widened or eroded unacceptably and said so?

Or have they commented on the ‘cheeky’ descent from the junction?

Or is it just that you have determined that this area is ‘sensitive’ in terms of ease of damage caused by traffic?

I’m being slightly provocative, but only slightly. I think it is important to actually define what you mean by ‘sensitive’ rather than just leaving it as a vague term to try to put people off of riding it.

A lot of people complain about NIMBYism on here when referring to landowners, walkers etc ‘versus’ mountain bikers. But there are frequent examples on STW of this kind of attitude between ‘local’ (and somehow entitled?) riders and ‘tourist’ riders from ‘outside the area’.

If there have been proper complaints by people who actually hold a position where they could close paths etc, then please say so – otherwise it really is down to the individual and what they feel comfortable with.

hora
    Free Member

No ones complained. Its high-traffic/popular route for all.

The ‘cheeky’ isn’t really cheeky is it. I’m actually sure its undesignated. Its not even a footpath. Halfway down it leads into a bridleway anyway. I’d be happy to be proved wrong on this.

What does need attention is Cut Throat bridge itself. Its very wide now in parts (upto 10m’s say?) but again its an access point that leads to the top of a popular hill in the area so will have high traffic.

The Peaks are very popular with everyone.

Pook

Or have they commented on the ‘cheeky’ descent from the junction?

Interesting one that. A ranger caught me on there and gave me a dressing down. When I argued it wasn’t a designated footpath to his ‘this isn’t a bridleway’ comment he told me that was only because the land owner hadn’t got round to signposting it.

Sounded like bollocks to me though.

It has got visibly wider.

hora
    Free Member

MBR, MBR’s special feature ride guide mag and Dirt mag all haven’t helped featuring photos taken on there. Nevermind the bog trotters who first had pics of it up years ago! 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

Pook.

Yes – as it is open access land etc, the exact status of that is a bit murky to say the least.

To state my position/opinion, I am not of the view that hacking a bike through an easily damaged area is entirely OK – I try to exercise discretion myself in what I do and don’t ride and when – I don’t want to ruin trails, and try not to. This is my decision to make, though.

What I do object to is people innocently asking questions on STW and walking into a barrage of argument, persuasion and aggravation. The OP sounds like he might not have ridden the area before, is probably looking forward to it, yet his thread quickly degenerates from an innocent question into a series of ‘you ought not to ride there’ posts by locals.

Using vague terms like ‘sensitive’ also hints at landowner/user friction that might not be the case at all – thus putting people off riding the area. If thepodge can provide some details of official complaints then I will stand corrected and I will apologise for pushing this – but it is important to be clear what you mean by ‘sensitive’.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d avoid WLT in the wet because it’s simply unpleasant, like riding through a particularly nasty grade of highly abrasive liquid sludge. 😐

hora
    Free Member

BWD have you ever seen WLT dry? It always has puddles in due to the big hill above it along its length. Possibly in the height of summer but any other time?

Pook

I follow @kofthep on twitter. It’s pretty useful for knowing what’s going on trail condition wise- especially up there cos it’s the most popular area.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD have you ever seen WLT dry? It always has puddles in due to the big hill above it along its length. Possibly in the height of summer but any other time?

Yeah, lots of times. I’ve been riding it for over 20 years and seen it change from a ribbon of white quartzite sand threading its way through the rocks to a ribboned, eroded mess of a thing. But I honestly don’t care if you do or don’t ride on the Earl of Podgeness estate, I’m just saying that it’s not a pleasant experience when it’s comprehensively wet. 😉

benman
    Free Member

Back to the OP, if you do the big loop I wouldn’t bother going over Rushup edge to come back down Chapel Gate. Its been sanitised since that article was written. Better off carrying on up the Mam tor road, and dropping down the bridleway to Edale.

hora
    Free Member

Why not do the Jacobs Ladder route OP? 100% rocky and its a great route for the Peaks IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Ladybower this weekend’ is closed to new replies.