Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lady Canning's trails – what say you?
  • frogrocket
    Free Member

I’m thinking of checking this out with a group of varying ability but want to make it worthwhile for everyone. Half are coming from Manc, half from Notts.

Grade looks ideal, as my dad is a novice mountain biker and 66 years old, but a pretty fit roadie. Sounds like it is fun enough for the rest of us 30 somethings too who have ridden most of the classic Ladybower stuff.

How long are we likely to spend here before we have done it to death?

Is there stuff worthwhile to link it with nearby?

Map/strava links would be great if possible.

Many thanks!

thepodge
    Free Member

3 laps and you’ll be getting bored

Look at the other Peak thread today for suggestions as its all in a similar area

cp

top to bottom is measured in seconds rather than minutes.

It’s also going to closed in October for some maintenance work.

it’s great to go and ‘session’ for an hour, but if you’re not local it’s great put into a bigger loop.

whitestone
    Free Member

I did this when doing the Peak 200 ITT but due to a map reading error on my part I went up the trail 😳 Even in a knackered state it was pretty easy going in that direction, I only realised about a third of the way along thinking, “this isn’t very flowy”!

It was about five O’clock in the morning so no-one else about.

ahwiles
    Free Member

How long are we likely to spend here before we have done it to death?

as above, 3 laps should be enough.

Is there stuff worthwhile to link it with nearby?

how about riding over the Roman/Houndkirk road, and then through Longshaw? (it can get busy here, the National Trust politely ask cyclists to walk the short path in front of the house)

at the end of the Longshaw estate you’re onto Frogatt edge, which is a great ride.

top to bottom is measured in seconds rather than minutes.

perhaps a little unfair, most people take around 3 mins…

It’s OK as part of a ride, but travel just to ride it and you will be hugely disappointed.

docrobster
    Free Member

As above, it’s not a destination in itself but links in nicely with other local trails.
    I live 25 minutes away by bike and have been known to nip up there for 5 laps which fills an hour but mostly we just do it at the start or end of a ride that usually takes us over hounkirk and burbage moors to blacka moor and beyond. The eastern moors loop in the vg book is is probably ideal for a roadie having a dabble. Have a look on strava.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s great for self coaching. Pick something to work on for a lap, looking ahead, pumping, weighting the outside pedal, weighting the inside grip etc, and focus for the couple of minutes it takes to get down.

frogrocket
    Free Member

OK cheers all. Looks like its just a trail day this sat so next weekend should be ok. Will have a look how to link it in to something bigger.

bomberman
    Free Member

I got bored after two runs, mainly because it’s all crammed into a small space and so you need to be really skilled to be able to ride it – it’s very tight and twisty and slippery. You’d be disappointed if you’d driven from manchester to ride it but you have the whole peak district at your disposal from there.

You can park at the Norfolk arms and either follow Fulwood Ln to Redmires reservoir and out to stanage edge via stanage pole, down the pack horse trail (the edge) and do a cheeky back along Ringinglow road to Burbage Bridge and get on the trail which runs parallel to the footpath along Burbage Edge to the Fox House pub. Then back along Houndkirk Road (a great route in itself) and THEN finish off with a play in Lady Cannings plantation.

OR

You could start with a play in Cannings and then head down Houndkirk road and turn LEFT at the Fox House pub, down Owler Bar Rd and left through the gate onto Moss Rd down towards Blacka Dyke (there is a left turn through another gate that leads to some quality singletrack that leads to the Dyke). That will bring you back out onto the A626 and you can cut up and get back onto Houndkirk Rd and back to the car park.

Either route is challenging and fun for all but will have some get off and walk sections for complete newbies. Cannings is more like a pump track.

nickwatson
    Free Member

It’s blooming good fun though, and will put a smile on your face.

Best done as an addition to a longer loop, as suggested above.

Nick

jeffl

You could link it up with the Eastern Moors route. Quite nice riding along Curbar/Froggat edge. Personally I’d do the route in the opposite direction, but that seems to be standard for a lot of the VP routes 🙂

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/blog/v-publishing-blog/2014-06-19—free-route-download-white-peak-mountain-biking-eastern-moors.html

It’s not super gnarr but as you have a mixed ability group it should suit all of them and there are some nice views. Oh also you can now ride along the permissive bridleway below Burbage Rocks and then head down towards Ringlow Road.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=426710&y=381955&z=120&sv=426710,381955&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=584&ax=426710&ay=381955&lm=0

jeffl
    frogrocket
    Free Member

Cheers jeffl – ridden bits of this before, presumably before it stopped being ‘cheeky’ (although I did think it was already bridleway under Burbage rocks – glad to see some sensible changes have been made!)

frogrocket
    Free Member

Thanks Bomberman – good suggestions, will give them a proper look with a map

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lady Canning's trails – what say you?’ is closed to new replies.