Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lady Cannings Routes
  • ndg
    Free Member

I’m visiting Friends in Dore this weekend, and while the wife gabbles I’m off for a ride around the area. It’s only 2 miles from Lady Cannings, so will definitely head there and ride the two trails. Could anyone suggest a route to extend this to 3-4 hours? I love riding stuff like The Beast, Screaming Mile, Jacobs Ladder etc, so of a similar vein would be good. Had been thinking of going up through Redmires and down Stanage Edge?

Thanks

Pook

Good stuff in Blacka Moor, also the Eastern moors loop would make a nice extension.

wadam00
    Free Member

Over houndkirk, on to Totley / dore moor and join the eastern moors loop. Once your over frogatt go through longshaw estate and then up burbage and back round towards cannings. If feeling fresh chuck on a loop to stanage via redmires and back around – possibly coming down burbage (as if it’s quiet it’s fast) and back over houndkirk.

Or that route kind of backwards with a bit of devils elbow chucked in

Mowgli
    Free Member

Stanage is a good short descent, but it’s a lot of road to get to it and back again. There’s some good tracks down through Blackamoor which link in well to Lady Cannings. The BW across the top of Curbar and Froggatt is good and could be linked in, but it can be busy with walkers at the weekends which can spoil the flow – do that bit early.

markshires
    Free Member

As Mowgli said stanage is a pretty good decent but it is a bit of road over to it and then back from it, but the view from the top is pretty good, so I’d say it’s worth the detour. Last time I was that way we started at the bottom of lady Cannings and rode over to do stanage edge before the walkers and then headed back over to do a couple of the descents on Blacka Moor, finishing with as many runs of lady Cannings as you can manage.

My video should give you an idea of the route
    [video]https://youtu.be/MQ1-tkdQpgo[/video]

d3carbon
    Free Member

It would be rude to not go down Devil’s Elbow if you’re riding round that area!

ndg
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions, but where devils elbow?!

Mowgli
    Free Member

Devils Elbow is one of the tracks down Blackamoor. The bits in yellow are good. Lady Cannings is just to the north beyond Houndkirk Tor.

ndg
    Free Member

Cheers!

ndg
    Free Member

Good ride, think I picked up all the recommendations, though I didn’t get over to Stanage in the end:

http://www.strava.com/activities/1097664523

Thanks

Edit to say I don’t know what the forum is doing with this link, just copy it into a browser and it works!

grannyjone
    Free Member

I did this massive ride in that area in March:

https://www.strava.com/activities/915959155

There were loads of good sections but the best part I remember was this long section of trail going along Cubar and Froggatt Edge. The scenery and quality of riding on that section make it one of my favourite sections of riding I’ve ever ridden and really stood out amongst the other stuff. I think it’s the best thing I’ve ever ridden in the Peaks.

Unfortunately its a 1 hr 30 minute drive for me to get over here so I don’t do it often at all.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Stanage is good but there is quite a lot of Road involved to link it with the other stuff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lady Cannings Routes’ is closed to new replies.