Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lads long weekend riding overseas, Best location??
  • NedFlanders
    Free Member

A group of weekend warriors looking for some trail fun late summer next year for 4 days maybe more. Most like to think they are DH gods and some of us prefer a more xc ride.

Ideas please

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

AUSTRIA defo.

I lived here now 5 months and i have no riding anywhere that has more to offer than here in the uk.

Ride up at St Johann or Innsbruck if your staying here. Igls was a great ride and up from Seagrube down was great also… With some obstacles too..

Nick

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The seven mile bridge might do you, but as the names suggests, its only about 7 miles long so hardly a long weekends worth, could link it up with a trip to disney land since it is in florida

looks blooody good tho

postierich
    Free Member

Finale Ligure in Italy,on the coast with some nice riding in the hills.
    Cheap flights to Nice or Genoa

hainey
    Free Member

Long weekend fun – got to be Pila.

edoverheels
    Free Member

If you want to keep downhillers and xc happy then try Rivierabike in Italian Alps. Good mix of uplift and XC. Good trails and accommodation. We have same problem with mix of ambitions but has kept us all happy. May go back for a third year if it was not so lacking in imagination.

Mackem

Basque country, good mix of trails, good food, wine and nightlife. Fly into Bilbao or Biarritz.

GavinB

Switchbacks – Spain

Been twice now: once as a XC-type of trip to Bubion, once as a DH trip to Malaga. Both times have been amazing, with some of the best riding I have ever done. Rougher and more tech, but doable for both the DH and XC type of rider depending on what you feel like doing, but when its Oct/Nov and you can have a cheap beer afterwards in 25 deg outside a bar, it kinda makes a good weekend away. Non?

GavinB

Mackem – never been to the Basque part of the country. What's the riding like there?

Mackem

Pretty much anything you like, all natural too. Have a look at http://www.basquemtb.com for an idea. There was an article in the last STW about the area too.

I have nowt to do with the above BTW, other than having gone for a couple of rides with Doug, the owner. I live in the Basque country and I like it a lot, so quite happy to advertise the place when I can.

I also have to say one of the big attractions is the off-bike stuff. There's some great places and there'll be loads of local festivals going on which are always a lot of fun. Perfect for a "lads weekend" I'd say.

GlennG
    Free Member

+1 for Switchbacks, 7 times and still keep going, as GavinB says you have a choice of XC or DH, Mike does short weekend breaks.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I just saw this thread. Thanks for the recommendation mackem, see you for a blast in January hopefully.

Ned, give me a shout if you'd like more information on the local festivals etc, they can be quite a lot of fun 😆 We'd be happy to sort you out with places to go for partying as well, my partner Amaia's rather knowledgable in that area 🙄

On the bike side of things we have loads of XC options ranging from moderate to extreemely technical and there's several rather nice DH courses nearby for that 'sort of thing'!

chilli
    Free Member

Morzine,Avoriaz,Chatel,can't go wrong unless you've been loads of times before,easy to get to and loads of interesting trails if you syay away from the usual passportes stuff!Can do you a good deal for a long weekend.

http://www.alpview.co.uk/summer/

Bregante

Pyrenees: Can't recommend these highly enough. whilst I was there last year there was a group of lads from London on a long weekend. Everything from La Molina/Les Angles bike parks to endless miles of glorious singletrack. Awesome

http://www.altitudeadventure.com

spanishbarry
    Free Member

Here in Southern spain , cheap flights to Malaga ,good night life if you stay on the coast and some great riding oh and the best weather anywhere in Europe ,could try Sierra cycling their near to me

duntmatter
    Free Member

As spanishbarry said. http://www.sierracycling.com can tailor rides to what you need. I had a great time there in October.

switchbacks
    Free Member

Hey, flights into Malga are about 2.5 hours from the UK and the transfer time to the DH tracks only 15mins from the airport. This means you can fly out on a Thursday am and get in a full days riding on yer transfer day. Same applies back if you leave on a Monday pm. So 5 days away and 4.5/5 days of riding = nice. Plus then add to it the terrors of the Costa del Sol nightlife and well….
    Perfect bike is 6" or more and I have got fullface helmets you can ride with for no extra charge.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Don't forget freeridespain, been out there three times and love it 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lads long weekend riding overseas, Best location??’ is closed to new replies.