Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Ladies padded shorts and saddle
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mrs Mainwaring, who is not a big cycling fan, is on the Spring “must get fit and trim” kick, so she’s going to start using my old Rockhopper on the local roads. Went out the first time today and came back complaining of a sore backside.

Can you recommend some nicely padded shorts she can wear under walking trousers. We don’t want to spend a fortune on all new riding kit in case she really does not get on with it after a few weeks, but I do want to encourage her as much as possible.

While you’re about it, could you also suggest a comfy saddle for ladies? She will only be using the bike on roads and fire roads so does not need a proper MTB saddle

Bunnyhop

She doesn’t even have to buy shorts, padded liners will do (if wearing under somthing like walking trousers). I’m not keen on the walking trousers though, as the seam runs up the centre, not good for riding bikes imo. She’s probably better with a pair of cycling shorts and nothing underneath.
    Also a spot of something like sudacreme or mintyarselard will help.

Sorry don’t know about comfy saddles, only have the harder mtb type, (specialized).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks Bunnyhop. How does the pad stay in place? Sorry if this is a numpty question – I don’t use any padding myself as I have quite enough “natural” padding in that area.

Agree she would probably be better off without the trousers. How about some recommendations on 3/4 length with pad

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I didn’t find the undershorts/liners very nice! The pad really makes you feel like you’re wearing a nappy. But if you pay a little more to get some quality shorts with a decent liner that when off the bike you don’t notice them so much!
    Lusso do some nice shorts (and quite flattering) for £20 or a little more expensive but I love are the De Marchi women’s ones at £35.

Saddle wise I have an expensive one on my Giant Reign. But on my winter hack bike and road bike I have a WTB, one of these which aren’t mega expensive:

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=

stealthcat

Any padded liners I’ve used have been lightweight versions of normal shorts, just a bit cheaper. The best padded 3/4s I’ve had are Pearl Izumi, but they aren’t cheap – maybe you can convince her to get ordinary shorts and a cheap pair of lycra tights?
    Probably worth looking at the Specialized saddles – they do some slightly more “leisure cyclist” ones as well as the MTB ones – heavier, but still seem reasonably comfortable. I know some people get on well with the Terry saddles as well…

london_lady
    Free Member

Sugoi do some decent liners – their baggy shorts/capris are designed such that the liners can be removed and worn under other trousers/shorts etc. I have the sugoi ricaro liner which I find rather comfortable.

TheSponsor
    Free Member

I have Protective lycra 3/4 longs from Edinburgh Bikes which have a comfy, reasonably streamlined pad that doesn’t force you to walk like John Wayne off the bike. As Bunnyhop said, some chamois cream makes quite a difference to comfort levels.

mrsflash
    Free Member

My most comfy shorts are my enduros. Saddles are totally personal, everyone will have a different recommendation.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Oops – When I saw the title, I thought I was looking at the classifieds again. Wrong forum…….

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mrsmw has gone few a few different saddles until she’s found one she likes. every woman seems to like different ones, very much down to…ahem…the shape they are..most common amongst our friends seems to be the bontrager womens saddles but there weren’t any in the country last time we looked.

As for shorts, spend the money now or she’ll never ride a bike again! Pearl Izumi seem to be good. make sure she doesn’t wear anything with a seam down the centre of the crotch, even over padded shorts.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You know that nowadays most saddle manufacturers have a 14 day returns policy if she doesn’t like it. Definately worth looking at some of those if she isn’t sure what she wants.

It’s definately worth investing a few quid in good shorts as they will m ake a massive difference. Wiggle or CRC often have some good discounts on more expensive stuff.

zaskar
    Free Member

Pics of other half? 😈

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks all. Have discussed with “she who must be obeyed” and we are going to go down the route of some padded shorts to see if they make a difference. She is only doing short rides at the moment, so will put up with wearing them under walking trousers. If this works and she starts getting into it, will go for cycling trousers and possibly saddle

matt_outandabout

mrs_oab bought a pair of Nike Pro padded lycra shorts in JE James sale (£14 odd from £40 something) – and the difference between them and her old Polaris padded ‘undershorts’ is amazing apparently. padded, comfy,. but not nappy like.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks MOA – will have a look at them as well

flowergirl
    Free Member

Sugoi liners are on minx-girl website for under 20 quid. I find Sugoi stuff excellent.
    Saddle wise Terry saddles are very highly rated by my backside!!!

Oh and for goodness sake, don’t let her ride for too long on your old saddle. There’s a HUGE difference between a ladies saddle and a blokes! Treat her to one for Easter 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Flowergirl I completely agree! I think 20 mins on your “manly” saddle would be enough to put any girl off riding for ever!!! Get her a new saddle they don’t have to be expensive and as I’ve said a lot do the 14 day money back!

bionicwoman
    Free Member

altura 3/4 womens are value for money and charge saddles cheap but effective

sleepy_hollow
    Free Member

Flowergirl’s comment on saddles – i totally agree. invest in a saddle or borrow one for a month until she’s convinced. You try riding a woman’s saddle for a few hours and see how keen you are to go out the next day!

Bunnyhop

Capt. The padded inners are usually sewn into the shorts, that way they don’t move around.

As you’re an mtber yourself, I’m sure you will get her saddle height right. Out on trails I often see the poor wife or g.f lagging behind the partner with her saddle too low, usually so low her knees are hitting her chin when pedalling.

Happy riding.

Sue_W
    Free Member

another tip – slightly drop the nose of the saddle as it takes some of the pressure of more sensitive areas (and definately get a women’s saddle – men’s saddles are so painful for women!)

Personally I favour Pearl izumi shorts

watly_biker
    Free Member

dhb shorts are very good and cheap ( I got mine from Wiggle).

mrsflash
    Free Member

See here is where a lot of girls think I’m wierd, I hate womens saddles, I ride mens saddles. Such a personal thing it’s really hard to recommend one.

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto MrsF – my wife hated the women’s saddle on her bike – she much prefers the (men’s) Fizik Nisene that she has now.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks all again for the suggestions. Have ordered some padded shorts and providing she gets into it, will invest in a woman’s saddle as well.

Bunnyhop – yes absolutely made sure that the saddle heightt etc was all set up correctly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My wife got into mountain biking on my old Tracer. The one thing that made the biggest difference was a proper saddle. She started looking at big soft ones but she trusted my advice that it’s more about where you’re supported than how much sponge they use. She got measured up for a Specailized Jett and never looked back.

Girly specific shorts are number two!

Sandwich

Bunnyhop Mrs Sandwich objected quite strongly (in very unladylike language) when I set her saddle correctly. It took several goes before it was set right, though she’s still not keen on the tip toes standing.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Wiggles own brand of (I think it was Earnley) padded shorts are cheap and have a much nicer pad than many more expesive brands. Plus if they dont fit, thier return service is very very efficient.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I too use a blokes saddle – most of the womens ones are way too wide, so I keep getting pushed forward along the saddle.

I use a charge spoon (mens) at the moment. Its a hard saddle, so some might find it off putting, but its an excellent shape and you get padding from the shorts, plus its only £20.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I agree with the other girls. But also imo, padded shorts are a bit pointless if she’d riding a men’s saddle. I know everyone’s different but a great starting point would be the Charge Ladle (equivilent to Spoon) it’s nice and wide so will be comfortable for most womens (don’t let the lack of padding put her off – it’s all about the shape!). Plus they’re only about £20 from Evans/Wiggle or similar so an absolute bargain! Well worth the investment – the difference is incredible! Please don’t make her ride yours – I feel so strongly I’d almost offer to buy it myself!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Ladies padded shorts and saddle’ is closed to new replies.