Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lack of Travel on Vanilla’s
  • lowey

Got a new set of Vanilla’s for xmas. Had plenty of rides on them now so hopefully they would be considered as well bedded in, however, even with the lightest spring in, I can only get 110mm travel out of the supposed 140mm. Anything obvious I can check ?

I am 11.5 stone and have ridden them pretty hard, certainly as hard as the terrain that used to very occasionally bottom out my old set.

Thanks all…..

doof_doof
    Free Member

Take the coil out and see if you can compress them the full 140mm.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

As has been stated, undo the left leg topcap so you can compress the forks as far down as they can go. If it only goes down 110mm then it is the oil volume in the right leg stopping you getting full travel. If this is the case you need to drain the oil out of the right leg, take out the dampener and cycle it in and out until all the oil is out of it also. Then re-fitt the dampener and pour in the correct amount of oil, 7.5wt, I think it’s around 160ml. You should then be able to get full travel.

lowey

Right, they compress fully without the spring. Maybe I;m not trying hard enough.

wors

eat some more pies!

lowey

Would changing the oil weight help ?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Would changing the oil weight help ?

Yes.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

are these the forks that yoshimi got full travel out of on saturday?
    pies are definitely the answer if so!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Changing the oil weight will reduce the compression damping and make them faster to compress – but will only be a marginal difference as the same total force will compress them the same total amount as it is the spring you are compressing.

Reducing the preload will allow them to travel more but will also give more sag.

Really you need a lighter spring

lowey

Really you need a lighter spring

You would have thought so, but I’m 73kg and according to Fox :-

The Blue spring for weight range 68.0-81.6kg

I’m running the Purple spring which is 52.2-68.0kg !!

So the spring I have in, in theory, should blast through its travel.

Herbivore, yeah Danny achieved more travel just by sitting on the fooker than I have by riding them since christmas.

Doing my head in to be honest. I think the most I have ever got out of them is 105mm. Its not the terrain either… Blasted round all the drops on the Black at Lee Quarry on Sunday.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stop worrying about it? do the forks feel plush? They get full travel without the spring and with a heavier rider so I doubt there is much wrong with the fork. Back all adjusters off to zero?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lack of Travel on Vanilla’s’ is closed to new replies.