Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Lack of trail etiquette on this years Real Ale Wobble
  • jj55

On the Saturday run at this years Real Ale Wobble I was barged off the singletrack on more than one occasion by a load of idiots who insisted on racing down the narrow singletrack overtaking others on a trail that was was only wide enough for one bike at a time – why! You could see there were many of us taking it easy, trying not to wipe ourselves out on the swamped & badly eroded trail C'mon…. if you want to 'downhill' like Steve Peat then please wait for a gap in the riders!!! or even a shout of 'rider on the left' would help!!

Don't ruin it for others!!

PJ266
    Free Member

Barged? as in physical contact?

oldgit
    Free Member

This is becoming a common theme on and off road. You were probably in the precence of Gods. Though I always find it strange that these Gods are always behind you?

oldgit
    Free Member

Again these very same Gods of cycling can often be seen at the start of events, and be seen to hoon off majestically only to decide to walk the first climb. Gods do move in mysterious ways!

jj55

Yes – barged! Yes – physical contact! They were basically all trying to keep up with their mates in front. More than once I had to slam on the brakes and slew to a halt blocking the way for riders behind when I was cut up by these 'gentlemen'! The first you knew they were coming by was when they appeared very quickly at your elbow!

Not pleasant!

PJ266
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I've only really ridden in one event (last years dyfi enduro) and I did overtake alot of people on the descents, I ride in the dyfi regularly so know the trails, and was also overtaken alot on the ups by the same people (some people are just faster down than they are up) Didnt once make any contact with anyone though.

To be fair they were probably all pished 😉

jj55

I don't think they were pished – just ignorant!

easygirl

i agree, i saw riders barging past others, some of the downhills were easy for my skill level, but difficult for others.
    It was frustrating, but i waited for the others at the front of me to clear the trail, only to see some muppetts ride past me and knock others out of the way.
    Sad really

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It's a bit rude, but I'm not sure it warrants space on the internet. Why do people get so stressed about relatively minor things on here?

sheldona
    Free Member

Didn't really notice any barging going on this year but on saying that we had a great start so didn't really have that many in front of us to get in our way or anyone behind us to push us off.

What I did notice was the amount of gates left open when it clearly asks the wobblers to shut the gates, thats just rude.

poppa
    Free Member

@paulrockliffe

If jj55's post doesn't warrant space on the internet then your post definitely doesn't. 😉

jj55

'relatively minor thing' – think about that statement when you are approaching 60 years of age and some clown knocks you straight off your bike – you don't bounce as well as you used too!!

robbo1234biking

Someone whos comes out with us on our night rides does this. It is so frustrating as when going down some of downhill bits you cant be 100% sure about changing your line in case he comes flying past! With the rest of the group you know they arent going to do anything silly. Lucky for us though he is a fair weather rider so wont be out much now!

singlespeedstu

What I found annoying was having to ride with the 'tollah up there. 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

;-0

sofaking
    Free Member

those pesky singlespeed riders pi55ed me right off over taking on the ups and not letting me catch them on the downs, riding their freak wheeled machines with rigid forks and far too much skill 👿

i hate you all … you know who you are

notlocal
    Free Member

I hate this sort of thing. Like Robbo, I ride with a guy who seems to find it hilarious when he overtakes on some sketchy downhill section of the trail without warning, and usually at high speed. He very nearly wiped out one of our guys, forcing him off line and towards a very large tree on a corner.

We've nicknamed him 2bells………….because that's what he needs. 👿

singlespeedstu

riding their freak wheeled machines with rigid forks and far too much skill

pot/kettle/black.

alfabus
    Free Member

We had a great wobble this year… partly aided by the fact that we left well before everyone else.

We got bored of the usual hour long period of standing around in the rain with the announcement bloke droning on; so we just set off. Saw about 20-30 other riders all day… the pack never caught us up.

Beer and music in the evening were as good as ever.. even if the uber salty hog roast did make me gag slightly!

Dave

jj55

Saturday night in the Neuadd Arms was great …. as ever! – my only concern was that the floor was going to give way! Very sad to see the town slowing declining with the shops all closed! Obviously hard times in Llanwrtd

sheldona
    Free Member

I agree with sofaking, those SSers were takin the pish one of them oooozed niche over the trail made it proper slippy

atlaz
    Free Member

I don't think it's limited to the Wobble. One of the "pro" teams at D2D seemed to piss off a load of riders for their lack of regard in how and where they overtook.

daj
    Free Member

We had a good Wobble, Didnt think it had the same atmosphere as last year, Did notice plenty of knobs when stacking back up waiting for the river crossing etc coming flying down the outsides ERRRRM YEAH JUST WAITING HERE FOR THE FU@KING FUN OF IT?!?!

There was even a "Coming through" ??? ha.ha

Where?? There is a queue of about 30 riders!?!??!

Pleased to ad the dick head ended up with an endo and face full of mud.

Quite agree I dont normally get wound up by such things but a 30 mph mountain bike with rider would be a nasty weapon hitting a group of standing people.

sofatester
    Free Member

Quite agree I dont normally get wound up by such things but a 30 mph mountain bike with rider would be a nasty weapon hitting a group of standing people.

We should ban them! 😉

stumpy01

You always get a few people doing this at events
    – first bottleneck with many queuing & the odd person will push past as far as he can – should have got off the line faster.
    – people who you follow you along fireroad with ample opportunity to pass and then wait until the next tight singletrack to actually attempt to pass.
    – people who pass you at the end of a fireroad as it dives into singletrack and then rides dead slow through it (normally the most fun section of singletrack)
    – People who shout "elite rider coming through" and expect you to dive off into the undergrowth to get out of the way.

I used to be quite intimidated by all of this when I first started entering events, but now I just give as good as I get. I am not that fit so am always going to be passed at events & try to be polite & let people past as quickly as I safely can. The people who are rude/shovy/make contact etc just get a torrent of abuse aimed at them. Sometimes they apologise & genuinely didn't mean it, other times they carry on their way & you can give them a grin when you overtake them half a lap later when they have a puncture.

Funny thing is, the really fast riders don't need to be rude & pushy -they come past and are normally polite. It's normally the mid-pack riders who obviously think they are better than they are.

Oh – one more that really gets my goat and has only happened at the 24/12 (both years I've done it). Rider behind shouts "on your right" so I go left, again – "on your right" a bit more aggressively – erm, I am as far over as I can go. One final shout of "on your right" followed by the response of "Do you actually mean right, or left?"….."oh, I meant left" – great.

thekingofsweden

You should try getting cut up on a Tandem

Barge me i barge you no matter that QoS plainly told peolple just to wait a mo …….then they look up and say

'your on a tandem'!!!

Yes we are aware of that, it makes you realise they can only see the bit of trail there on.

And as for those singlespeeders what a load of

Great fun tho

Video on you tube later EiaSF

singlespeedstu

You should try getting cut up on a Tandem

You deserve it for being so niche with your twoseaterlookatusbike. 😉

Not looking forwards to seeing the vidoe later though. 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

i thought it was a ramble not a race, is racing allowed on bridleways these days?

thekingofsweden

Only just caught it you enter stage left very quickly

Respect is due 😀

singlespeedstu

KoS.

You need to grow a bigger wok and use the power of the two engined niche chariot to batter your way through the mere commoners. 😉

thekingofsweden

Apperently proportional to my hieght i have the largest Wok which came as quite a suprise to me and wokky baby

Move over mere mortals

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The tandemeers cry " half bikes? We use 'em for traction"

"geroutofmyway"

We are running an all up weight of around 30 stone. don't get in our way it will hurt 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

We are running an all up weight of around 30 stone. don't get in our way it will hurt

and the rest if its old 'splosion on his, most of the weight is on the front before queenywhiteshoes kicks off 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Lack of trail etiquette on this years Real Ale Wobble’ is closed to new replies.