Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lack of Motivation and GPS
  • ali69er
    Free Member

Hi,

Couple of weeks back I attempted to do a 45km race through the redwoods, Rotorua, basically after 2hrs 20 I pulled up with cramp and could barely move. I realised afterwards that I was totally under hydrated and the 250ml of water consumed during that time showed how easy it is to underhydrate when riding with a back pack. I thought I had had loads.

Since moving to NZ in Jan I have cut down loads on how much I ride, thought it would do be the other way round. Basically motivation is low. Can’t seem to get back my love affair, I had 2-3 months before I started to ride here and that lay off has been part of it. I have thought about getting a GPS as a way of challenging myself and training to get my fitness and stamina back.

Has this worked for anyone else, and does anyone know of any good deals on GPS units at the moment? Or any other ideas how to get the mojo back?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can try the phone GPS/Strava thing.

With a backpack just keep drinking when you need it. I use a 3l bladder, if you run out you didn’t have enough in your body to start with. If you really want you can get a flow meter for them.

Have you got people to ride with?

d45yth
    Free Member

GPS + Strava! If you can’t beat others on there, at least you can challenge your own previous times.

edit: beaten to it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ali69er
    Free Member

I do and I dont, there are groups around, I think this has been part of it, weekends are generally not a great option and there doesn’t appear to be any weekday group meetings. I used to do most my riding after work before I can out here which was perfect.

SiB
    Free Member

You’re in NZ where it looks like there is some fantastic riding to be had in good weather…….if this isnt enough theres no hope for you

Strava could help though, have a dabble on it before its too late

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where are you based? Local bike shop is probably a good place to start and entering events is a good way to meet people. I have been I the same boat in some ways since moving to tas though managed to self motivate. Managed to meet up with kiwiwjohn from here last weekend. Its all networking in a new place. If there is a group ride on a Saturday try and vet along swap contacts etc. In a new place you have to make the effort. Spring is here so go for it.

And riding with a bag works with practice.

Brainflex

Endomondo in nag mode works for me. Where you at? I am in Whakatane.

vorlich
    Free Member

Pick up an injury. You’ll be dying to ride in no time… 🙁

ali69er
    Free Member

Up in Auckland, tell me, are there any good online deals on GPS at the moment, Garmin or the like?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lack of Motivation and GPS’ is closed to new replies.