Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lace my owl wheels….will I die? No really?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Carbon rims competition spokes on 50mm Chinese carbon rims onto Hopes.

Triple laced? Never built a carbon wheel before.

I am going to die, I can feel it….

jruk
    Free Member

Depends on the type of owl. Barns are fine. Screech owls? Mental and will kill you.

leegee

If you are just lacing then you can’t do any harm. Sheldon Brown has a guide which helped me.

scaredypants

I reckon you’ll only need toowooo cross if these are road rims

AndyRT
    Free Member

Oh bugger, slight typo. Not road wheels 29+ wheels. 148 boost and 150mm front.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Try using the Tea Towl. Much better for wheels

AndyRT
    Free Member

Scardeypants, too funny

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread is a hoot!

Wally

Sounds like building them will be strixy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s good, Wally! Very good!

Northwind

This is snowy joke people.

If you can straighten a bent wheel, you can probably build a wheel from scratch. The first half, the lacing, is just about following instructions really. The second half, the tensioning and truing, is more involved and has more potential to go wrong but it’s not actually all that hard, especially with new rims and good quality parts.

Realistically the worst that can happen is you screw it up and end up getting a shop to un**** it for you. Which is no worse than just getting them to do it in teh first place. You have to really seriously screw up to damage a spoke or rim.

If you were just thinking of lacing but not tensioning, some shops aren’t delighted to have a pre-laced rim brought to them just for tensioning. Others don’t mind. I’d check first.

yunki
    Free Member

I would say make sure that you do your research (Sheldon mentioned above is very good) and be meticulous… you don’t want to end up being scraped up off the road by the scops..

dovebiker

If you’ve built wheels before, you know the drill however if you can borrow a tension-meter it’ll help as carbon rims don’t like over-tightened spokes. 3-cross is the norm and no need for anything fancy. Used some Sapim nipple washers on a recent build, helps on rear drive-side to spread the load better.

singlespeedstu

Just don’t have a barn y with anyone when it goes wrong.

breadcrumb

Not to mention of you get it wrong you’ll feel like a twit-too.

rs
    Free Member

look fine to me, i’d leave them as is…

but if you must you do know you can just buy a whole true owl, no adjustments required.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Once youv’e tensioned them, you need to twang the spokes I listen for the tone of each one with your Long Ears.
    Also, a spoke condition observation & placement system (SCOPS) is an adavantage if you have access to it.

singlespeedstu

I’d be tawn between doing it myself or taking it to a shop.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Flipping predictive text does my head in.

breadcrumb

This thread could make your head spin!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lace my owl wheels….will I die? No really?’ is closed to new replies.