Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Labradors – tell me about them.
  • dovebiker

Our choccy lab is 9 years old, she has a fantastic temperament, the least aggressive dog we’ve ever encountered – annoys my wife that she’s totally besotted with me! Downside is she eats poo and sometimes barfs it up on the carpet 🙁 She also has a chronic irritable skin condition requiring steroids that means she’s now going bald – took years to find the right treatment as she’d lick/chew the skin of her paws raw. My wife’s sister has her litter brother – just had a £6k vet bill following a near-fatal liver condition as a result of eating something…he was staying with us puking and passing blood – luckily a referral to Royal Veterinary College saved his life as the ordinary vets were useless. We’ve also got a basset hound and had other hounds previously – for character, fun and loyalty they’re 10x better than labs, but not exactly obedient.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The greedy trait is from a faulty gene. It may be possible to avoid…

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2086840-labradors-get-fat-thanks-to-gene-mutation-linked-to-hunger/

Tiger6791

Magnetodog is a Lab retriever

He is ace!!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Very smart with the propensity to be equally stupid. My boy is 6 and still a teenager. Great with kids, my 4yr and 8month old love him, he loves them, they both give as good as they get.

I run XC 5km’s with mine, he loves it. Loves a trail ride too but no more than 20km and he needs water stops.

Truly a best friend. Like a best friend, he’ll annoy you from time to time. Loves mud, water and fresh horse sh*t.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like Labradors …

Actually I just like all dogs & cats …

welshfarmer

Did we do the video of Stella yet 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYNv9YKHM4[/video]

julzm
    Free Member

@khani you just made my day. Mine is 5 and I’m always worrying what I’ll do when he’s not there anymore, if he gets to 23 I’ll be delighted.

Black labs in particular seem to be a bit more nuts than the yellow ones I’ve met. Mine is a big working dog, 34kg, not fat but only because we measure his food and he gets a lot of exercise. Too smart by far and can be adorably demanding.

Great with kids but doesn’t like strange large men (I’ve met other black labs with same trait). Generally very quiet unless someone is at the front door, then he barks nervously. Mine will not steal food but will sit in front of the oven when I’m baking cakes and then runs back and forward between rooms to find me when the buzzer goes off.

Be sure that you’re up for:
    – being told when it’s feeding time (twice per day)
    – lots of exercise (mine has to carry a ball everywhere) – about 2 hrs per day.
    – drooling around food
    – put the effort in to train when young, particularly walking on a lead and recalls.
    – those big puppy eyes telling you he wants something
    – not leaving him alone all day every day unless you tire him out first.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mines 10 and is terribly lame with hip dysplaysia.. Its probably his last summer 😥

Hes been an awesumz dog though.. amazingly loyal, perfect guard dog (protective but not aggressive) and has been so good with 3 small children even though he is in discomfort / pain. He’s also very Hairy, has a tendency to steal toast off the children, seems to be a flea magnet, and will do anything for a dentastix.

simmy
    Free Member

Nothing more to add so I will just post a pic of my terrible twosome

Despite having a bed each, they often end up like this. They are ace 😀

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I have got a working Lab and he is great at bricklaying. Shame really because I am a Painter!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Labradors – tell me about them.’ is closed to new replies.