Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Labour leadership vote – can I claim my money back?
  • pondo

I paid my twenty five quid to vote in the leadership contest but the day after I voted, I got an email saying my vote hadn’t been counted because of views contrary to the party’s policies, or something similarly fluffy. I think, if they’re going to pull this shit, they should do it before they take my cash – I’ve asked for a refund but heard nowt back, is there any likelyhood of at least a Pyrric victory if I raise a small claim?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was there a box you ticked saying that you were/belived/had never and accepted that if you were rejected/lied/mislead then your cash was gone?
    Anyway you paid to join the Labour party, guess you are a member now?

martinhutch

Anyway you paid to join the Labour party, guess you are a member now?

No, the £25 is just so rich people can vote for Jeremy. No other membership privileges.

Reminds me, must cancel my direct debit, since I got retrospectively disenfranchised as well. Labour appears to have form for this.

Which policy were you deemed to be against? Are you one of the fabled SWP ‘Entryists’?

footflaps

I voted, I got an email saying my vote hadn’t been counted because of views contrary to the party’s policies, or something similarly fluffy.

You and 189,000 other people have been banned for social media comments (allegedly)….

pondo

You and 189,000 other people have been banned for social media comments (allegedly)..

Just feels a bit contrary to the democratic process, is all – if they hadn’t taken my money I wouldn’t be as bothered. I’ll write to my Labour MP (which will achieve nothing, but you have to do these things I guess).

pondo

Which policy were you deemed to be against? Are you one of the fabled SWP ‘Entryists’?

Apparently “You made inappropriate comments in your registered supporter application”.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume it’s been removed but I can’t see a pay here to vote option… did you read all the T&C’s?

martinhutch

“You made inappropriate comments in your registered supporter application”.

Was it “I want Labour to win the next election.”?

the-muffin-man

Did you tick the ‘Heterosexual’ box?

frankconway

Did you keep a copy of your application as you could then find the ‘inappropriate comments’.
    If you didn’t, contact them and ask for copy of application with comments highlighted.
    If they say we can’t provide a copy or they ignore your request then you can have fun….accuse them of fraud and misrepresentation, taking money under false pretences, make comments about legal action and discussing with police – you and thousands denied a vote having paid £25 a pop is a five or six figure scam etc etc, write about it on their social media sites and contact your local labour mp making all of these points.
    Unless…..you’re prepared to write off £25 as a gift or donation.
    I know what I would do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As the OP says he is not a member of the party. I believe the appeals process involves joining the party and then making a formal complaint.

OP care to share some thoughts about what you may have posted to offend them ?

How did they find your social media posts, surely you did not give them your facebook / twitter accounts – you should have just said none and applied with a fresh email address ? As an aside my French friends all have facebook accounts which are hard to trace, usually nickname and false surname.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@frank it’s not a scam, the T&C’s are clear. They can reject your application. The appeals process is also clear.

footflaps

As an aside my French friends all have facebook accounts which are hard to trace, usually nickname and false surname.

You can just make your account unsearchable by email and make your posts friends only…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

caveat emptor

frankconway

@jambalaya; pondo hasn’t said he posted comments using social media so we don’t know if that’s the origin of the decision.
    As for Ts & Cs they may well be clear but I would suggest the majority of members joined in good faith without ‘interrogating’ Ts & Cs to see if having expressed critical comments would have any consequences.
    I agree it’s not a scam but this form of ‘party management’ is neither fair for reasonable.
    My comment about asking for clarification of inappropriate comments still stands.
    Are pondo’s social media a/cs private?
    I walked away from labour years ago and nothing I see would encourage me to return.

bails

I agree it’s not a scam but this form of ‘party management’ is neither fair for reasonable

I’ve seen people claiming to have been banned because they previously expressed support for other parties. If you’re tweeting “haha, I’m going to infiltrate labour and destroy them from the inside because I love the Tories” on the day that they receive your application then there’s fair grounds for it. But when they’re taking your money but not giving you a vote because 12 months ago you said you liked the look of some of the Green’s policies that’s a bit off.

pondo

The message said it related to what I put in my application, so I couldn’t say with any certainty that it’s related to anything I posted on social media. But what stinks to me is that I didn’t vote straight away, I waited until half way through the voting period, and within hours of voting I got the email saying it didn’t count. Almost as though they were waiting to see which way I voted before vetting my application.

Frank, I like your thinking – will see what happens.

footflaps

I’ve seen people claiming to have been banned because they previously expressed support for other partiesJeremy Corbyn.

FIFY……

Post Party Conference, when the NEC members change, I would expect the party to calm down a bit as most of the JC Haters lost their seats on the NEC.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Out of interest – why is it called a “leadership” vote when the front runner is not a leader?

ade9933
    Free Member

Write in and try. I wrote in with a screen shot of their website stating “join and vote in the leadership election” but I was on DD so just cancelled it.

Disgustingly misleading.

lol @ the thought of this:

No, the £25 is just so rich people can vote for Jeremy. No other membership privileges.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@pondo I suspect they are overwhelmed by people paying the £3/25 as such they are prioritising and using the fact you have voted to check your application. I am sure there is so ething their they regard as against the rules – eg “like-ing” – proscribed organisations page ? I don’t know that’s a guess but there will be something. If I wher registering to vote and I thought about it for £3 last year I wouod have done so with a varient of my name and with a fresh untracable email address, oh and a landline. Just saying.

@footflaps relying on facebook settings is placing your trust in them to regulate your privcacy. That imo is very naive. In any case fb can just update their t&c’s at any time and change that.

ulysse
    Free Member

My political party of choice is still receiving my membership dues, I was engaged every step of the way and actively encouraged to participate in voting in the leadership election.
    I wasn’t banned for once voting Labour in 1997,i wasnt banned for spending most of 2010 ripping Clive Lord a new bottom.
    Go figure

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Go figure

They’ll accept anyone? 😕

ulysse
    Free Member

I think you’re confusing us with UKIP

Or was that a request for membership?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Or was that a request for membership?

Err, no thanks.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Labour leadership vote – can I claim my money back?’ is closed to new replies.