Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Labour: A threat to our national security
  • oldbloke
    Free Member

Your language is deteriorating Ernie. Google would take you less time than me giving you a link. I don’t know what outofbreath has heard, but please don’t insult the dead in NI. It is where I’m from and some of the friends I left behind aren’t above ground.

Nolan transcript

grum
    Free Member

SN: But do you condemn what the IRA did?

JC: I condemn all bombing, it is not a good idea, and it is terrible what happened.

Pretty clear, so why keep asking the question?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

please don’t insult the dead in NI.

What the **** are you talking about ? 😯

Google would take you less time than me giving you a link

I did. I googled “Corbyn quote IRA” and found nothing under google news.

I’m not sure how your link helps. I’m interested in the quote which outofbreath claims condemns Corbyn. It could be anything in that transcript, for example is it this ?

Jeremy Corbyn: Quite simply I maintained contact with Sinn Fein and believed that there had to be a political, not a military, solution to the situation in Northern Ireland.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldbloke
    Free Member

Pretty clear, so why keep asking the question?

As mud. If you’re going to make specific mention of the British Army and Bloody Sunday then why not feel able to be equally pointed about, say, Enniskillen or Warrenpoint? It makes him appear less critical of IRA activity. He was handed a great opportunity there to be even handed and statesmanlike yet he couldn’t take it.

grum
    Free Member

What a load of bollocks. You have to be really looking for offence to find it there. He doesn’t specifically condemn the UVF either does he? Why’s that not a problem for you?

Look I condemn what was done by the British Army as well as the other sides as well.

That’s condemning the violence on all sides, but apparently that’s not good enough for some reason. 😕

oldbloke
    Free Member

Crossed posts Ernie? Googling what Corbyn said to Nolan. I’m not sure he’s said anything new on the IRA for a while.

I’ve no idea what outofbreath heard either, although I suggested a possibility earlier.

oldbloke
    Free Member

No, it isn’t grum. Think back to Paxman and Michael Howard.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There was once widespread support for “the armed struggle” in the Labour Party, as there was of course within the nationalist community in NI.

I have not however heard any evidence to suggest that that Corbyn ever argued in favour of the armed struggle, on the contary – there’s evidence to suggest the opposite. So let’s not condemn someone for something which they haven’t done.

And just for the record let me make my position emphatically clear – I did not at any time think that the situation in NI justified an armed struggle. And even if it had I would never have supported brutal IRA terrorists targeting non-military civilian targets. I condemned all acts of terrorism by both nationalists and loyalists.

sbob
    Free Member

Finally, in the interests of misquoting and cutting bits from speeches and not understanding them I’d like to add “there is no such thing as society”.

Nope, it’s just you and me brother. 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

If the leader really does condemn IRA violence I trust he’ll be sacking his Shadow Chancellor:

“It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA.”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do you expect the leader of the Tory Party to sack all those in his party who refuse to condemn Bloody Sunday? Or the actions of the B-Specials? Or the hate motivated actions of the loyalist community?

The Troubles was a tragedy for NI, people on all sides were wrong, among that there was the occasional voice of sanity, eg :

“Quite simply I maintained contact with Sinn Fein and believed that there had to be a political, not a military, solution to the situation in Northern Ireland”

Now years later those who helped to maintain the senseless cycle of violence for so long want to condemn Corbyn and whitewash their own failures.

And so it turns out outofbreath that you weren’t using to a quote by Corbyn to condemn him, you were using a quote by someone else to do that.

Pathetic. And gets back to the point if there was real shit to throw it would have been thrown.

binners

That last bastion of unbiased, intelligent, rational and considered debate has spoken fairly unambiguously

Its so hysterical, its pure comedy. Particularly the online comments underneath. You can almost hear the London Cabby/Essex white van driver ranting them.

And another ****ing thing…..

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And another ****ing thing….. Northern monkeys… Can list all the problems but ain’t got no solutions

😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I have not however heard any evidence to suggest that that Corbyn ever argued in favour of the armed struggle, on the contary – there’s evidence to suggest the opposite.

Not even the burning out of homes? With hindsight it’s easy to criticise, and obviously understand the futility of it all and how it all turned out to be a shitfest of hatred, but there was justification for defending your home against pogroms.

You do have a right to self defence.

Escalation to the formation of the Provisionals and offensive tactics is a different story, and who knows where the civil rights movement would have led if it was the only avenue of protest, but like I say that’s easy to say with hindsight, completely different story on the ground in the early 70s.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And another ****ing thing … what the **** is van Gaal playing at ?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

And another ****ing thing …. I hope that Carol the weather bird with the big cans does alright on Strictly

kimbers

apparently the Tory video has been taken down, because its using stuff out of context and the writer of the quotes has claimed copyright infringement

the nasty party really are quite low arent they?

fortunately cassetteboy has saved the day

http://www.theguardian.com/news/video/2015/sep/15/cassetteboy-cameron-corbyn-video?CMP=twt_gu

binners

Ro5ey – Member

And another ****ing thing … what the **** is van Gaal playing at ?

😀

grum
    Free Member

The ceremony for new Privy Council members involves kneeling on a cushion and brushing the lips against the hand of the monarch while swearing to be a “true and faithful Servant”.

Isn’t it great living in the 21st Century?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

kneeling on a cushion

WTF? As a loyal subject I would kneel on broken glass for Her Majesty.

If someone requires a cushion they are probably suspect and a threat to national security.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Seems crazy to me that all MPs and Ministers have to swear/affirm their allegiance to the Queen as do:

Judges and Magistrates
    Police Officers
    Armed Forces
    Clergy of the Church of England
    Scouts and Girl guides

With similar ceremonies in Canada, Australia and New Zealand and the rest of the Commonwealth realms where the Queen is head of state.

Couldn’t they save the breath and just get a jewel encrusted cast of the Queen’s ringpiece for serfs to lick?

Good on this guy for at least protesting

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Labour: A threat to our national security’ is closed to new replies.